Favorite Elk Calibers

I’m all for 280AI but it’s becoming to mainstream so my vote is leaning towards the 284

Last edited:
I’m in the 30-06 crowd. There are a lot of other great options out there but for normal ranges I just don’t see the need for anything else

Nowadays it's a 7 Supa Mashburn...born to Brockel, now residing in Mother Texas. It pshaw's back up. Damn thing SSDD's the aimpoint.

Mackay Sagebrush and I are on the same track. I've taken elk with the 338 WM, 300 WSM, 30-06, 308, 7-08 and 270.

While I've been using the 308 for decades, I've been using it exclusively on elk for the last 10 years. The 308, 270 and 6.5 CM are my favorite cartridges, and all I own any more. All three are perfect for elk.

.308 has always worked well for me. I shoot twice into the chest and they fall soon after. - TR

.308 has always worked well for me. I shoot twice into the chest and they fall soon after. - TR

Huh? I guess it’s your “favorite” elk rifle. I love the .308, but planning to shoot twice in the chest is an interesting strategy.

I’d go .300 wm with a muzzle brake (that’s what I shoot). Just as available, much more powerful, and same kick.

I can lever my Savage .308 very quickly to score that second shot while a magnum shooter has not even recovered from the recoil of his first shot. Two .308 bullets dump more energy, too! - TR

Once again, 340 Weatherby with new bullet 255 gr Shock Hammer @3050 fps. Backup, if you want to call it that, 375 H&H 299 gr Shock Hammer @2670 fps. Both should work well. GJ

TC Triumph 50 cal muzzle loader for me. Of course I have only been on 2 elk hunts.
I have a 7 mag for when I finally pull a rifle tag.

I've always enjoyed sitting around the campfire during hunting season talking about rifles and cartridges and their merits. I think the reality is that most hunting cartridges suitable for deer will work just fine on elk with the right bullet within reasonable ranges. IMO there are a lot of good cartridge choices out there, but I like the 30-06 and the 7mm rem mag for elk. either one will cleanly take an elk out to 500 yds and I don't see myself ever shooting an elk out past that and likely won't even shoot that far. Elk are surprisingly tough and I think it pays to get as close as possible before taking the shot. With good bullets these two cartridges are hard to beat, and I don't need a muzzle brake to shoot them well. I'm not fond of muzzle brakes on hunting rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back