Fawn Collaring

Moosie

Grand poopa
Saturday some guys from DHI did the Annual trip with F&G to do fawn and doe collaring. If no one has had this experience you should. It’s pretty neat to get up before daylight, set up nets, hide, and wait for the Choppers to push deer towards you. I’m sure those in Texas call this Hunting, but we do it to place collars on fawns. (Just kidding guys !!)

Here is a string of trucks heading up. We split into two groups so the Helicopter could push one side, then while we were working push to the other side, and keep the momentum going.

1_205461.jpg

The setup was a Long net, or series of nets placed in a “V” type shape with a backup net to catch any that make it through.

2_501988.jpg

Then the waiting begun !!!

3_523298.jpg

Seems that deer like to be in the same area year after year and there was a deer that already had a collar from last year. Here is the Chopper pushing one with a collar from last year.

4_444120.jpg

Here is a deer that came from the Right that got caught.

5_26077.jpg

One jumping over the net Behind the Sage in the middle of the picture, after the first one knocked down the net :

6_236205.jpg

No worries though, It was caught on the other side :

7_919453.jpg

Watch what you’re doing with that Rubber Glove Amigo !!!!!

8_945520.jpg

I ended up “Mounting” 3 doe deer. It sounds like it’s easy but to hold down a full body doe is pretty tough. They don’t realize you’re not trying to hurt them …Well, Besides the ear tags and the butt probing and the ultrasounds to check the Body fat and if they have babies or not. But the experience was fun.

9_569860.jpg

Under the net in the Sage :

10_418664.jpg

The Helicopter ended up breaking down and they didn’t get the numbers collared like they wanted, but that’s how it goes sometimes.

The bad thing about doing this, for me, is I’m highly allergic to Sage and deer. When you’re on top of the deer trying to hold them down and your face is buried in there neck to keep from getting a blody lip because they thrash their heads it tends to make an Allergic boys eyes swell. By the time I got home I could hardly see. All in all it was a great time though !! Now I get to look forward to March when we’re planting Bitterbrush and Sage for winter habitat. My eyes are already looking forward to it…..

Truth be told I couldn't compete with the bucks so they were fine :)

I just got word this morning from Wylee who was up there with me that the chopper crashed up there and didn't jsut break down. The pilot was flying sideways along the mountain and as he went up to go over a finger clipped a sage brush and tipped the chopper on its side against the mountain.

OOPS !!!!

Cool pics Moosie. Ever seen them shoot them with a net gun out of a helicopter and then jump out on them? I'll try to get pictures sometime in the next month.

Cool, I hunted with a boy that was allergic to Deer Hair, he would swell up like he had been stung by a Yellow Jacket! Do you replace the previously collared Deer's collars? Who thought allergies were Good for us???? WTG, John

The noises those does can make while in the net are unreal. I couldn't believe it. Some sound darn right nasty.

…Well, Besides the ear tags and the butt probing and the ultrasounds to check the Body fat and if they have babies or not. But the experience was fun.

did you try it?

Ever seen them shoot them with a net gun out of a helicopter and then jump out on them?

No, not in real life. I have killed tahr out of a helicopter :)

Do you replace the previously collared Deer's collars?

They actually only had like 6 doe collars and 15 fawn ones. The does got in the net first and of the 3 does that I held down I think only the first got a collar by then we were out and they jsut tested for other vitals.

The one with the collar got caught and some guys let it go not knowing it wasn't from this year. They won't have replaced it but took info to see how it was doing. They weren't able too.

The noises those does can make while in the net are unreal.

YAH, they can for sure. some more then other s but the BAHhhhhhhhh sound carries far. They usually put the face cover on it quick and that calmsthem down a little but some jsut go to town and beat themselves and you to death !!

I'd get in on something like that if I ever had the opportunity.

MAke your Oppertunity. Call F&G and tell them you want in. Or come to Boise next JAn and I'll house ya and you can go with us :)

did you try it?

UHhh no, although I did Feel Vialated several time and was worried I was getting a Tag with the thrashing around.

That one with the rubber gloves is a funny damn pic.

HAHA. Another Moose Classic :)

Way cool. I heard about the chopper crash and figured it must have been at the collaring you mentioned. If I would have had some more advance I'd ahve got down there earliear this week and helped out.

Back