PEAX Equipment

First hand Covid symptoms

In my limited exposure, I've not had a covid patient die on my watch, but Thursday night I had my second patient who would go on to die the next morning shortly after shift change. Both had elected to pursue comfort measures only prior to passing, so neither was a fight-to-save-them situation, but both would probably still be walking around if they hadn't caught covid.

Given that both were able to make their own decision to end aggressive care, I'm 100% at peace with both outcomes. Still, nurses don't watch their patients die without thinking about it for a few days.

We also had a teenage girl the other night (otherwise healthy, as far as I know) whom we shipped from our rural ER to the big hospital due to the sequelae of covid. Troponin was almost 4 (heart damage), BNP several hundred (heart failure), pediatric ICU, pressers (IV drips to maintain blood pressure), cardiogenic shock. She was recovering the last I heard. I have a daughter about the same age.

QQ, RN

We're dealing with an outbreak at our church and school (located at the church building) where my wife works and my kids attend. The whole school is shut down and quarantined at least this week and church services are on pause (They were significantly modified before, but online only for now). Prayers are appreciated.

My wife and mom (who also works are the school) are suffering symptoms and we're all getting tested tomorrow. General symptoms from the outbreak include chills, fevers, headaches, body aches, and fatigue. My wife is on day two of symptoms and is current in bed trying to get through the worst of it. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be affecting the lungs of anyone we know at this point.
Prayers to all.

Data suggesting reinfection usually occurs with different strains when it does occur and vaccination possibly protecting against multiple strains. Vaccine likely creating longer lasting immunity in some people than infection does.
I haven't seen any such data could you possibly point me towards that. Also I haven't seen any evidence that the vaccine causes any better or longer immunity. If the viral load was moderate to severe..

The studies that I have seen suggest that the larger issue is that many tested positive with low viral loads and that those would not have sufficient immunity because the response was lessened as a result..

Last edited:
So how is everyone feeling about getting the vaccine? We are in our early 40’s. I’m on the fence and my wife is dead set against it. I was lucky that I had a mild case and I’m right around the 90 day mark of immunity. I know it definitely hasn’t had the testing time it would normally have but to me it’s worth the risk. A

So how is everyone feeling about getting the vaccine? We are in our early 40’s. I’m on the fence and my wife is dead set against it. I was lucky that I had a mild case and I’m right around the 90 day mark of immunity. I know it definitely hasn’t had the testing time it would normally have but to me it’s worth the risk. A woman we know just passed Friday night from it. She was 51 with no underlying conditions. This is crazy stuff.
My wife and I will definitely be getting it as soon as it available to us. So will both of our adult who both work with the public.
My son had a friend in their early 30's who died of it.
It just seems foolish not to get it. You can never be sure you're not standing next to an asymptomatic person anytime you go out in public.
We want to have as much protection from those idiots who are anti-vax as possible so we can get back to the business of living our lives normally.
If they want to play russian roulette with their lives and the lives of their families, that's their choice.

Not to de-rail 14 pages of Covid conversation, but has anyone caught the flu in the last year?

Not to de-rail 14 pages of Covid conversation, but has anyone caught the flu in the last year?
Don't lie, you are genuinely intending to derail the conversation. Flu numbers last year are irrelevant when you have pushing 400K Covid deaths and over 23 million cases. Even if half of them are actually flu deaths and cases it's one of the worse flu years on record, matched by an equally bad Covid year.

Don't lie, you are genuinely intending to derail the conversation. Flu numbers last year are irrelevant when you have pushing 400K Covid deaths and over 23 million cases. Even if half of them are actually flu deaths and cases it's one of the worse flu years on record, matched by an equally bad Covid year.

Got my first dose yesterday (LE). Feel fine. It was the Pfizer vaccine. Not even any pain in my arm. Hiked 3 miles after I got home yesterday. Very reassuring to see all the doctors and nurses lining up for their second dose. I was told at the clinic that they recommend taking the day off from work after the second dose is given. Seems like the reactions to the vaccine are as varied as the symptoms of the illness in folks. Hope you are better today JLS !

FWIW...A few friends and family now have finished the vaccine course (not sure which version), and they’ve all experienced little to no effects from the first dose, then fairly significant aches, fatigue, and cold/flu-like symptoms for 1-2 days after the second dose. A couple of days laying low and they’ve been right back to normal.

Got a first dose yesterday. Did a cross-fit class afterwards and then had a late night at a highway incident. Didn’t feel any different.

