Finally, 2013 tag filled

Brandenbowhunter

It has been one of the most frustrating and fun years in a long time. Archery season was full of close calls and blown opportunities on good bulls and small ones too. Lots of elk close, more chances than I think I have ever had in one season. Seemed like every time I was out I have an encounter. I messed up on most of them, that will happen.
The first part of rifle was trying to relocate elk, taking some older hunters out and a few younger newbies. It is all fun, I finally got out by myself this weekend. Almost walked into the elk in the dark, heard them talking and going thru a fence. Put up the bino's and they were about 300 yards up the hill ahead of me. The last bull went out of sight a5 mins before shooting light. I picked up my gear and ran over the hill, almost puking along the way, that copper taste in my mouth. Once I got over the top, they were already pushing 500 yards on the next hill, so I let them go out of sight. Started running again, this time they were at 400 and only this was the only legal bull left. One shot and he dropped in his tracks, man I love the 300 rum. Was a fun season, and I had great help on the packout.

Way to run for it. I'm not sure I could make that shot after the sprint you describe!

Congrat's on the bull, and thanks for taking the old guys and newbies out. That's an investment in the hunting heritage. And here's to your selfless buddies who showed up for the pack out. I love guys like that.

Well, I won't get to have much of him, one of the buddies that helped pack him out had a friend going in for heart surgery this week. So they ended up with most of the elk. I did keep a backstrap and tenderloin. Still have tags to fill the freezer.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back