MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Fat Guys Kill Nice Deer Too !

Steiny

I bow killed a dandy Indiana whitetail Sunday evening.
22" Spread, 9" & 8" brow tines, old, gnarly dude.

If somebody smarter then me that understands this technical crap will shoot me their e-mail address, I'll give you a photo to post up.

Thanks guys. Quite a thrill for me. Have killed a bunch of nice deer, but never a real nice one with archery until now.
O.K. Here is the story.
Hit a wood lot for the first time this season Sunday eve. Found a little waterhole tracked up like sheep had been going to it, so set my climber up right on top of it.
At 6:50 this big dude and his two little compadres (six pointers) come in for a drink. He came in right underneath me. How he didn't pick me off 16' up that tree was dang lucky. Anyway he goes to water and is facing dead on, with his head down, which is a "no no" shot with archery. He wasn't 6 yards away!
While trying to maintain my composure, I decided, soon as he turns to walk back away from that waterhole and turns his eyes the other direction, I'm gonna draw and be ready to shoot. Took him about a minute to quit sucking water, he turned, I drew, he was walking away, and he gave me a nice quartering away angle, just like the Drury brothers and all those dudes say you are supposed to take, maybe 12 yards.
I shot and hit him just right, angled in behind the ribs on the left side, punched in towards the sternum. Looked like a one lunger shot, and my arow was buried about half way. I watch him haul azz for about 120 yards, then he disappears into the woods. Climbed down and checked where he entered the woods, found a couple spots of blood and my arrow minus about 3" and the broadhead. Figured I better let him go for awhile.
Buddy and I went back at 11:00 with lantern, etc. but too tough to track anything, so we gave up pretty quick and decided to bail out of work in the AM and try again.
In the daylight we picked up a sparse blood trail for 400 yards before it ran out, then we started doing grid searches of the adjacent standing corn, etc. Were about to give up (no blood), but we decided to check a small woodlot close by. Got in there and it was thick as the devil. Both he and I agreed, if he's anywhere he's in here. We spread out and started doing passes through the small wood lot (had to crawl in some aeas, it was so thick) and 3/4 thru the first pass my buddy found him deader than a door nail. Looked like he had expired last night. Luckily the coyotes had not gotten him.
He made it about 800 yards. He was indeed one lung fatally hit, but the arrow never punched through the other side, so not much blood trail.

He's broomed off on the main beam on the left side and aint built real well for scoring, but I'm pretty tickled none the less.

Anyway .... all is well that ends well.
Guess it's time to do some fall fishing, then whack a buch of does when firearms opens up.

Back