MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First elk...

tteel

How many tags did you eat before you killed your first elk? I think I am up to 6 in Colorado with archery equipment. I have had one good clean shot which I failed to make connect in 6 years of hunting. I am planning on changing my strategy the next few years and do more late season cow hunts while building points in several states. I am currently getting points in Colorado and Wyoming.

A lot but after looking back I put way to much emphasis on chasing deer before my elk chasing began.

I ate 2 tags in Colorado but mistakes on my behalf and not paying enough attention to details caused that. I was into elk and had them in bow range, I just screwed up. I have never hunted elk with anything except archery equipment

Last edited:
Wife and I must be one of the lucky people’s lol, started elk hunting in 2010 and I think I’ve gone 7/9 I think my wife has been less fortunate in that amount of time 3/9, Daughter is 1/2. We have also spent lots of time hunting Antelope and Deer mostly between 00’-09’. We still primarily focus on those 2. Elk is just a bonus.
Matt

Starting out hunting elk with archery equipment has to be steep learning curve. I killed a bull my second year of archery hunting, and killed a bull the first year I rifle hunted. I did have a couple mentors that had killed a few dozen elk helping me out though.

I’m currently 1 for 1, but I had a rifle, and it wasn’t CO OTC.

Starting out hunting elk with archery equipment has to be steep learning curve. I killed a bull my second year of archery hunting, and killed a bull the first year I rifle hunted. I did have a couple mentors that had killed a few dozen elk helping me out though.

Same here. My dad and grandpa were there to help me, which I'm sure I took for granted. The first couple were also cows.

I ate a couple in high school and college, but didn't know shit about what I was doing and didn't really have anyone to teach me. I ate a couple in Montana when we first moved there until I figured out what I was doing. I still eat one here and there, but it's rarely because of a lack of opportunity. Seems when I bow hunt there is a lot higher likelihood I'll eat the tag :ROFLMAO:

3 for me only ever hunted archery I did pass up shots on smaller bulls the 1st 3 yrs cause his big brother was lipping off close by and I KNEW he was coming by too, but he lied to me

Id use a rifle and shoot a cow if it lends the opportunity for starters.

My last 4 elk have all been cows.

Quite a few, until I was invited on a WA muzzleloader hunt and drew a cow tag. Ended up taking 3 in 3 years. 2 cows and a spike. Now the area is all infested with too many hunters and locked gates. Been searching for a new area for quite a few years, but haven't settled on anything as of yet.

Gary

I’m 0 fer 3 so far in MT. This is year 4. No luck during archery, but at least I finally saw some. Confidence is high going into rifle season. My mentor has pretty much just been my buddy who has a few more years under his belt and a couple tags notched, but hasn’t solved the puzzle yet. We’re working on figuring it out together lol. Wish us luck. T minus 2 weeks!

I don't hunt with a bow, but I consider an archery bull to be quite a challenge. The amount of time spent scouting is far more time consuming than rifle. That being said, the first few times you elk hunt are really all about learning from your mistakes and understanding the sport. Maybe consider hiring a guide or someone who really knows your unit. Or switch units if you're hunting the same unit and not having any success.

1, but it was a 56 type 1 Wyo elk tag in 1997. First time I ever applied for elk and drew. Had no idea what i was doing or how good that tag really was. Ate the tag. That is also the last LQ elk tag i have ever drawn in Wyo.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back