Woke up this morning wanting a chicken fried steak, but other than a bit of arm soreness at the injection site no other side effects.

My wife had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine and not have any side effects with either.

Woke up one morning a couple months ago, with what felt like the oncoming of a cold. Stayed home from work, seemed like the prudent thing to do. Later that day got a mild fever, some chills, cold symptoms never got worse. That evening, lost all sense of smell and most of my sense of taste. At that point getting tested seemed like a waste of a test. A reasonable person could assume what I had. Stayed home for a couple weeks, as did the wife. Our boys are already being home schooled this year due to our concerns about the quality of education our kids got at the end of the Spring semester. Kept them out of hockey practice for a couple weeks. Wife stayed home for a couple weeks as well. Both of us have jobs with great leave benefits and the ability to work from home. By the middle of the second day essentially all my symptoms where gone other than a slight cough and my sense of smell still gone. That took about a month to come back. By third day, felt fine. Wife got it slightly worse than i did. But still closer to a cold than anything. Neither son mentioned anything other than one had a headache.

I will get the vaccine when my number is called. IMO there should be about 99% of the US population in front of me but that's not my decision. Pretty much positive the wife will not get the vaccine. She is not an anti-vaxer at all just feels that this vaccine as well as flu vaccines, for her are unnecessary medical procedures and she wont get unnecessary medical care. I agree with much of her thoughts on these things but not all. Given my job, I think its prudent for me to get the vaccine.

Sincere hope for a positive outcome for those that are suffering to a higher degree from this virus than I am. Not being able to see my mother and father in person is a small price to pay compared to the impacts others are dealing with.

A case report with basic science of reinfection

Article with some general information regarding reinfection with links to articles and papers

Not to derail things, and I will make this my last post on this thread, but I've intubated more than 2 dozen severe COVID patients, had over 60 die on my watch, some in a blaze of glory, others quietly and alone, and admitted over 500 to the hospital since March of last year.

Please get vaccinated when it is your turn.

A case report with basic science of reinfection

Article with some general information regarding reinfection with links to articles and papers

Not to derail things, and I will make this my last post on this thread, but I've intubated more than 2 dozen severe COVID patients, had over 60 die on my watch, some in a blaze of glory, others quietly and alone, and admitted over 500 to the hospital since March of last year.

Please get vaccinated when it is your turn.
Did you read the article? It says that there is serious concern that the vaccine may not give any better/longer protection than having the disease.. All together this isn't an article pushing those who have been sick to get the vaccine as much as it's a call to be aware that natural or vaccine induced long term immunity very well may not exist..

Which in itself is a frightening prospect..

We are one week into this with my wife. Last Wednesday she came home from work early because she was feeling sick. She is a nurse at a long term care facility and they do have a current outbreak. She had been tested twice that week as per regular protocol and both were negative (rapid test) so she just assumed it was either a cold/respiratory infection or something pregnancy related. She went to her primary care doc Thursday and was tested (PCR). Test came back negative so they started treating her for respiratory infection (antibiotic). Well, she was feeling well enough Monday to go back (no fever at any time, no coughing) and she tested positive with the rapid test. Was feeling pretty rough Monday night and yesterday. Started some coughing yesterday and has continued today. She doesn't feel as weak today but still doesn't feel great. Hopefully she's on the mend. Her doctor is seeing her every two days to monitor things closely since she's pregnant.

I haven't had any symptoms which I'm thankful for since I'm asthmatic. Hoping to stay that way. If I continue to not have symptoms, I'll probably get an antibody test at the appropriate time.

My wife, a hospital pharmacist, told me the other day that flu cases were down 98% compared to last year. That seemed to huge, so I looked it up (CDC). Yep. I'm sure somebody will look at all of the causal factors - but it seems like the masking, social distancing, hand-washing are effective, at least for the flu -- and that SARs-CoV-19 is really bad ass in transmission compared to the flu.

My wife, a hospital pharmacist, told me the other day that flu cases were down 98% compared to last year. That seemed to huge, so I looked it up (CDC). Yep. I'm sure somebody will look at all of the causal factors - but it seems like the masking, social distancing, hand-washing are effective, at least for the flu -- and that SARs-CoV-19 is really bad ass in transmission compared to the flu.
I think it kind of really shows how gross humans are, and how healthy we can stay when sick people don't cough and hack their way around the store, the gym, and the office.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back