First Elk

Ttannahill14

Got back from my MT Elk/Mule deer trip about a week ago just getting caught up to post.

Day 1 I left at 6AM from Kansas for the long drive to SW Montana. My initial plan was to stop in Sheridan and truck camp... but the windchill was close to zero and I wasn't feeling to tired and I could make it by midnight if I just pushed through. Mistake. Hit some ice, skidded off the road, and flipped the truck.

Day 2 was spent dealing with insurance (I own an insurance agency. Liability only on the truck... oops) and getting my gear from the tow company. That took about half the day and the Sheridan Rental company couldn't get me a big enough vehicle until the next day.

Day 3 I made it to my destination. I met up with my friend and we hit the trail. I grabbed his rifle as I didn't have time to check my scope and I wasn't confident in it from the wreck. We come down into a little creek bottom and turn a corner and there are 3 elk about 250 yards away. 2 are nice 5X5's and one is a very nice 6X6. I throw up my buddies rifle and it has one of those 1000X zoom scopes on it and it was cranked way up. By the time I realized the scope was cranked up, and i corrected it, the elk were gone. I wasn't super bummed because I almost would have hated for it to all end in under 2 hours of hunting.

Day 4-6 were super hot. I think around 50 if memory serves correct. Didn't see a single elk. Lots of small mulies. Sighted in my gun... it was on. Would have had a dead 6X6 if I had my gun night one.

Day 7 we got some colder temps and a little bit of snow over night. I was feeling good about that morning and time was semi running out. The wife said be home by Thanksgiving but I knew 7-8 days was about all I had before I started pushing my luck. About an hour into the morning we spotted some elk... we were able to sneak up to about 200 yards and was able to put a good shot on a fat cow. Ran about 50 yards and expired quickly. We got her back to the truck and threw her in the barn to cool.

Day 8 spent the day butchering into large chunks and watching football. Coolers were packed and I was ready to head back to Kansas the next morning.

Day 9 Left at 8AM Montana time and got back about 3AM Kansas time. Long drive. But my mini van rental did great. I had originally planned to do a SE MT deer hunt... but decided to keep that tag in my pocket. Something told me my minivan wouldn't do well on the roads of SE MT and maybe I should just get home to the Mrs. and come back again next year. Plus I was missing my dog.

Day 10 Took the meat to the farm and processed. Lots of happy people with elk to share.

Things I Learned:
-Try to travel with a friend/buddy. Driving far is much easier with rotating drivers.
-Overpacked... again.
-Montana people were super nice and the scenery was even better. Saw probably the best sunset of my life.
-Minivans make decent hunting rigs.

46033541_10217562128626768_1090179484180545536_n.jpg

46470036_10217606482655591_147704754238128128_n.jpg

46409267_10217606482495587_834315324441493504_n.jpg

46508633_10217606482335583_6447171856087646208_n.jpg

Now that's one hell of an adventure. Good looking elk as well!

Even after the scary beginning, you managed to pull off a great trip—certainly one you won’t forget. Nicely done man.

Congrats on the elk for sure, but my favorite part of the story is that you were "dealing" with insurance because you only had liability and you OWN AN INSURANCE AGENCY. HA! Sorry, but that's damn ironic. Also, how did that not show up in your lessons learned?!? :D

And yes, been there with the scope issue. Glad you got an elk, because that one will haunt you...

Great story and great memories...well most of them were great. Glad you were ok after trying to drive your truck on its roof.

What a story. Glad you're ok and things turned out well in the end.

In a nod to the Visa commercial..........getting one's first elk.....priceless. Congratulations

Back