Favorite shell for turkey?

mtlion

Although I have killed a pile of birds shotgun and archery I still consider myself kind of a novice turkey hunter (only been at it for a few years). I have been shooting size 5 Hevi-shot in 3 inchers and have had good luck, I killed one out to 40 yards and never have lost a bird. I am about to re-up my supply of turkey shells and was wondering is there a better size shot to use? What is the favorite and why?

Number 4,5, or 6 is all good. You won't do better than what you have now. The advantage of smaller shot is a denser pattern. You have to get a head/neck shot for a clean kill and the smaller shot makes sure that will happen.

Lion,
Turkey loads are a bit like building a load for your favorite rifle......you need to try a few and put them on paper. Hevi shot is great, but maybe Winchester Supreme 6's actually pattern better? The deal is you just don't know till you try various loads. Once you establish what your gun/choke combination digests best, buy a bunch and stick with them. My combination patterns Win Supreme 1 3/4 oz 6's thru a Kicks .675 best.
WD

OK Wally I see the kicks .675 is what you like...I have the 3 that came with my gun (Mossberg). So interpret that to layman's terms...Full, modified, improved? I'm guessing full? That is what I have been using.

Last edited:
If it's not broke I wouldn't try to fix it...

That said, I've had good luck with Remington Premier Magnum Turkey Loads in #5 shot. Last years bird was at 20yds and this years at almost 60yds. Before that, I was using Winchesters duplex loads that are a mix of #4 and #6. Heck, I even shot one in ID that was DRT with regular high brass #6 2 3/4" Federals.

That said, if you are up for experimenting, I'd pick a brand or three of shells and pattern each of them with each of your chokes. I've read more than once that Full chokes may not always give the tightest pattern with a given shell in a given shotgun.

I always found this topic puzzling.
I lived in South Dakota for 5 years and killed a few birds each year with full choke and pheasant load #4.

It worked fine, even at 50 yards.

I always found this topic puzzling.
I lived in South Dakota for 5 years and killed a few birds each year with full choke and pheasant load #4.

It worked fine, even at 50 yards.

I'm sure, dead is dead.

I was just asking as I have only used the Hevi-shot 5's just because that was what was availlable. I have zero experience with anything else other than my first 2 birds which were with a borrowed gun/ammo. I think the guy who loaned me the gear just shot 3 inch federal 6's, nothing special and my first bird was dead at 50 yards. I may just stick with the Hevi-shot have not had a problem and every bird has been one and done, just wanted to get some expert opinion.

If it's not broke I wouldn't try to fix it...

That said, I've had good luck with Remington Premier Magnum Turkey Loads in #5 shot. Last years bird was at 20yds and this years at almost 60yds. Before that, I was using Winchesters duplex loads that are a mix of #4 and #6. Heck, I even shot one in ID that was DRT with regular high brass #6 2 3/4" Federals.

That said, if you are up for experimenting, I'd pick a brand or three of shells and pattern each of them with each of your chokes. I've read more than once that Full chokes may not always give the tightest pattern with a given shell in a given shotgun.

agreed. Whatever shoots best from your gun. I use # 5's, but, it depends on the range and the layout of the land. Sometimes its not the top of the line stuff that shoots the best out of your gun, like 1PT says, choose a few and shoot them. . .that will tell you. I also shoot the extra full choke, but, in close its not good. (missed a few that were right on top of me, had to take them with the 2nd round) pattern at 8yds is like the size of a nickle!! :)

Although I have killed a pile of birds shotgun and archery I still consider myself kind of a novice turkey hunter (only been at it for a few years). I have been shooting size 5 Hevi-shot in 3 inchers and have had good luck, I killed one out to 40 yards and never have lost a bird. I am about to re-up my supply of turkey shells and was wondering is there a better size shot to use? What is the favorite and why?
Hey Lion...I have been at this turkey hunting gig for 20 yrs now and DO NOT consider myself an "expert' by any means but I have messed with more than a couple of turkey guns for friends...(man I hate that word). what I can tell you that shoot as many differend loads that your budget allows and see what patterns the best.I can consistently aget 16 in the head and neck @40 yds. I went through a bunch of ammo before I setteled on one and I suggest you do the same unless you are completely happy with the preformance of your shotgun. I use Hevi Shot #6...3"mag. out of a Rem. 11-87sps. with a Rem hevi shot choke tube. I have killed 56 birds in my life and all but 2 dropped stone dead. I wont change a thing with my set up and if you are happy and confident with yours dont mess with it........:cool:

