Feds may use wolves in colorado

I would be very surprised if Salazar lets them put wolves in his backyard. But Salazar will likely be long gone before any introduction would occur.

Would not surprise me in the least. Salazar is an idiot, and there are plenty of environmentalists moving here that will be glad to vote on the introduction. Rather then make big $$$, issue more tags and bring more revenue to CO......introduce the wolf, kill the elk, and the amount of tags! terrific news Hawkeye.

If they want to get the numbers down I am sure there are a number of hunters willing to help them out and pay for the tags at the same time. Why is everything so damn difficult when it comes to government trying to solve problems.

Really???

Would not surprise me in the least. Salazar is an idiot, and there are plenty of environmentalists moving here that will be glad to vote on the introduction. Rather then make big $$$, issue more tags and bring more revenue to CO......introduce the wolf, kill the elk, and the amount of tags! terrific news Hawkeye.

Curious as to see why you think Salazar is an idiot?

Why don't they open it up to more hunts? Is the old land grant open to non resident cow hunts? I was told a couple years ago, it was off limits to non res? Anyone know if that's changed?

Here ya go Ben Lamb - #1 most recent Deepwater Oil Spill ring a bell. Salazar voted against increasing fuel-efficiency standards (CAFE) for cars and trucks = kinda anti-environment. He voted against an amendment to repeal tax breaks for ExxonMobil and other major petroleum companies. And regarding our friend the wolf, why would one agree to move them off the endangered lists, except WYO?

I don't know the man, might like him? I will retract calling him and idiot. My bad.He is someone with whom I do not agree :)

So what do you do with the wolves once the elk numbers become acceptable? I guess they could just whistle and they'ed come running back and jump in their cages to get hauled back to Montana.

Why is hunting so ineffective? Something is broke, but they don't need a new problem to fix the old one.

Hmmm...one would think that enough comments were provided that the NEPA document will have to analyze the impact of wolves. Analyzing an alternative is, IMO, leaps and bounds from an preferred alternative or a decision to implement.

Now, how many that think this is a bad idea are going to take the time to read the NEPA document and actually comment on the content of it?

Here ya go Ben Lamb - #1 most recent Deepwater Oil Spill ring a bell. Salazar voted against increasing fuel-efficiency standards (CAFE) for cars and trucks = kinda anti-environment. He voted against an amendment to repeal tax breaks for ExxonMobil and other major petroleum companies. And regarding our friend the wolf, why would one agree to move them off the endangered lists, except WYO?

Agreed on Deep Water. He should have been a lot more aggressive at rooting out he corruption in DOI/MMS when he first came on board.

As for wolves, he issued a delisting notice based on the states that had an approved plan. Should he have kept wolves on the ESA, even though they had clearly reached recovery criteria in all states, because WY hadn't done their homework?

Salazar hasn't voted on anything in 4 years. Are the CAFE and O&G tax votes from pre-2008?

Here is the information page about the planning process. The three public meetings have already passed, which is probably what prompted all of the news articles recently. Note the comment deadline is February 24th: Planning Process

Here is a brief overview of the alternatives. This is what you need to comment on. The word "wolf" appears one time in the document: Alternatives

Thanks for the link to the alternatives! If folks give them an even cursory look it's pretty easy to see what's going on. If you want your comments to count, make sure it's more than "I don't want no stinking wuffs". Give what you think are the positive impacts of the Alternative you espouse.

Can anyone say straw man???

I don't think the wolves is a good idea I agree with another post once the wolves get the heard down to a # they are looking for then what do they do with the wolves open a season on them?

In MN there are some area parks and cities that are experiencing an over population of deer. They either go through an organization that conducts a controlled hunt, do it themselves or hire a sniper to control the herd. From what the hunt coordinator told me snipers are very expensive. With the controlled hunts, the state gets their revenue in license fees, the park gets a small bit of revenue as well in a small $15.00 hunt fee. Hunters do have to pass a proficiency test and have taken an Advanced Bowhunter Education course as well as attend a mandatory meeting. The hunts are often broken up into two time periods. The first is an unlimited antlerless hunt - no antlered deer. The second is antlerless or your state allowed antlered deer. They use the state regulations for hunting, the park or city just give you permission to hunt. You are assigned a hunt area that you must stick to and most require hunting out of a tree stand. They work well. I would think some variation of this would work out exceptionally well in controlling the elk herds. You can add hunters to thin the herds or limit them to maintain the herds. It brings revenue in instead of costing something and is easily controlled. For our hunts all unwanted meat is donated to the local food shelves.

Oak
Thanks for posting the link. Should have known that the local news would hype up the issue concerning the wolf with all the drama in the northern rockies. Still an irritant that they would even consider it given the fiasco it has already caused.

If the elk population is too high, make it a type C tag good from Sept 1st - Jan31st just like the plains tags until the population is where it needs to be IMO

I could see the valley civic leaders pushing for a wolf introduction to draw tourist dollars to the valley though....

Here in Montana, they (FEDS) knew the wolves were coming. So to ease the pain, they put them on the non essential, experimental list, and added 66 wolves to the state. That way problem wolves were dealt with quickly and easily. They (FEDS) might believe that the wolves are headed to Colorado, with or without help. So they want control from the get go.

So how do you want to deal with them?

Back