Favorite Elk Calibers

Missed you by 1 year Danr, but I would have stated 300 H&H, then graduating to my 358 Norma mag.

Ask 50 hunters and you may get 50 different answers. I agree, if what you're using now works, stick with it. I've shot lots of elk with a 30-06, 300 win mag, and now my favorite is my 338 RUM. Use good quality bullets, practice and know your shooting limitations. It'll work.

Guess I don't understand the need for such large calibers and super heavy bullets. Good bullets and proper shot placement. 6.5x55 shooting 120 GMX I'm safe to 500 yards, anything beyond that and you start to stretch ethical hunting

Started with a 300H&H with 180 grains, then went to a 338 WM with 250 partitions. They both work very well. Had the H&H chambered out to a WBY but haven't shot an Elk with it since then :(
Dan

I don't really understand why but I don't even think of killing elk with ANY rifle. I've killed at least 25 of them but never one with a gun. I kill deer and bears every year with a rifle and love it but when it's time to hunt elk the bow seems like the only way to go. One of these days I will kill a bull with my 30-30 or maybe my 308 if I am feeling adventurous. ;)

300 ultramag ..210 nosler lr.
We are a three RUM family now !!!!
I have shot the 300 rum since they came out...I did buy a remington 308 but its not finnished yet with the mods ....soon maybe ...its hard to make that change for me ...

MT.PERCHMAN

Not exactly an expert in this area, but I used my 9.3x62 with 250gr nosler accubonds last time I drew an elk tag. I plan on using it again in a few years when another tag comes around.

300 ultramag ..210 nosler lr.
We are a three RUM family now !!!!
I have shot the 300 rum since they came out...I did buy a remington 308 but its not finnished yet with the mods ....soon maybe ...its hard to make that change for me ...

MT.PERCHMAN

...yer using too much headstamp.:D

210 LRAB? How's it treating long paper? Speed?

Why did you change the 300 H&H? That is a neat caliber.

In a moment of the need for speed thing I guess. It's a pre 64 Model 70 that was a shooter not collector grade. I do have a Remington Model 700 in 300 H&H that shoots very well. It belonged to a good friend who passed away from Cancer. It will never be modified and on occasion I will take it out for a walk in the woods in his memory. Maybe even poke an Elk with it.
Dan

Not exactly an expert in this area, but I used my 9.3x62 with 250gr nosler accubonds last time I drew an elk tag. I plan on using it again in a few years when another tag comes around.

God bless you.

Chasing elk with a Ruger #1 in 9.3x74R this year. Love those 9.3's!

...yer using too much headstamp.:D

210 LRAB? How's it treating long paper? Speed?

Why yes they are 😆 right off the shelf in the factory loaded box . My sendero just loves them ! Im shooting 1" 1/4 groups at 400 yrds ..Its my zero right now .
banging steel out to 1400 yrds so far .
700 sendero ...talley one piece rings ..timney trigger at 1 3/4 pds. Leupold 6 x 20 x 50 x 30 mm lr.varmit . And a boyds laminet thumb hole.stock ..alluminum bedded .
my favorite one so far .

MT.PERCHMAN

I was a huge 300 win fan for a long time. Then experience taught me that elk die just as fast with a 270. All the while saving my shoulder and a 1/3 of the cost. I still have, and like, the 300, but my 270 is my go to Antelope/Deer/Elk rifle now.

I too like my .300 RUM for elk. Perchman, you carry that Sendero in the hills? I've killed critters with the 210 ALR. I like the regular 200 Accubond better. mtmuley

I'll be lucky to be hunting elk this year. Foot surgery in August to remove bone spurs. But if by some miracle I am able to go I will carry my Marlin in 35 Remington.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back