Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

First time Colorado Elk Hunting - 62 or 521 for 1st rifle season?

bdubb78

I have been doing quite a bit of unit research for my first CO elk hunt. I originally was considering the OTC archery season after applying for my PP, but after an RMEF banquet in MI last night, I was greatly encouraged to make my first foray to CO a rifle hunt. Either way, I think I have everything narrowed to units 62 or 521. Although I feel like the difficulty of the terrain in 521 might give me a shot at less pressure (I'm from Southwest MI, so I am thinking even high pressure in CO will be perceived as low pressure to me), 62 is appealing due to the extensive wildfires in 2016. Any advice on past experiences for this season or weapon choice as a first hunt in CO would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Note: At this point in time, I consider any legal bull to be a quality hunt. Although something in the 270+ would be amazing, I would be happy with anything legal.

62 has plenty of elk, but it gets absolutely hammered due to the mild terrain. There are roads, atv trails, and foot trails all over the public.

There are a lot of elk there, but it would not be in my first or second choice.

If you are limited physically, want to ATV a lot, or just camp with a rifle in your hands, you'll like it fine.

I've hunted public land within 50 or 60 miles of major metropolitan areas in the East that were less crowded than 521 was last fall during archery season. Can't speak to first rifle, nor were we on the Wilderness in 521, but if 62 is more crowded, then color me impressed. I shot a bull, but it was the only elk either of us saw during a ten day hunt.

Thanks, Tbone and Mottlet. Tbone---if 62 wouldn't be on your list as a 1st or second choice for first rifle, what would? I basically arrived at that unit using gohunt's insider, looking at success rates, access, and their advice, as well as the fact (and hope) that despite having a 100% chance of drawing, it may have less action that an OTC unit. I am fully expecting other hunters. I plan to backpack hunt and get in as far as it takes to get it done, and mobility is not a concern for me. I am more than open to other suggestions before the 4th rolls around, and I am relegated to OTC units exclusively for either archery or 2nd/3rd rifle.

ya know...I wasn't paying attention. 1st season has limited permits, so go for it. I was thinking of the OTC 2nd and 3rd seasons.

If you want to back pack in, go to a wilderness area or country with more vertical. 62 is mild with the exception of some deep canyons.

What extensive wildfires are you referencing? There were a few smaller fires in 62 last year, but nothing big that I recall.

I grew up hunting both areas and still hunt them quite often. They are both packed with hunters. You can check the CPW's website for hunter numbers, but you are already on the right track choosing first rifle. You mention the terrain in 521 being difficult... I have packed animals out of 62 that hurt so bad that I only hunt there when VERY desperate. Either way, you can find more remote areas in both units but you will be quite a ways from the road. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

I don't know anything about 62, so I can't compare, but 521 at least has nice scenery, if you hike up to the ridges.

Have you hunted 521 before @COEngineer? and what are you thoughts. I mean besides the nice view?

I hunted 62 for many years in the 2000's. We did really good with cow elk during the second and third seasons. I only ever saw one six point bull during that time. I never tried 1st, I bet it could be a really fun hunt. I wouldn't mind trying that myself. Good luck with what ever you decide.

MASHER, there are elk in every unit west of I-25 (and a few east). I don't think 521 is any better or worse than most. I have had some luck there, but I have had years where we hardly saw anything but other hunters. I have hunted there during archery, 1st, and 3rd rifle. The OTC seasons are crazy - trucks filling up every trailhead and spilling over onto the highway. 1st season is less crowded and archery is generally less busy, but I have seen large groups (5-10 hunters) pack in there on horses for archery/muzzleloader. To sum up, it's a crap shoot, but there are always some elk in there.

My Bull.jpg

Here's my 62 1st season bull from a few years back. Hunted there most of my life, but it's gotten worse over the last few years. More outfitters and less elk, from my perspective. Still plenty of elk though. There's good bulls there for sure but they are hard to find. My dad took a 290" bull during muzzleloader a few years ago.

Last edited:
I have archery hunted 521 four times and have seen elk on every trip. It is very crowded usually, but I think any unit that doesn't take points or lots of luck to draw will be crowded. It's the effort and time you put in that will make the difference. Every time I have hunted 521 I have spent at least 7 consecutive days hunting and usually get into elk 2-3 days during that period. You usually need to put on some miles and know what your looking for in regard to sign. I learn a little more each time I go. We have taken elk in 521 on 2 trips out of 4 trips and have had other shot opportunities, but archery is archery. There aren't many secrets to 521 everyone knows where to look for elk, it's just being persistent that will get you into elk.

I appreciate the feedback. I put in for 1st rifle 521 (which also gets me 41, 42, 52, 411, and 421). Should be a guaranteed tag. We shall see. I am most likely sticking to 521, but I will e-scout the other units my tag gets me in as back up locations. Again, any and all advice is very welcome. Thanks, everyone!

Hey bdubb, How did this hunt work out for you? I'm thinking about a first rifle in 521 for next year and am trying to do a little research.

Thanks!

Got skunked. 521 is a big unit. I did a ton of research and e-scouting, met a great guy that had hunted the unit for 5 years in a row on here, scouted with him before the season plus 2 more on my own, and I never even saw an elk. Lots of people have had great luck and the odds seemed great. The game warden had good advice and confidence, but it is what it is. Ran into several outfitters headed into areas too far and hard for me on foot (8+ back) when considering I would have to hump it out over several trips by myself. In short, I put a lot of miles on my boots but came home empty handed. From the area I was in, it was extremely thick country, thicker than anything I anticipated from google earth, which made glassing surrounding ground impossible. It was going to be all about putting on miles and still hunting. There wasn't even sign anywhere except for a bedding area I found which looked like it was from archery season. That's hunting I guess. I am looking for ground for myself for next year, as I most likely won't be going back to that piece of land or at lthe very least not that portion of the unit.

Last edited:
521 is great elk country. It's no worse and no better than any other easy to draw/otc elk unit in CO. That's just how hunting is here. If the majority of the hunters got an elk, I don't think CPW would be able to issue the tags that they do. PM me the areas you tried and I can try and help some. I used to hunt 521 and had some success.

Unit 521, 42, 421 & 52?

Hey there ishootdasmallones, i leave Oct9th from Atlanta GA for the 1st rifle hunt and have been studying 521, 42, 421 & 52 boarders. This will be my first Elk hunt out west and to say im excited is an understatement! ANY advise you could toss my way i would be forever grateful!

I have archery hunted 521 four times and have seen elk on every trip. It is very crowded usually, but I think any unit that doesn't take points or lots of luck to draw will be crowded. It's the effort and time you put in that will make the difference. Every time I have hunted 521 I have spent at least 7 consecutive days hunting and usually get into elk 2-3 days during that period. You usually need to put on some miles and know what your looking for in regard to sign. I learn a little more each time I go. We have taken elk in 521 on 2 trips out of 4 trips and have had other shot opportunities, but archery is archery. There aren't many secrets to 521 everyone knows where to look for elk, it's just being persistent that will get you into elk.

Never been to Colorado but I'm planning a trip to 521 this year for archery have you been up in the raggeds?

521 Get hit pretty hard in the first season it is limited draw but still hit hard. If you aren't already in the draw 1st season for this year it is too late. There are a ton of 4 wheeler trails and 4 wheelers around the unit.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back