Indiana Deer Season

Birddog916

For all 2020's problems, deer season at my Indiana Farm was not one of them. Even though I mostly hunt in the west I always make the trip back to Indiana every year to archery hunt whitetails. This was my 32nd year hunting the family farm. 3 of us left California on 11/7 and came home heavy with 2 bucks. Friends and family already in Indiana met up with us in total we had 8 guys and we went 6 bucks for the 8 guys over the week we were back. Everyone had the opportunity to harvest an archery buck...let's just say some of us shoot straighter than others. The rut was on and we observed the typical bucks all googoliy-eyed chasing does... like a college bar at last call. This year was similar to the last three years and I killed one on the first day I sat. I tried really hard to wait for something bigger but after passing 2 other bucks inside of 20 yards I drew and shot on this buck.
IMG_4138.JPG

The buck was at 31 yards quartering away and my arrow went in perfectly and came out the opposite shoulder. I was impressed with my new bow set up a Mathews TX-5 armed with 27 inch Easton Carbon Injection arrows, a 55 grain titanium out-sert and a 100 grain 2 blade rage. My overall arrow weight is almost 500 grains. The complete pass-through was impressive and the 30 yard blood trail was impossible to miss... not that I needed to follow any blood as the deer fell within sight.

It was a great trip with a lot of action and farm chores on tap. I actually like the farm chores, it gives me a different perspective every year and lets me get away from life for a while. I hope cell phone towers never reach into the steep sided valley my farm lays in... No computers, no phones, no television, no internet...heaven if you ask me just me, good friends and family, deer and farm chores. Here area few more photos of our trip:
IMG_4139.JPG
IMG_4141.PNG
IMG_4147.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4194.JPG

Congratulations fellow Hoosier! I shot 2 does and let my brother and his son have my blind and my nephew killed his first deer minutes after getting in. I am looking for a good buck now and then at the end of the month have the state park reduction hunt. Freezer will be full!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back