Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

First go-round with a new pup

Coop

I've been absent from the forum for so long that I nearly forgot how to post, but I figured this little one was worth showing off. The wife and I brought home our new chocolate, Tikka a couple of weeks ago and she has been an absolute joy so far. She is a wild child and fun as can be. I grew up with labs, but this will be my first time having all of the responsibility of raising a new pup. The hope is that she starts getting the whole bird hunting thing down by the time I am done with grad school and we move back home to MT here in a couple years. If anyone has some training pearls, I would love to hear them!

Attachments

• Tikka 2.png
    Tikka 2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • Tikka 1.jpg
    Tikka 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
Great looking pup! I got my first gun dog puppy, also a lab, earlier this year.

I found a series of videos on YouTube from Standing Stone Kennels that we've been using, and it's seeming to go pretty well so far. Might check it out.

Love this guy, smart, easy to to watch and excellent production quality.

His YouTube channel.....

Appreciate those recs. I will be spending some time checking them out!

That is one cute dog-shaped object.

I'll be right there with you, driving to Montana tomorrow to pick up our first bird dog puppy. Been watching a bunch of those Standing Stone videos this week in preparation, they have some really good content.

Nothing like puppy love eh. Obviously potty training. Getting up,every 4 hours or so. Probably done there. Kennel training.
Use a soft play toy n play fetch in a hallway. To keep her contained, controllable.
I've found antlers to be good chew toys. I use moose antlers for our Chesapeake. And training her to find antlers.
We also have a dog weight pulling harness for Ruby. Actually we had it for 30 years and used it on our other 2 chessys. Our kids trained them to pull them in a sled on the hike command. They are built for a single dog with padding.
We feed science diet. Only. No table scraps. No getting into the garbage problems. But mostly a balanced died.
And we feel the extra cost of a premium food is cheaper than vet bills. We also use a pad in her insulated dog house. I believe that it helps their hips. We use a heated water dish in the winter so she always has fresh clean water.
Along the way after 2 other chessys with hip issues at old age. We found using ester-c vitamins helps the hips considerably. Our first chessy got to the point of yelping when moving. After my beautiful wife brought some outdated ones on the net he lived another couple years playing with our kids. Works for us. And I now put a capsule in each feeding. She was just at the vet with a limp. The twice daily dose has her working again.
I have found a training collar valuable. We have never had to use the shock option. Ruby has a soft demeanor. Our last chessy was a real block head tough as nails n enjoy proving it kinda dog. Finding this level of communicating is important. Know your dog attitudes. Soft hand usually works well. Never more than one swat if needed. And measured carefully. Never a head shot. I just always learned that when approaching a dog to use the back of my hand instead of an open hand. Feel it shows the dog that I'm not a harm. I do this with all dogs. I don't want my dogs head shy n sway back when someone pets them. But I also feel strange dogs respond better also. Demonstrate a soft command.
The training collar is exceptionally useful as a back up training tool. Generally just a beep to let her know I'm watching. Listening. And being a chessy she will continually test the water per say. It's what this breed does. It's just a natural drive.
And I can tell by the sound of her bark whats going on. Usually barking at the neighbors dog or moose in our yard. Strangers is a high fast pitch.
And of course you have the most important thing for her. Attention n love. Learning how to control those feelings on both sides is the daily lesson. Ruby's love in life is playing fetch. And now puts her toy down in front of us everywhere. We can't walk through the door without her figuring a way to drop her toy inside the door so it won't close without us moving it. AnFB_IMG_1634915786557.jpgFB_IMG_1634915574090.jpgFB_IMG_1634915793265.jpgFB_IMG_1634915877269.jpgd throws Kong chews over a 5' fence to get someone to throw it.
Had to put up a 5' tall fence around an acre of land to replace the 4' tall one. We were visiting with the neighbors, they informed us that she would jump the fence n go over to play with them whenever we left. And just back in just before we got home. We had no clue. Before she was a year old.
Hey nice dog n lots of great memories wrapped up in that little package of puppy love

Nothing like puppy love eh. Obviously potty training. Getting up,every 4 hours or so. Probably done there. Kennel training.
Use a soft play toy n play fetch in a hallway. To keep her contained, controllable.
I've found antlers to be good chew toys. I use moose antlers for our Chesapeake. And training her to find antlers.
We also have a dog weight pulling harness for Ruby. Actually we had it for 30 years and used it on our other 2 chessys. Our kids trained them to pull them in a sled on the hike command. They are built for a single dog with padding.
We feed science diet. Only. No table scraps. No getting into the garbage problems. But mostly a balanced died.
And we feel the extra cost of a premium food is cheaper than vet bills. We also use a pad in her insulated dog house. I believe that it helps their hips. We use a heated water dish in the winter so she always has fresh clean water.
Along the way after 2 other chessys with hip issues at old age. We found using ester-c vitamins helps the hips considerably. Our first chessy got to the point of yelping when moving. After my beautiful wife brought some outdated ones on the net he lived another couple years playing with our kids. Works for us. And I now put a capsule in each feeding. She was just at the vet with a limp. The twice daily dose has her working again.
I have found a training collar valuable. We have never had to use the shock option. Ruby has a soft demeanor. Our last chessy was a real block head tough as nails n enjoy proving it kinda dog. Finding this level of communicating is important. Know your dog attitudes. Soft hand usually works well. Never more than one swat if needed. And measured carefully. Never a head shot. I just always learned that when approaching a dog to use the back of my hand instead of an open hand. Feel it shows the dog that I'm not a harm. I do this with all dogs. I don't want my dogs head shy n sway back when someone pets them. But I also feel strange dogs respond better also. Demonstrate a soft command.
The training collar is exceptionally useful as a back up training tool. Generally just a beep to let her know I'm watching. Listening. And being a chessy she will continually test the water per say. It's what this breed does. It's just a natural drive.
And I can tell by the sound of her bark whats going on. Usually barking at the neighbors dog or moose in our yard. Strangers is a high fast pitch.
And of course you have the most important thing for her. Attention n love. Learning how to control those feelings on both sides is the daily lesson. Ruby's love in life is playing fetch. And now puts her toy down in front of us everywhere. We can't walk through the door without her figuring a way to drop her toy inside the door so it won't close without us moving it. AnView attachment 199894View attachment 199895View attachment 199896View attachment 199897d throws Kong chews over a 5' fence to get someone to throw it.
Had to put up a 5' tall fence around an acre of land to replace the 4' tall one. We were visiting with the neighbors, they informed us that she would jump the fence n go over to play with them whenever we left. And just back in just before we got home. We had no clue. Before she was a year old.
Hey nice dog n lots of great memories wrapped up in that little package of puppy love
Safe to say that the best part about raising a new pup is seeing their personality develop before your eyes! Great info, I appreciate it. So far she has been a great little pup.

I just wanted to post a one-year update to this thread. Tikka has turned into a great pup, and we were able to make a quick trip to SD for pheasants last weekend where she experienced bird hunting for the first time. The goal of this trip was to simply get her used to being in the field, and she began to catch on by the end of the weekend. Tikka was able to flush a few birds and she even sniffed out one downed bird in the thick stuff. Public land made for some tough hunting, but the trip was well worth it!

Attachments

• Tikka First Pheasant.jpg
    Tikka First Pheasant.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Tikka Pheasant.jpg
    Tikka Pheasant.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Tikka Pheasant 2.jpg
    Tikka Pheasant 2.jpg
    965.5 KB · Views: 18
Congrats!! That's an awesome feeling. Hope y'all have a great season.

Hoping to have similar updates on my end soon. :)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back