Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Favorites ? And Dislikes?

genesis273

After looking at some of the pics of cooked wild game that has been posted lately and knowing that you guys have killed about every critter that has crawled, flown, and swam this country and eventually cooked what you`ve taken home. I want to know what would you concider you favorite wild game animal that you have taken. Being from the east, big game is kinda limited to whitetail, turkey, bear, and boar. I have eaten antelope, elk, and moose but that is a rarily. I do however eat about 20 deer a year and have grown quit fold of different recipes. I would love to know about sheep and other big game animals, including African game...even elephant!

I enjoy eating the meat as much as looking at antlers.

Post your favorite big game, small game, waterfowl, and "other" (snake, frogs, turtles, etc)

And you least favorite!

Favorites:
BG-Elk
SG-Rabbit
WF-Canvasback
Other-Frog Legs

Dislikes:
Hooded Merganser :eek: Only thing that I can think of that I couldn`t spit enough to get the taste out!

My favorite-a spike elk. Yummy yummy.

Least favorite- I cant say that I have any. Any duck that I have tried isnt that good.

I have heard that mountain lion is good. Never have tried it.

BigGame: Antelope
SmallGame: Rabbit
Upland Game: Chukar
Waterfowl: Green wing teal
Fish: Crappie

Favorites:
BG-Elk
SG-Squirrel
WF-Wood Duck in Gumbo
Other-Bream

These are my picks. Really Duck is my least Favorite, Liver with wings! John

Favorite:
-big game: elk
-upland: blue grouse
-waterfowl: swan (in crockpot), or any kind of duck/goose jerky
-fish: ling

I have only shot one hooded merganser but it tasted fine. Just cut it in chunks, fried it, mixed it with rice and vegetables. Tasted just like any other duck to me.

BG - elk
SG - agree with MHMT, gotta go with blue grouse
Fish/Seafood - tough to beat some fried crappie, although a bucket of blue crabs caught while drinking a few beers isn't too shabby either

BG: Elk
SG: Rabbit
UP: Quail
FH: walleye/sea bass
I would have to say the worst bird i ever tried was a coot. Some people like em, but i will never eat one of those things again.

How about any African game? Although I know it`s not too feasible to bring the meat back.

I will have to go with crappie for my fish section too. That`s what`s for dinner tomorrow night! Can`t wait!

Last edited:
BG - moose
SG - turtle (is that considered sg)
UP - huns
F/S - walleye and shrimp

BG- Elk
SG- Squirrel
WF- Teal
UP- Pheasant
FWF- Crappie (Fresh Water Fish)
SWF- Hallibut (Salt Water Fish)

But I can't think of anything better than fresh crab caught and cooked fresh except maybe Abalone!

Last edited:
BG-Elk with deer a close second(Haven't shot an antelope yet)
Bird- Chukar,quail
SG-??Before moving to Idaho after graduating in '78, I lived in Salt Lake. For a graduation dinner, I was taken to a place called Hare Hollow. It was a U shaped place with a courtyard in the middle that had everything out there that wouldn't kill each other, fallow deer, rabbits, quail etc. The inside walls were solid glass to give a view of the courtyard. Pretty cool. Of course I ordered the specialty, rabbit. The problem was every time you took a bite, you looked right at a half dozen rabbits with their noses pressed up againt the glass! Haven't had rabbit since.

I think my favorite game meat is Duck. It's rich, flavorful, and moist. My least favorite game meat I think is Chukar, just no point in it, too bland. Big game I'm very fond of antelope, I just can't draw here in ID, and with whatshername going back to school, I don't think WY is happening this year. Here's to hoping I can explore with Bear this year, otherwise it's back to just deer and duck.

B.G. - Antelope
Sept. Cow elk
Sept. Whitetail doe that doesn't have a fawn
Moutain Lion

Least favorite B.G. Rutting bighorn ram. Nasty! Tastes like dirty wool socks
Mountain Goat. Better than bighorn but not my favorite on the table.

Favortite S.G. Pheasant and ruffed grouse
Cottontail rabbit

Favorite fish. Fresh, king salmon grilled with butter, garlic salt and brown sugar.
Deep fried catfish.

Favorite seafood. King crab
Shrimp
I don't think I've met any seafood I don't like.

Other-- Frog legs are pretty good. Crawfish are delicious and I enjoyed the escargot the only time I ate them.

Back