Favorite coffee while backpack hunting

bradr

Realizing that everyone has different tastes, what are some of your favorite coffee brands/brewing methods while in the back country. I'm a newbie, and have recently purchased a jetboil. I tried Starbucks instant packets, which in my opinion are horrible. Folgers instant packets were surprisingly not bad at all, I can tolerate them. I see that jetboil has a coffee press, which I may end up getting, but I'd prefer to just use instant packets in hot water. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

wllm1313

For solo backcountry hunting either Starbucks vias, but only vanilla latte the other flavors suck, or caffeine pills. If im with my wife I will bring a french press mug, grounds and creamer.

SnowyMountaineer

I like Alpine Start, Via a distant second. Sudden Coffee was supposed to be amazing, I thought it was about like Via.

Bambistew

Tasters choice or via mostly for convenience, the maxwell house single serve bags are pretty good too. I'm not too picky though. I don't drink a lot of coffee in the mountains though, for some reason. I drink a 2/3 pot of coffee at home/work every day.

Randy11

I'm not that picky when I'm hunting, but I use a combination of via, tasters choice and mount Hagen. I dont like folgers bags or instant for some reason.

One thing I started doing this fall is keeping a really well insulated mug with me. I make my coffee the night before when I make dinner, and it's still hot the next morning. Wake up, grab the mug and a kind breakfast bar and be on my way. It really streamlined the morning process compared to boiling water.

Mthuntr

I end up with Starbucks, Tasters Choice or whatever I grab that just requires pouring into hot water. I have done Dark Timber pouches and was disappointed with how weak the coffee was and how expensive it was. Plus there is a small pouch of grounds to dispose of. The Folgers bags seem to produce a similar cup of coffee.

I've also used a pour over system that clips onto metal coffee mugs with great results but only really use it when I'm not worried about time and coffee grounds disposal.

Brian in Montana

When backpacking just for its own sake, I take Folgers singles. I'm no coffee snob by any stretch. When backpack hunting I'm usually just in the coffee to keep the caffeine monkey off my back. I don't like to take the time in the morning to brew and drink coffee as I'm generally trying to race the sunrise up a mountainside and get ahead of the elk moving to their beds. "Grinds" gets the job done.

Attachments

Sytes

Not a fan of the pouches however the black coffee and mocha are pretty good ones.

I tried the dark timber coffee packs which I didnt mind the taste but I find the Vias to be quicker and easier for me.

CodyCass

The dark timber ascent packs make a pretty good cup of coffee. Takes some trial an error to get it right, but once you figure it out they are pretty easy. I imagine instant would be easier, but I've never tried it.

tjones

I thought I liked coffee, turns out I like creamer. Creamer doesn't pack well.