Favorite Elk Calibers

danr55

Some years ago, I ran a survey on this forum asking everyone about what caliber they shot for Elk. Here are the results listing caliber and the number of persons who indicated that was their primary rifle for elk. It's interesting but I bet there are no more than one or two changes to this list today. Anyone else curious?

PRIMARY
300 win 32
30-06 31
338 win 30
7mm rem 29
270 20
300 wby 9
375 H&H 7
340 WBY 6
7mm STW 3
7X57 3

I don't know if I participated in the last survey, But my vote would be 300 Win mag all day...

Not unless you were around in 2001.. which is when I ran the survey.. but your vote would have put you in the majority..

I'm sure the 300 WSM will earn a spot in there. Back then, my elk medicine was a .338 WM and it's still hard to consider another. Now I also have a 7MM RM that is a sweet shooter and it will a tough decision next rifle tag I draw. In the meantime, I'm shooting my Hoyt Spyder every year.

The 1st couple of times I applied for an elk tag, I was all set on slaying my Booner with a 7 RM, didn't draw.

The next couple of times I applied for an elk tag, I was all set on slaying my Monster with a 338 WM, didn't draw.

The next couple of times I applied for an elk tag, I was all set on slaying a Big-un' with a 308 Win, didn't draw.

This last next couple of times I applied for an elk tag, I was all set on slaying a Good Bull, with a 7mm-08, didn't draw.

This time I apply for an elk tag, and if I get a tag, I'm all set to slay any elk that walks, with the 338 Fed I'm building, that is going to change my luck on drawing a damn tag !!

Last edited:
After the last couple years success with my 280ai, it will be my go to for a long time.....

My go to R700 -06..............I know,I'm an old odd ball...............

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" is also my motto. .270 Win. from a S & W model 1500 has worked just fine for me the last 30 years.

For years I only hunted elk with a 50 cal . muzzleloader in Colorado's muzzleloader season. Now it will be my Cross Bow or my 270wsm

Same 300 short wizzum Sako has taken all the Western critters that have availed themselves. It is also the chambering chosen for my only custom.

Took the first one with a 30-06, next two with 7mm Rem, hopefully this year one falls to the Bowtech, but I'm looking forward to using the 338 win next time I draw rifle tag.

Well for me, I started out with a 30-06 with very good results then went to a 7mm Remington magnum also getting very good results. The last elk, a very large 5 point bull, was killed at 400 yards with a 270 !
Did a survey amongst the old timers here in the valley plus several friends here in western Colorado and found in order of preference that the venerable 30-06 led the group followed afterwards by the 270 and then the 7mm Remington mag.
Probably the most often statement offered repeatedly was the importance of shot placement with whatever caliber is used !

Back