Father/Son 2015 hunt

huntbux

So 2 years ago, my father and I went on an over the counter back country archery elk hunt in Idaho. It was a great hunt, I missed a bull at 45yds and we saw elk every day and had a great time.

This year it is my turn to choose where and what our trip entails.

I am looking to find a good place to go on a hunt where we can get tags, either over the counter or with no points. I do have 4 points in wyoming for Antelope but have not really considered that yet. Looking to keep the price under 2k$ per person.

Looking at different options, mule deer, elk, antelope, caribou, white tail, black tail, coues, etc. Not really looking into bear at all or a predator hunt.

Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
I am not looking for your spots unless you are willing to share. More or less just ideas and maybe some past experiences and info on some good areas. Just a fun father son hunt, would like to see some animals and maybe get a chance at a buck/bull etc but that is not the main focus of the hunt.

Thank you in advance for any help given.

You could hunt for any of those animals except for caribou for under 2k person.What type of hunt do the 2 of you really want to do?

We are used to doing back country do it yourself hunts. I do not want to hunt private land. I kind of would like to do a whitetail hunt as I have never been whitetail hunting before. Again DIY public land preferred. Western US preferred as well.

Maybe a SD Black Hills whitetail hunt? Beautiful scenery and lots of public land. Not sure if you have any points there though but you could look up the draw odds on the SDGF site. Good Luck with whatever you choose I'm sure it will be a great time!

Nebraska has otc tags for deer and plenty to hunt for public.They give out walk in acres booklets to give directions to open farms.then you have state land too,and big bucks

Thank you for the ideas, as I said any info is appreciated. Got to look in to travel times and logistics as well. Coming from Nevada it is a decent drive to get to any of the good whitetail states.

Back