Fin's Application Strategy

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I am posting this chart here in reply to the many, many, emails I get about how we draw tags each year. Time doesn't allow me to answer all the individual emails, so I am hoping that by posting it here, it is available to all.

Free advice is usually bad advice, and is never worth more than you paid for it, so consider yourself forewarned. :eek:

Some are units that are hard to draw for Non-residents, and some are "fall back" hunts that can be had over the counter, or with almost no points. Since 2005, the fewest out of state tags I have had is four. They are not always the best tags, but I know I am going hunting, and that is what is most important to me.

Picture1.jpg

There are other states you can apply in, such as OR, WA, CA, and some good over the counter hunts to be had in some of the midwest whitetail states. Just not something I do, based on drawing odds, schedules, budgets, etc.

This does not include the bear and turkey hunts that can be had as OTC hunts in many states, or bison draws of some western states. Alaska black bear, deer, moose, and caribou can be bought OTC and makes for the best "backup" plan you could ask for.

As far as specific units, I never give those to people, for a few reasons.

1. It is the part of the tag application process that is the most fun to research.

2. Units are waaaay over rated. 80% of a good hunt is the combination of a good hunter giving a great effort, and/or some luck. The chosen unit is a part of the other 20%.

Example would be the WY antelope seasons of the last two years. The state record was broken in 2008 and 2009, both in units that never make it to the top of the list with the reseach services. Those guys are probably very happy they didn't wait for many years, just to draw a unit published by the research services.

A person is much better off to hunt many times in less popular units than to bank all his chips on a hunt in a "glory unit." Reason being, you get to hunt a lot more, and I suspect more great hunts are had each year in the lesser units, than happen in the units research services recommend.

I would rather hunt mule deer in CO ten times on units that require no points, than to wait ten years to hunt it just once. Too many things can go wrong in that one year that you have invested ten years of hopes in. And a lot of things can go right over the course of the ten seasons you get to hunt in one of Colorado's lesser known units.

3. Almost all states have units that are easier to draw and hold some great animals, it just takes more effort. And it is hard to beat having a little luck. It is not a prerequisite to draw one of these famous units, in order to have a great hunt.
Anyhow, this is the worksheet I work from each year. I suspect anyone who applies to a few states and is willing to accept some units where you can draw with few points, or OTC hunts, will have more tags than his schedule allows.

This post is probably not worth the time it took to type it up, but at least it saves me time in answering emails. ;)

This post is probably not worth the time it took to type it up, but at least it saves me time in answering emails.

I think you should just forward the emails to dinkshooter. And I think you should use CO for your examples, and it wouldn't hurt to recommend CO for all the hunters.

After all, the wolves have decimated the antelope, deer, and elk population in WY.

After all, the wolves have decimated the antelope, deer, and elk population in WY.

I was thinking about excluding MT, ID, and WY from the list, based on the wolf topics, but figured people might see through my self-serving omissions. But, I think I could have convinced some to leave those "wolf wasteland" states alone. :D

Not only the wolves in Montana, but also all the Bighorn sheep have pneumonia. No use applying for them this year. :) Besides, I'm going to get that tag myself. :) Don't waste your money.

Not only the wolves in Montana, but also all the Bighorn sheep have pneumonia. No use applying for them this year. :) Besides, I'm going to get that tag myself. :) Don't waste your money.

Very good Gerald! I forgot about the diseases that have plagued the sheep in MT & WY the last couple years! It's a damn shame! I heard the CO bighorns are doing great though....

This might be a little off topic but I heard the mexican wolves have moved north and pretty much ate all the deer in NW NM. So I doubt that will even be worth applying for this year too. I'll leave you with a quote

"I went 10 miles back in the canyon and all I found were woof tracks everywhere"

Its over. WY, MT, ID, and now NM (just the good areas in NM)...........

If your're going to apply in the above states its going to be a OYOAWW......

G L.

Kudos for taking the time to post that up Randy. I imagine there are naysayers that doubt your honesty when it comes to the premise of the show and the ability to actually do in a year's time the number of hunts you squeeze in.

That shows the value of research when it comes to hunt planning can make or break a hunting season.

Good luck in all those draws.

Good post Randy I like the way you think I myself would want to hunt as many years as possible too.I put in for a low draw unit in wyoming and also %100 draw units my plan is to take a couple days and scout a low draw unit so when I finally do draw it I have a little bit of a clue on what goes on in that area so Im not going in there blind when I get a chance to hunt it.

Really interesting information! Thanks for sharing.

I have not been too active in applying for other state (never), though I am considering it. This is a good primer on what/how/why. Thanks for getting me thinking about this again!

Shortside

Unfortunately, every big game animal in Arizona has died or left the state. Maybe they headed up to Colorado, too. ;)

Don't even bother calling the Game & Fish Dept. Just put a stop payment on your check so you can be guaranteed a full and speedy refund. If you accidentally draw a tag, see if there's some way you can legally sign it over to me so I can dispose of it properly.

Should I really have to resort to chicanery to get drawn in my home state?:hump:

Unfortunately, every big game animal in Arizona has died or left the state. Maybe they headed up to Colorado, too. ;)

Don't even bother calling the Game & Fish Dept. Just put a stop payment on your check so you can be guaranteed a full and speedy refund. If you accidentally draw a tag, see if there's some way you can legally sign it over to me so I can dispose of it properly.

Should I really have to resort to chicanery to get drawn in my home state?:hump:

DDD, A man has to do what a man has to do. All is fair in love and war.......and drawing tags. That's not chicanery, that's just good strategy.

It used to be you could just sneak to your buddys mailboxes and take out their applications. But with the internet and online app's its damn near impossible to sabotage a friends applications.

If only I could hack into the databases....

I may take a postal job next year for the 4 weeks leading up to Arizona's elk deadline. With no reprise of the online app process in sight, I figure I might be able to increase my odds considerably by getting the right assignment.

My wife doesn't think I'm smart enough to pass the civil service test, though.

What I find amazing about this thread is Oak or Miller has not tried to turn it into another "schmalts goofed his application" thread

What I find amazing about this thread is Oak or Miller has not tried to turn it into another "schmalts goofed his application" thread

I checked your WY pronghorn application last night and did not join the party app. Did you mean to put in for the doe/fawn tag?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malaskabound20032000@yaho
Back