Caribou Gear

Finally fixed up the little Lund

OleRedbeard

I have a 1987 Lund Pro Pike that is about perfect for one person or two out on the many little lakes around the house. Its a tiller control and is good and wide so it fishes very comfortably. Its been a great boat and has really served its purpose through the years so I figured it was about time she had a makeover. I just got done with the exterior all except for putting my bunk boards back on. Ordered new wheels tires hubs and assemblies and got them all installed plan on starting the interior probably this week sometime with new carpet and a few extra storage compartments since all it has now is one under the back seat and the livewell.
almost finished boat.jpgboat 4.jpg

Attachments

• boat interior.jpg
    boat interior.jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 35
Very nice! I'm about a day away from completing my revamp as well. I'll have to get a few tips from you regarding restoring the aluminum sheen.

What speed does the 25 evinrude push?

Very nice! I'm about a day away from completing my revamp as well. I'll have to get a few tips from you regarding restoring the aluminum sheen.

What speed does the 25 evinrude push?
It'll put it up on plane with just me. However, it's very slap happy with the front when you do it. Calms down if I add my second trolling battery up front with the other.
2 people in it and you get around 25 to 30 (just guessing bc I don't trust what my fish finder says).. which is more than enough for me.

Looks great !
Perfect boat for two fishermen, and small enough you can wrestle it around a little and use some questionable ramps the guys with big boats can't.

I'm a Lund guy, have owned several, currently running a 1775 Impact with 115 hp Yamaha and all the other goodies.
Those Impacts are really nice boats. I used to think that Lund was mostly hype but have long since changed my mind. Especially after seeing a few of their competitors hulls and layouts.

How did you restore the aluminum sheen? Or has it been stored to a level that the aluminum is as it's been?
It depends on the level of oxidation. If its pretty heavy I will use a acid spray you can get at Walmart called Starbright aluminum cleaner and restorer. Then hit it with Mothers Aluminum Polish on a polishing wheel with the drill. When that is done it is usually bright enough for me but I have used the Mothers Polish and gotten it to pretty much be almost mirrorlike. It just depends on what level you want.
I will try to find a before and after of my buddies old Tracker boat using that Starbright Aluminum Cleaner on my phone and attach it.

I will use a acid spray you can get at Walmart called Starbright aluminum cleaner...
Does that remove any decals? Or does that shine the decals is well?
I have an '85 Bass Tracker Tournament TX that has decal or paint lines running the length on both sides. The acid spray safe for that?

I'll have to take a look at that. I tried a basic metal cleaning agent however It would take a heck of a lot of elbow grease to get it close to a respectable shine.

Does that remove any decals? Or does that shine the decals is well?
I have an '85 Bass Tracker Tournament TX that has decal or paint lines running the length on both sides. The acid spray safe for that?

I'll have to take a look at that. I tried a basic metal cleaning agent however, It would take a heck of a lot of elbow grease to get it close to a respectable shine.
I dont know if it will remove any decals to be honest but I dont think it will be very good on them. That stuff is powerful.
It takes about every bit of stain off though. I know on my buddies pro 17 we brought it out to the house and sprayed it with the acid cleaner below decals. It went from orange looking grime and dirty water lines to pretty much new. These pics are right after the boat was sprayed off with it.

Attachments

• bb.jpeg
    bb.jpeg
    843 KB · Views: 32
  • bb1.jpeg
    bb1.jpeg
    929.8 KB · Views: 31
Those are both the same boat? Wow! super paint job. Did you do that yourself? Great job!
Yesser, Same boat. Thank you!
That paint job was pretty straight forward since the original paint was still pretty well attached to the boat so all I did was sand it down with 320 grit, feathered out any chips and such and cleaned it really well before I sprayed. My father in law was a body man and painted cars for 65 years so he showed me how to do it correctly.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back