First Encounter with a Bull

rednechuntr

This past weekend I headed to the mountains in Montana to a place I knew very few people hunted in hopes of solitude. It's thick timber with visibility rarely past 60-80yds. As I expected I had the place to myself. This being my second year of chasing elk and the first year trying to use calls, I didn't have high hopes of anything panning out. However, within half a mile of the trailhead I saw a cow about 90 yards away in a clearing coming down the hill so I tried to intercept her but she somehow slipped up the creek bottom and I never saw her again. Go figure. Then roughly eight miles later of hiking/still hunting with the wind in my face I bumped some cows so I called to them, hoping one would stop or give me a shot. After I "mewed" (not sure if that's the correct term?) at them a bull bugled below. It was a rather "mellow" bugle which seemed to be more of a collecting his cows type of bugle, I bugled back and he instantly became agitated and started beating the crap out of a tree. He wasn't too worried about me though and went with his cows and started moving away. The wind was good so I followed him by his bugles above him about 100 yds and trailing him but parallel to his path. We shouted back and forth a couple times then I saw a cow returning to where I bumped them. I went quiet in hopes I could get a shot at her because I'm only out for the meat and I am not picky with it being my first chance to kill an elk. Then I saw him coming in from my left about 60 yds out. It's crazy that he pinpointed the exact location where I was even though I hadn't made any noise for a couple of minutes. I drew as he stepped behind some trees and he kept coming and was going to present a broadside shot at about 20 yds but turned straight towards me and saw me. We seemed to have a stare-down for 1-2 minutes at 20 yds, but it seemed like an eternity. I was shaking like a bobblehead on the dash of a truck on a gravel washboard road. He bugled then turned, I mewed and he presented a quartering away shot that was nearly facing directly away. I knew I could stick it through his liver and possibly into the pumphouse, but I didn't think there would be much of a blood trail. I let him walk. He never winded me and wasn't in a hurry to leave so I just went quiet and stayed still until I couldn't see him anymore. My knees were weak for the next ten minutes and I had a hard time walking.
That experience tops anything I have ever seen or heard in the woods! I'm hooked for life and as long as my joints will allow me, I'll be in the mountains chasing bulls. He was beautiful and if he was symmetrical he was a 7x7 as I only counted one side at full draw. I was trying not to look at his antlers, haha. For a public land bull in that area, he's a dandy. I'm already planning my approach for my next day off. With the cold front coming into Montana this coming week the rut should kick in and hopefully he'll still be in there and vocal.
I learned many valuable lessons that day. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm pleased with my own self control to not take a shot that might not be a clean kill despite it probably being the biggest bull I'll ever encounter in this area. Ethical hunters seem to be hard to come by and I don't ever want to compromise my own stance on what I view as an ethical decision in the woods. A bull of that magnitude didn't deserve a sloppy shot, but rather a clean, quick death and I hope he gives me another chance. If not, I'm thankful for the memory of him bugling in my face during our stare-down. I'm hooked folks. Good luck to all you out there!

That's the type of encounter that keeps me hooked. Sounds like you had a great time

I've not had a bull that close bugling, but there's something about them doing that which can get into one's blood. Thanks for sharing and good luck this season!

Well done on making the choice of not shooting, even though as you say he may be the biggest bull on that mountain. Too often the size or rarity of the quarry loosens a hunters grasp on "ethical" shots. (I intentionally placed the quotation around ethical, as I know that each of us has our own definition of that word in relation to shoot/no shoot situations).

Setting your limits before heading into the hills, and keeping yourself within those limits shows good self control. Thanks for your story, and I hope that this is only chapter one.

Oh man if that doesn't get you going I don't know what will! Sounds like a hell of an encounter and I hope you get a shot at that boy!

Good for you on not taking a questionable shot, that is hard to do. Sounds like a great encounter, good luck this weekend!

Good job to all those who let em walk if the shot isn't right. I had an encounter with a bull 5 nights ago at 75 yards and quartering-to me. He was the bull of my dreams- largest 6x6 Ive encountered while hunting. No shot taken and he disappeared into the timber.
Dang.

Great encounter. Good job on not taking the questionable shot. I have passed up many elk on questionable shots and have not regretted it.

Good job to all those who let em walk if the shot isn't right. I had an encounter with a bull 5 nights ago at 75 yards and quartering-to me. He was the bull of my dreams- largest 6x6 Ive encountered while hunting. No shot taken and he disappeared into the timber.
Dang.

Maybe we will both get another chance! I lost sleep as a kid when I arrowed a whitetail doe too far back in the gut and never found her. I couldn't imagine the turmoil of losing a bull or making a bad shot. Good luck to you out there and hopefully you get a chance to see the bruiser again!

You did good! That description is exactly what keep us all going back for more. I think, one way or another, we have all had that kind of experience. Don't ever doubt your decision to let him walk. That kind of experience is, in some way, better than what may have happened.

Good luck and go get him. :)

Good job on making the right decision. It drives me nuts when I hear people say things like, "my max range is 50 yards, but if he was a monster bull I would probably let one fly at 60". The size of the bull shouldn't affect someone's decision making when it comes to taking ethical shots. I hope you meet up with him again.

Great choice to pass on the shot.

Even perfect shots at 20 sometimes result in lost animals.

I practice at 60 as my max, but I will never take a shot with that 60 pin. I can only tell you as you gain experience in the field you will continue to be happy with yourself when you choose to err on the side of caution.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement guys! I never thought I'd get that kind of a response from so many people but it seems I'm not first to have the "let him walk" dilemma. It's almost reassuring that I made a decent choice. Work has managed to whittle my days off down to only Sunday and Monday. I can't wait...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScatterGunHamilton
Back