First hand Covid symptoms

You can only get them within the first 9 days of infection and before hospitalization, ie there is a protocol for who gets them and who doesn’t.
Wouldn't it seem good then to offer it in the first 9 days of being diagnosed? I am in no way arguing or trying to take this into the weeds. Just seriously confused why we are not using this more.

You would think it would be more widely available or maybe at least hear about it more?
Everyone (mostly) is recommended to get the vaccine, so that’s millions of doses given in the US. Also the most effective means of prevention, hence news coverage.

Therapeutics in general are only given to the people who A. Get covid and B. Get really sick and or have specific circumstances which out them at risk for being sick.

I think national wide it’s that way fewer people are given them comparatively, because of the facts above.

Your MD isn’t getting their treatment courses from the news, they are reading the literature available. So there is a lot of nuance we (the public) miss.

Wouldn't it seem good then to offer it in the first 9 days of being diagnosed? I am in no way arguing or trying to take this into the weeds. Just seriously confused why we are not using this more.
I don’t know this risks first off, I’m not a MD.

But I think the general guidance is that if you feel super crappy right off the bat you are given them, esp if you are immune compromised and your MD thinks you are at high risk of it escalating.

There are likely side effects, I believe the treatment is pretty expensive, and we have a limited supply so hence why everyone with covid isn’t offered them. Most people, esp vaccinated folks will recover without them.

Also I’m not sure of the efficacy.

Getting vaccinated is the most effective treatment we have to offer.

I don’t know this risks first off, I’m not a MD.

But I think the general guidance is that if you feel super crappy right off the bat you are given them, esp if you are immune compromised and your MD thinks you are at high risk of it escalating.

There are likely side effects, I believe the treatment is pretty expensive, and we have a limited supply so hence why everyone with covid isn’t offered them. Most people, esp vaccinated folks will recover without them.

Also I’m not sure of the efficacy.

Getting vaccinated is the most effective treatment we have to offer.
Sure doesn't seem that way. But like you I'm not an MD either.

All states are different, hospital systems, etc. We all know there is a lot of crazy and bad info out there.

Also preface that because of HIPPA I can’t pester my wife about specifics.

That said she has absolutely had her phone ding, she has checked a test result, and then gone in the other room called a patient and had them go in for monoclonal antibodies.

My parents both got Covid pretty bad by the time they knew it it was too late for my mom to get the monoclonal antibodies and it would have required a 6 hour wait at the hospital so my dad didn’t get them either. My mom is still on oxygen going on 3 months. I always wonder what if she could have got monoclonal antibodies but very thankful she is alive.

I've had Covid for about 9 days now. Male, 40, fully vaccinated and generally in good health. Mild symptoms including sinus congestion, cough and a loss of energy. About day 6-7 I lost my sense of taste.

My two children 5 & 3 also have (had) Covid. The 5 year old is back at school today after having minor symptoms including cough and runny nose. The 3 year old spiked a fever for a couple days but now seems to be doing fine and will likely attend school on Friday.

To be honest I'm surprised we've avoided Covid for as long as we have. I'm looking forward to getting over it and being able to have Christmas with my parents.

Just got done with Covid, Male, 33, fit/active and mostly healthy. I've had brief bouts of pretty sever asthma in my life, its been controlled and I was not on medications for it except for carrying a rescue inhaler. Vax x2 but hadn't been boosted.

Started with a dry cough and tested negative initially. Symptoms got worse and tested positive a few days later: intense night sweats, shortness of breath, intense headaches, transient chest pain, colicky body aches, sore throat, swollen tonsils, dry cough, mildly tachy, loss of taste/smell. Sp02 in the low 90's but never below. I was never febrile. Asthma started to rear its head and mild attacks ensued. After a few days of misery I went in and got the monoclonal antibody infusion and covid symptoms cleared up within 24 hours. I'm back on steroids, singulair and breathing treatments and have odd muscle cramps pretty constantly but back to work and feeling much better. I'd call my case mild complicated by asthma and it was not fun. Glad to get it out of the way I guess.

Wife, who is a Neonatal NP, just showed me a newly published journal article on the first peer reviewed study of brain development/cognitive function of newborns born during the pandemic. At 6 months old, babies were scoring lower in all measured areas.

Have a link?

I'm on day 16 now, been testing positive for 11 days now. Still fighting a viral sinus infection, mild headache, and loss of taste and smell. Oxygen levels stable, occasionally cough up clear mucus. I had to get amoxicillin and prednisone for ear and sinus infections. I was pretty sure we had it back in Feb 2020, now I am not so sure. Testing showed it was the Delta Variant. 38, fat, but mostly healthy. No vaccine.

You would think it would be more widely available or maybe at least hear about it more?
Monoclonal antibody treatments are about $2000 per infusion and many hospitals don't have the supply to give them out willy nilly.
You also have to add the human factor. Statistically, the unvaccinated are the ones filling hospitals, and many of them are ideologically opposed to the vaccines. Until they're sick enough to be hospitalized, they're unlikely to take another drug under EUA that was also tested on fetal stem cell lines. Once they're sick enough to abandon idealogical consistency, it's past the effective timeline for monoclonal antibodies.

Wife, who is a Neonatal NP, just showed me a newly published journal article on the first peer reviewed study of brain development/cognitive function of newborns born during the pandemic. At 6 months old, babies were scoring lower in all measured areas.
Wife is a labor nurse and has been awaiting studies on these sorts of things. Anecdotally she's seen more neonates struggle to thrive, decells, demises, etc. Who knows if its the virus or just the societal stress on the body but its noticeable.

Monoclonal antibody treatments are about $2000 per infusion and many hospitals don't have the supply to give them out willy nilly.

You also have to add the human factor. Statistically, the unvaccinated are the ones filling hospitals, and many of them are ideologically opposed to the vaccines. Until they're sick enough to be hospitalized, they're unlikely to take another drug under EUA that was also tested on fetal stem cell lines. Once they're sick enough to abandon idealogical consistency, it's past the effective timeline for monoclonal antibodies.
I can't speak for everybody only what I personally see. Both the individuals I know took the antibody on around day 5 I believe it was, without hesitation.🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Have a link?
Have a link?
This may be about it, which if it is, I should correct what I said because this article says they didn’t score lower in communications.

What she was showing me was, I believe behind the academic paywall she has access to, due to being a doctorate student, but from the sounds of this article, I think it’s discussing the same study.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back