Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Field Judging Pronghorn Mass

RomDawg

A buddy and I are hoping to draw our first NR WY pronghorn tags this year (thanks to those who responded to PM's about a couple of units we were considering). I hunted pronghorn for the first time this past season in Oregon and had a lot of fun (pic below). I didn't really do any research on field judging and though I had a ton of fun and am happy with my trophy (low 70's) I would really like to shoot an 80+" buck in Wyoming. I've been practicing field judging on Pronghorn Guide Service's website (love the score feedback) and have rewatched most (if not all) of Randy Newberg's pronghorn hunts. Of the three main scoring components, total length, mass, and prong length, I feel the least confident in estimating mass (from pics and videos of single bucks) which I know will be a very important factor to achieve my goal of an 80+" buck.

So my question is, what are some things you look for in determining good mass? Are there some typical measurements you use based on ears or eyes (or other) to estimate base width and thickness? Though this thread is specific to estimating mass, feel free to include some other field judging tips.

Thanks!

IMG_8435.JPG

Last edited:
Use the Eye from the side to judge the mass against from the side. If it is wider than the eye socket, he's a heavy buck.

Prongs above the Ears means more Mass for a Second measurement

08c8a2a4e55cbeaa555171f059fa818f.jpg

Stolen from Outdoors international:
There are four different measurements starting at the base. In order to figure out where the measurements are to be taken, the length of the longest horn needs to be divided by four. With the first measurement being at the base, the second measurement takes place a quarter of the way up. If the prong interferes with the second measurement, then it is taken right below the swelling of the prong. And if the third measurement falls anywhere in the swelling of the prong, the measurement is taken right above the prong. Even though most people look at length first when field judging pronghorn, mass is the most important. Mass usually accounts for about 49 percent of the total score of an antelope. Length is about 38 percent of the score, and prongs about 13 percent.

Above is why you want a High (on the horn) Prong.

Last edited:
I always use the prong compared to the ear and eyes, if taller you may get extra mass in measurement. If wider than eye socket its prob good, if looks as large or wider when compared to ears probably real good. But most accurate mass is usually measured by holy s!@t factor, you see animal and say holy sh!@.... hes got good mass. length is sometimes trickiest cause of hooks and curls, when in doubt shot it and measure it!

When I am looking for Great Grand Daddy in one of my posts and as 2rocky posted, I use the eye width from the side and length of horns above the ears for tall. Length of horns above the ears is the first one I go for. Don't always have time to judge the eyes when he's busy defending territory giving you maybe a 20 to 30 second time frame to decide on shooting him or not. On my type 1 license this is exactly what I go for is either uniqueness or length of horns above the ears. I am a meat hunter so I would take one with horns showing at least 4 inches above the ears for the bucks on a type 1 license. You trophy hunters would of course want more than that.

Another point as Big Slick shows in his images, you may not always be able to see the eyes clear enough to judge the mass width wise below the ears especially from long range using binos or a scope unless you got really good ones (another reason not to go too cheap on optics). I go primarily by length of horns above the ears and compare that to the ears which range between 5 and 6 inches generally. In my experience, if the prongs looked big in the scope and the height of the horns above the ears is good, the mass generally is good too. Now some horns with antelope curl and might give you a 10-14 inch look and just might really be a 70-80 inches overall so you want to keep the amount of curl in mind too. What I consider a trophy is when the horn length appears to be two or more times the length of the ears.

Last edited:
He was shot by a hunter with a muzzleloader two days before rifle season, I had him figured out, but that’s hunting. He scored 83 6/8

Thanks for the response WyoDoug. I feel good about my optics but I'm very glad my buddy recently bought a Swaro spotting scope. The plan is to take inventory the first day or so and then take the time to look at digiscope photos and videos in the evening to estimate scores and then hopefully have a couple options to make a game plan, just like Big Fin.

(another reason not to go too cheap on optics)

I'm no expert and I've learned a lot listening to the folks above in this and other threads.

I am a pretty visual person, and i find i get more comfortable the more i study pictures of big bucks. This is a page i like to look at.

Most pronghorn are no where near 80" or 16" tall. Is easier to judge what is likely a 16"er than an 80"er. I have seen some ugly 80"ers that are all mass and "chunky" while some 15"ers with heart-shape curve and ivory tips plus a nice cutter/prong are the cat's meow for me. I have 12"ers through 16"ers on the wall as Euros. All were memorable hunts. All were a reasonable buck for the unit. Have harvested one or more bucks in OR, WY, MT, UT, NV, NM and TX. Have a bunch of points in CO and AZ so a matter of time if have the motivation. Hopefully you always have 3 or more bucks in a group then a heavy, long set of horns is more apparent. Hopefully, the heat waves are not too bothersome as try to estimate prong length and curve of the horn tips since the distances can be several hundred yards and can get heat waves even on cold days if the sun is out. To me, the pronghorn buck and late season mountain goat are the most visually stunning mounts of North American game animals. Pronghorn hunts are also a great introduction to western hunting and are relatively easy to draw in WY. If I could only go on more hunt self-guided then would be spring gobbler hunting and if could add a second would be pronghorn.

Feel free to judge the buck in my photo, I need lots of practice learning to field judge them.

69268.jpg

I didn't really do any research on field judging and though I had a ton of fun and am happy with my trophy (low 70's) I would really like to shoot an 80+" buck in Wyoming.
I'm no antelope expert but I'm almost positive your buck doesn't score over 70 (maybe low 60s?) and setting a goal of 80 is rediculus unless your willing to eat a tag or you drew a south west Wyoming tag. 80 inches is a b and c book buck, pretty crazy expectations to expect to shoot a book buck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back