Field Judging Pronghorn Mass

Estimating mass is not easy. Some pronghorns will only get one measurement below the prong. Most will get two, rarely you’ll get three, and if score is all you’re looking for, that can be a HUGE boost. Generally, if he is WIDER than his eyes, and will get two mass measurements, place a check mark in the mass box, and look at the rest of his attributes. If you absolutely must go home with a B&C buck, then you may want to get better at estimating mass than that.
Every pronghorn gets at least two mass measurements below the prong.

Every pronghorn gets at least two mass measurements below the prong.
The attached instructions are on the B&C form. I don’t know if there are different instructions for measurers. The way it reads, if D2 lands above the prong, then it gets measured above the prong. If it lands in the prong, then it gets measured below the prong. For D3, if it lands below the prong, it gets measured below the prong, but if it lands in the prong, then it gets measured above the prong. Now in my mind, I was placing D2 at more like 1/3 than 1/4. Upon further reflection, I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen a prong so low that D2 would land entirely above the prong, and thus, even on low prongs, it would get measured below.

So….”every pronghorn gets at least two measurements below the prong” is almost certainly correct in practice. But technically, if the instructions on the form are correct, it’s at least theoretically possible for a pronghorn to get only one mass measurement below the prong, even if that has never actually happened.

I’M NOT A PRONGHORN EXPERT

Attachments

• A35FFE39-1736-4FAE-A773-C1BE61D28E96.png
    A35FFE39-1736-4FAE-A773-C1BE61D28E96.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Not what I'm reading...if d2 lands on the prong you move it to just below the prong. Just like jm77 said every buck gets at least 2 mass measurements below the prong.

Some of the lowest prongs I have seen, but the D2 measurement easily lands on the prong.View attachment 188436
I agree. I was going more by the way I read the rules than by considering the reality of the situation. There has likely never been a pronghorn where D2 would land above the prong.

Still, although it may never happen, if those prongs were the same but horns were longer it could fall above. I don’t know where those prongs land, but it looks like if that was a 17” horn D2 MIGHT just barely sneak above it.

I agree. I was going more by the way I read the rules than by considering the reality of the situation. There has likely never been a pronghorn where D2 would land above the prong.

Still, although it may never happen, if those prongs were the same but horns were longer it could fall above. I don’t know where those prongs land, but it looks like if that was a 17” horn D2 MIGHT just barely sneak above it.
I read it the same way. I suppose there could technically be one out there with freakish long horns and low prongs, but I have never heard of one. The longest horn in that photo is 11 5/8".

At least you're headed in the right direction.
Well I look less stupid if you quote the whole post. The first statement is based on the rules. The second was an admission based on typical pronghorn proportions. Someday, somewhere, someone will shoot a pronghorn with ultra low prongs and long horns and they will probably incorrectly give him two mass measurements below the prongs, everyone will agree because they always hear “pronghorns always get two mass measurements below the prongs” and neither one of us will ever know about it.

How the antelope is measured is the least of a guy's silly worries on bringing home an 80" antelope. The hardest part (in Wyoming) will be letting the dozen walk away that are in the almost good enough (probably 74-77" range) that bend your mind on evaluating..

Best advice from me is to spend as much time as possible before the season inventorying all of them, and just decide what one you like the most, then hunting for that one at daylight on the opener.

By the way - whatever happened to romdawg? He vanished in June 2020, did he get the 80" buck?

How the antelope is measured is the least of a guy's silly worries on bringing home an 80" antelope. The hardest part (in Wyoming) will be letting the dozen walk away that are in the almost good enough (probably 74-77" range) that bend your mind on evaluating..

Best advice from me is to spend as much time as possible before the season inventorying all of them, and just decide what one you like the most, then hunting for that one at daylight on the opener.

By the way - whatever happened to romdawg? He vanished in June 2020, did he get the 80" buck?

Uhgg. I thought it said June 2021.

This one would fit that criteria.2FCBF640-07B6-40D1-A1A8-8EFA26D8B7D8.jpeg

Back