Hey Lion...I have been at this turkey hunting gig for 20 yrs now and DO NOT consider myself an "expert' by any means but I have messed with more than a couple of turkey guns for friends...(man I hate that word). What I can tell you that shoot as many differend loads that your budget allows and see what patterns the best.I can consistently get 16 in the head and neck @40 yds. I went through a bunch of ammo before I setteled on one and I suggest you do the same unless you are completely happy with the preformance of your shotgun. I use Hevi Shot #6...3"mag. out of a Rem. 11-87sps. with a Rem hevi shot choke tube. I have killed 56 birds in my life and all but 2 dropped stone dead. I wont change a thing with my set up and if you are happy and confident with yours dont mess with it........:cool:

Lion,
My shotgun set up = Moss 835 with aftermarket Kicks .675 constriction ported tube.
Like rifles it's a hoot to improve performance by tweaking things (spending $).
WD

Lion
Remember it only takes 1 pellet in the head, neck to kill a turkey SO the more shot you have the better.
Down south we use 7 1/2 because of the pellet count on eastern 22 pounders.

Lion
Remember it only takes 1 pellet in the head, neck to kill a turkey SO the more shot you have the better.
Down south we use 7 1/2 because of the pellet count on eastern 22 pounders.

Dang. Sounds like I should head south! :D

Lion Just saying but I've taken about fourty some birds and I focus more on getting them close and enjoying the show.Probably jinxing myself now but never missed one yet. I use Heavy shot 5;s and do pattern my gun ( 11-87 full choke) but as I said I like close up and personal. I feel if I need a 50 yd shot I haven't done a good job. Just me

I shoot a Benelli SBE that is about 12 years old. It's a great multipurpose gun that has never given me an issue. I shoot the Hevi Shot as well, #5's with a Jelly Head choke.

I agree with the thought that you need to try different shot patterns to see what your gun likes. They are certainly not all the same.

In my younger years I got fed up with shooting turkeys with number 6 shot. I'd blast em and they weren't dying. I'd try and get them closer, I'd try number 4 shot, I'd try everything I could think of. I was embarrassed that that stupid little turkey brain was kicking my trash. They were the best evaders of a good shot I'd encountered. After the score got to turkeys 15 Sweetnectar 0, I had had enough. I got some number 2 lead in a 3 inch shell, followed by a 4 buck, followed by 00 buck. I finally got my first turkey at 87 yards. Since then I gave up turkey hunting. I wish there were threads like this around back then to help figure out how to do it. Thanks for posting up that the smaller shot really works.

In Kansas the regulations specify size 2-9 shot for shotguns. Turkey&Turkey Hunting magazine states that it takes multiple 4-5 foot-pounds pellets in head/neck area to drop a turkey stone cold dead. In close quarters (heavy wooded areas) smaller shot will give more pellets on target, but they loose energy faster at distance than larger shot.

Some areas require non-toxic shot only, and in the fall I try to be loaded with non-toxics so that if waterfowl opportunities arise, I am legal and good to go. So in the spring, I am packing copper plated lead in #5,with one of several "turkey" chokes. In the fall if there is a chance to bushwhack a farm pond, or be near a flight path for geese, I'm shooting a modified-full with non-toxics and a looser choke tube in the pocket if ducks/geese present the opportunity.

Wow Sweetnector,that was one weird post.Isn't it a little early in calving season to twist off? I took bird number 48 last spring with my 11-87 using four shot through a remington full choke.Four's will break a wing better than puny 6's if you flub a shot, or under estimate the distance.I prefer a full factory choke....not TOO tight in close, and makes you call birds in to a sporting range.Its all about preference.I DO know one thing....a turkey can't run faster than 300-400ft. per second.:D

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back