Extreme velocity monos.

mtmuley

The guys at Hammer are pushing the envelope with mono bullets. Light caliber driven at extreme velocity. The results are hard to argue with. It's a bit of a different way of thinking, and hard to get used to. I know it was for me. Something to look into if you load monos. I can't post links, but I know Weatherby is going to load Hammers as well as Gunwerks. The Hammer site has great info showing what a hyper velocity mono can do. mtmuley

Will be happy when loading component availability stabilizes...have a few hammer brainstorms to binge.

Still deciding between the 117 and 124 gr .277 to mess around with this winter.
I have both. 117's fast is my plan. Loaded some last year but didn't get the accuracy I wanted and ran out if time. Steve told me to step on it. Haven't had time yet. Usually if he says to push faster, it works out. mtmuley

I’ll have to look into their stuff. I’ve shot several deer/lope with 100 Barnes from the 257 wby and my wife/step son have shot several deer with 80 grain Barnes from the 243, all at very high speeds with devastating effect. I’m sure theirs would do the same or better. Will have to check into it more post hunting season.

If I didn’t have a ridiculous pile of ammo loaded for my Kimber I would give the .264 109 AH a whirl. Pretty certain I could hit the 32-3300 mark with it.

Need to get a scope back on my .280 and play some more with the 131 HH. It’ll likely be a safe queen this year.

I started trying Hammers this past spring and have been very impressed. Easy to find a load for and you really get to push them hard.
The only complaint I have is mostly about the temperature stability of powders. When pushing these bullets on the edge of maximum pressure, I have had some pressure signs re-appear on hotter days when using loads I had already developed with no issues. It's caused me to back off some of my loads or switch to more temp stable powders such as the Hodgdon Extreme series if available or compatible with what I'm doing.
Even so, the accuracy is almost unbeatable in most rifles that I'm loading for and most of the velocities I'm pushing still either match or beat the ballistics of similar weight lead core bullets within normal hunting ranges.

I'm working on getting the 162AH to get up to speed in my 22" 300wsm. I'm at 3070 with H4350, won't be able to go any further before my next hunt. I think that is the top with that powder, but I'm pleased with where I am for now. I'd like to be in the 3200 range once its all over.

Last edited:
What “light” bullet is Hammer recommending for the 300 RUM? I was just getting ready to order a couple of more boxes of 181 HHs. While they seem to shoot pretty pretty well at just under 3300 FPS in my 1:10” barrel, I wouldn’t be adverse to trying something faster.

I’ll have to look into their stuff. I’ve shot several deer/lope with 100 Barnes from the 257 wby and my wife/step son have shot several deer with 80 grain Barnes from the 243, all at very high speeds with devastating effect. I’m sure theirs would do the same or better. Will have to check into it more post hunting season.
Montana company. In Kalispell. mtmuley

What “light” bullet is Hammer recommending for the 300 RUM? I was just getting ready to order a couple of more boxes of 181 HHs. While they seem to shoot pretty pretty well at just under 3300 FPS in my 1:10” barrel, I wouldn’t be adverse to trying something faster.
There is a guy in Australia shooting the 124 and killing the crap out of critters. Another member on Hammer shooting the 101. I'm shooting the 181 in my RUM, but I have 124's and 166's on the bench. I have 70 grain bullets for my .243. I used 80 grain prior but was convinced the 70 was just as good or better. Lots to think about. But like I said, Hammers and the high velocity are changing the game. mtmuley

There is a guy in Australia shooting the 124 and killing the crap out of critters. Another member on Hammer shooting the 101. I'm shooting the 181 in my RUM, but I have 124's and 166's on the bench. I have 70 grain bullets for my .243. I used 80 grain prior but was convinced the 70 was just as good or better. Lots to think about. But like I said, Hammers and the high velocity are changing the game. mtmuley
I also have a box of 196's. Cut just for the 10 twist. I am not completely away from heavy bullets in the RUM. mtmuley

Have not ordered a dial for the RUM yet Clint...the 181's will most likely be the formula but it would be interesting to load some welterweights for the speed trap...

Have not ordered a dial for the RUM yet Clint...the 181's will most likely be the formula but it would be interesting to load some welterweights for the speed trap...
It is hard to wrap your head around lighter bullets moving fast. I was talking with Steve and Brian and I am starting to come around. mtmuley

Have some 174 hammer hunters loaded in the 300wsm at 3050fps and 131 grain hammer hunters loaded to 3060fps in the wife’s 7mm-08. Both should get some elk work. Hers will be used on antelope as I didn’t draw this year. Have a ptg sale 25-06 that I’ll try some 92 grain hammer hunters in if I don’t decide to sell it

Have some 174 hammer hunters loaded in the 300wsm at 3050fps and 131 grain hammer hunters loaded to 3060fps in the wife’s 7mm-08. Both should get some elk work. Hers will be used on antelope as I didn’t draw this year. Have a ptg sale 25-06 that I’ll try some 92 grain hammer hunters in if I don’t decide to sell it
My 25 RoyMag is married to the 92gr Hunter...wasn't a lengthy courtship

I also have a box of 196's. Cut just for the 10 twist. I am not completely away from heavy bullets in the RUM. mtmuley
I am all aboard the "hammer train", but i can't find a solid lighterweight load for 300wm that seems good enough to kick the 199's to the curb yet. 6.5 & 7's seem like they have more attractive lighter options.

My 25 RoyMag is married to the 92gr Hunter...wasn't a lengthy courtship
I actually struggled to find a load the 7mm-08 liked with the 131 hammer. When I say struggled it took 20 bullets for me to finally give up on trying to make it like varget. Had to switch to h4985. 6 bullets later I had my load

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back