Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First Lite Merino wool

pointingdogsrule

So I am watching Meateater to night and he is advertising "First Lite" clothing...Merino wool. I have little experience with Merino wool and would like some input. Worth the $? Really that much warmer and does it keep a person dry?

Thanks in advance.

good luck to all
the dog

Merino trumps all synthetics IMO. I've worn it in sub zero temps to well over 100 degrees. I've sweated and hunted in it for days on end and it won't stink. I can put on a synthetic and wear it for half a day and it gets funky.

Good merino is worth every penny. I have stuff from Icebreaker, KUIU, First Lite, and Ibex....all have been great.

Merino trumps all synthetics IMO. I've worn it in sub zero temps to well over 100 degrees. I've sweated and hunted in it for days on end and it won't stink. I can put on a synthetic and wear it for half a day and it gets funky.

Good merino is worth every penny. I have stuff from Icebreaker, KUIU, First Lite, and Ibex....all have been great.

^^^ this.

I have Smartwool and core4. Worth every penny.

Yep, my experience has been the exact same as everyone else. Friend of mine works for F.L. and has been on a couple episodes of Meat Eater, legit company with a great product

Anyone tired of smelly poly shirts after a day should try merino. As a test hike 2 miles in poly socks and 2 miles in merino socks then hold them to your nose at the end of the day.

Minus 33 is another I like, save 50% buying standard earth tones instead of camo.

First Lite is awesome. Wore it for a whole week on our elk hunt last fall. Didn't stink a bit after the week. Kept us very warm. I couldn't imagine wearing anything other than merino wool now.

Worth it!
I use Minus 33, Kuiu, and First Lite. They are all pretty much same quality.

I have both First Lite and Kuiu and LOVE them both. Extremely light and very high quality. Worth every penny!

Minus 33 is another I like, save 50% buying standard earth tones instead of camo.

I like Minus 33 also, the grey is a nice neutral color. VERY comfy, I've worn it to lounge around the house in it's so soft.

Durable too, I'm on year two on the Minus 33 stuff, and I wear it every day from October to March.

I am a first lite fan as well. I have been impressed with all the same things as these other guys, but also the durability. The Kanab pants are great for early season as well, and they have the same no stink qualities.

If you are eligable, or know someone who is, First Lite is on Promotive. Any military, police, fire fighters, etc can go on there and get some really good deals.

Way worth it to me too. I have a number of pairs of First Lite underwear and they are the best.

Check out Sierra Trading Post for other affordable wool options from good Brands. Sign up for their email(they get a little annoying) and watch for the additional 35% off coupons. You'll get them often. There's usually good deals on Smartwool stuff, RedRam, and others.

I love my First Lite underlayers! I plan on buying specific hunting gear from them this year. Having eczema sucks wearing anything like regular wool or polyester. Merino wool isn't an irritant and definitely doesn't bother my skin. Awesome stuff and I can't wait to wear it again for archery elk!

Any of the good Merino is worth the extra dollars. It is pretty much all I hunt in any more. Obviously, I use a different brand of Merino. But, the point being, the worst Merino is better than the best poly.

Hell, I even wear Merino boxers. If it is comfortable enough for the most sensitive areas of the body, it should be comfortable most anywhere you cover with Merino.

If you wear poly, you are not allowed in my camp after the first day. You will stink like a four-day dead coyote on a southern Nevada highway. How they sell any of that poly crap to hunters is beyond me. I guess it speaks to the power of creative marketing.

If you want a "negative" comment - You lose a little durability with wool vs. synthetics but they are much more comfortable, and as everyone else said, don't get stinky near as quickly. If you backpack hunt, or wear they same clothes day after day, or just plain don't do your laundry - Merino wool is well worth it.

Alpaca wool is great too-just not as popular yet...

Any of the good Merino is worth the extra dollars. It is pretty much all I hunt in any more. Obviously, I use a different brand of Merino. But, the point being, the worst Merino is better than the best poly.

I can think of a few companies that would benefit from expanding their Merino lines, regardless of whether or not their camo patterns print well on them...;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back