Caribou Gear Tarp

Fence Post Rubs

sra61

We were hunting with a buddy in extreme NE Montana a couple of weeks ago and saw these. I've seen these on some of the Whitetail shows before, but never in person until this season. It was an old fence between a couple of wheat strips where there has never been any livestock. There was a whole fence row with most of the posts rubbed to varying degrees. It was pretty cool to see, of course we never saw the bucks that had done the damage. Maybe next year.

Whitetail bucks love those old cedar posts. 17 yrs. ago we bought a place on the Milk River. There were a few old cedar posts rubbed to various degrees. This fall the last one was rubbed through and broken like the one in your first photo. I will miss watching the progress made on the posts by the bucks.

I saw a few of those in North Dakota a couple weeks back. Way cool.

Whitetail bucks love those old cedar posts. 17 yrs. ago we bought a place on the Milk River. There were a few old cedar posts rubbed to various degrees. This fall the last one was rubbed through and broken like the one in your first photo. I will miss watching the progress made on the posts by the bucks.
A post hole digger and $10 will get you another post to watch them rub! :D Some of the foodplot guys in the east are putting them and "scrape trees" in their plots for pics.

One of the landowners that we know up there really likes to plant trees and shrubs to improve the habitat, and he was showing us some of the stuff he had planted, and the deer had really trashed a lot of them. I told him to surround those little trees with wire and maybe stick a few of those posts in the ground to give them something else to take their frustrations out on. He loved that idea. The far side of that field was Canada!

I put 4 posts in this spring, one on each corner of the 8ac food plot. I've not been out to check them out yet but from what i can see from the deck, none of them got worked at all this year.

Around here, They will just rub a fence post. They've not a care in the world that their is barbed wire nailed to it.

When pheasant hunting in South Dakota I have seen posts planted in front of ground blinds to be used as " buck lure".

I have never seen one cut in half, close, but not all the way. Here is one from this summer. About 75 yards into Canada. I was on the appropriate side. hahah

13415584_10204752552173079_715456777672220897_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back