Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Favorite Hunt/Species to Hunt

I have been very blessed in my young hunting life and have tagged some beautiful animals. I have still yet to lay my hands on an elk, but that would be my go to hunt if I had to choose 1 animal the rest of my life. I am fortunate enough to once again be chasing elk this year, but this time with a rifle in October. 37 days can't get here soon enough!

Bull Elk in the timber with a rifle at bow range.:) Chukar with my German Shorthair locked on point and my Beretta 20 ga. over and under at the ready is a close second.

Archery Elk Hunting. Stalked within 56 yards of a bedded 5x5 bull 2 nights ago. And a giant cow at 18 yards. What a rush!

Pronghorn take the cake with me, but I also can't imagine what skipping a season of deer hunting would be like.

Archery elk is without a doubt my favorite big game to hunt, with antelope coming in second.

Hunting chukars with my wirehair ranks right up there too.

I love hunting all species and with any legal weapon. I prefer big game with a bow. However, my favorite is waterfowl so long as I'm not hunting the same 'ol place and species. I love the long waterfowl seasons and variety of species. I started waterfowling when I was 12 and always dreamed of hunting all the North American species DIY and now in my 50's I'm seriously pursuing them across the continent.

Attachments

• 20140118_133831.jpg
    20140118_133831.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 299
  • 20160131_092342.jpg
    20160131_092342.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 296
  • Cinnamons.jpg
    Cinnamons.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 290
For me it is bull elk, nothing even compares and I have been fortunate enough to have pursued a wide variety, mulie bucks would be my second

Elk - Mule Deer - Antelope and you can change those orders up any way you like. Love to hunt them all. Big mule deer really get me going though.

Honestly, what ever is in season. Love to chase deer and elk. Yet to chase antelope but hopefully soon. If you made me choose, there is something about them ducks and geese though.

What I'm curious about is someone who has their "favorite species" that isn't tied to what they do with friends and family or simply had a lot of access to over other species. An example would be you grew up hunting eastern whitetails but realized you couldn't sit still and actively sought out something completely different like upland game or mountain goat hunting and ended up falling in love with it because it suited your personality or interest.

Me personally I can't really focus on any subset of a particular activity in most cases for very long and tend to dabble in different things over time and later come back around to certain types of hunts.

Lately it's archery elk but I grew up hunting whitetails in the coulee's of north-central MT so that's always a great time. Love hunting pheasants, sharptails and huns as well but haven't done a lot of that lately.

Would love to see what Big Fin's response to this question would be... Grouse with a bow? haha.

I've only been at this for a few years and I've got hunting ADD and don't really have a 'favorite' per say, but I am definitely more inclined to go west for spot and stalk than sit here in IL in a tree stand or ground blind. So far I think I've enjoyed hunting mulies in the Sandhills the most for 'big' game as it taught me a lot about hunting open country but a good turkey or duck hunt is also up there too. Coues deer are high up on the 'want to try' list too.

Sentimental- Whitetails in Indiana hardwoods during gun season, sitting in a tree stand with a fresh blanket of snow. It is home personified.

Experience- I love chasing elk from the camp I am lucky enough to be a part of. Great friends, a comfy camp with a wood stove and the high country. The critters and the views are unparalleled. I am thrilled every time I roll up that jeep trail.

Future- I yearn for a backcountry moose hunt with every fiber of my being. Bullwinkle has always had my imagination peaked.

Thanks for all the input guys. All of the animals that have been mentioned are on my "hunt list." Especially pronghorn because I've yet to meet someone who said they had a bad time hunting for them. Next year is going to be a lot of fun going out for elk, and I look forward to picking your brains and being apart of the community.

Crusoe, I agree with you whole heartedly. I could have the biggest buck come across my path, but I'd still rather have an average buck come across while I'm hunting with my little brother. Same goes for waterfowl with my friends.

Archery elk is my addiction. Im obsessed with it! Head to CO in 32 hours!!!

I am a shed hunter first. Have passed up some great animals just with the hope that I will find the sheds in the spring. Sometimes it worked out some times it did not. Have even went shed hunting during the season and left the rifle at home. In the past I would look for a big mule deer but lately finding a big mule deer is difficult. Now I spend more time hunting elk with a bow.

Whitetail guy myself, but I got a crazy deal where I want to hunt a pronghorn something fierce. Eventually I am going to mark that one off my bucket list.

In order of favorites
White sheep
Deer...all of them
elk
Caribou
Moose
Antelope
Leftovers, big and small

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads