First hand Covid symptoms

Got the moderna vaccine Tuesday. It was bout like the flu vaccine. Arm sore next day, no other issues. I've read anecdotal reports the second dose is a little more severe with fever, etc. but I'll still get it unless the recommendations change before then which is unlikely.

Main reason I got it was to protect the at-risk folks I'm around a lot. I'm tired of avoiding my parents. It's also pretty freeing to know I can walk around with 80-90% invulnerability.

So how is everyone feeling about getting the vaccine? We are in our early 40’s. I’m on the fence and my wife is dead set against it. I was lucky that I had a mild case and I’m right around the 90 day mark of immunity. I know it definitely hasn’t had the testing time it would normally have but to me it’s worth the risk. A woman we know just passed Friday night from it. She was 51 with no underlying conditions. This is crazy stuff.
Get the vaccine

Against my better judgement-

I will be getting the vaccine as soon as possible, but all initial research is pointing towards me not responding or getting immunity. In all likelihood I'm on lock down until either herd immunity hits or the antibodies start showing up in my antibody replacement therapy. Estimates on that is 24-36 months after initial outbreak.
I'm curious, SCID?

Get the vaccine
I'll be honest. I'm not going to be racing in to receive it. This approval happened extremely quickly, and I am not ready to have it in my body yet. Hell, I don't even usually take something as simple as aspirin. I'm still sifting through the available information. Long term effects later also concern me. It's not something I'm just going to jump into. Just where I am personally so far. mtmuley

MRNA is not new, been around for years, including in medicine. This is however the first time its been used in a vaccine for a virus. It wasn't developed for this and it most likely would have been the flu shot in another year or 2

My source is both my son who does virus stuff for a living and bosses husband who is in viral biologist for FDA
Not true, human clinical trials on influenza mRNA were under way prior to 2020, there was just not the urgency of a worldwide pandemic with no alternatives. It WAS developed for this AND cancer vaccines.

I'll be honest. I'm not going to be racing in to receive it. This approval happened extremely quickly, and I am not ready to have it in my body yet. Hell, I don't even usually take something as simple as aspirin. I'm still sifting through the available information. Long term effects later also concern me. It's not something I'm just going to jump into. Just where I am personally so far. mtmuley
Get the vaccine. I just had my second pfizer shot. I'm alive and well.

Sometimes I don't know why I bother. Read it again. I'm not ready. mtmuley
I read it. I am encouraging you as a medical professional to get it at your first available opportunity, whether you had a wedding to attend, a hot date with your wife, or heaven forbid, a COVID funeral.

I read it. I am encouraging you as a medical professional to get it at your first available opportunity, whether you had a wedding to attend, a hot date with your wife, or heaven forbid, a COVID funeral.
I was hoping my post would get across the point that I am trying to educate myself and make up my own mind. Besides, there are people that need it that should get it first. mtmuley

To be totally clear, vaccine hesitancy will kill people. To EVERYONE on this forum, please add that fact into your personal calculus.
I have a hard time getting my FACTS from someone named bluffgruff on a hunting internet forum. I think I will make up my own mind on the vaccine after I see a larger sample size.

So how is everyone feeling about getting the vaccine? We are in our early 40’s. I’m on the fence and my wife is dead set against it. I was lucky that I had a mild case and I’m right around the 90 day mark of immunity. I know it definitely hasn’t had the testing time it would normally have but to me it’s worth the risk. A woman we know just passed Friday night from it. She was 51 with no underlying conditions. This is crazy stuff.

The “90 day mark of immunity” is not even close to something you should take as gospel. Having antibodies currently in your system is not required to be “immune” to a disease. Some diseases cause our immune system to keep antibodies actively circulating for long periods of time, other only for short periods of time, but most of the time your immune system remembers how make those antibodies for most or all of your remaining life.

There have been millions upon millions of covid-19 cases and only few people have contracted it twice. There will be more, but it will not be common.

I have no beef with anyone who wants to take the vaccine. Have at it.

To be totally clear, vaccine hesitancy will kill people. To EVERYONE on this forum, please add that fact into your personal calculus.
There aren’t even enough doses for everyone to take it. There is plenty if time for hesitation. If person A decides to wait and see, Person B will get that dose. It will be quite a few months before hesitation will impact the number of those who are vaccinated.

Not true, human clinical trials on influenza mRNA were under way prior to 2020, there was just not the urgency of a worldwide pandemic with no alternatives. It WAS developed for this AND cancer vaccines.
Thats exactly what I said. Mrna was not developed for covid, its been on its way for awhile, hasn't been releases for the flu, yet

We are in agreement

I 100% agree with you, this is a real threat to everyone.

But it's also @mtmuley 's body.

If folks have concerns they should talk to their doctors.

I certainly did not make up my mind by reading threads on the internet, I spoke to experts and to my MD, I encourage others to do the same.

I 100% agree with you, this is a real threat to everyone.

But it's also @mtmuley 's body.

If folks have concerns they should talk to their doctors.

I certainly did not make up my mind by reading threads on the internet, I spoke to experts and to my MD, I encourage others to do the same.
Yep. Exactly where I'm at. And whether I do or don't, I damn sure won't be posting it here. mtmuley

Yep. Exactly where I'm at. And whether I do or don't, I damn sure won't be posting it here. mtmuley
Not that this matters at all but the most important person in the field of vaccinology, grew up in Mile City, Maurice Hilleman. I got to go to a lecture about Hilleman when my wife was studying at MSU.

I always get vaccinated for the flu, I know lots of people don't. Herd immunity is something that always factors high into my calculus. Flu or Covid19 I'm probably fine, but there are lots of immunocompromised people in our midst.

YMMV I look at vaccination as something I do for my community.

I had Covid in September and I am part of a study on antibodies. So I get tested every week.. So far I still am testing at levels not much different than when I started in the study back in October.. I will not be getting the vaccine any time soon. So...... I am not necessarily against getting it or really for getting it for myself at this point in time.. Time will tell..

BTW: the study is being done by the U-M medical center in Ann Arbor, MI. I was asked to be a part of it when I went to get my annual checkup from my oncologist there..

I had the flu pretty bad for a week 2 winters ago. I had the flu shot that year and many years prior. Hopethis vaccine works better for people.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back