Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

“Extreme Outer Limits” leaving tv

kansasdad

Bob and Chris Beck have announced that they have decided to take their show, “Extreme Outer Limits” off tv (had been on Sportsman Channel) and going to YouTube (and other social media platforms).

For those not familiar with the type of hunting featured on their show, it is centered on killing animals at long distances. Regularly showing prone hunters shooting 700-1000 yards, with posse high fives when the animal was down. (will the reader discern my feelings towards such activities, when it seems likely that some effort towards closing the distance is entirely possible??).

They will continue to push their affiliated businesses such as NightForce optics, McMillin stocks and Berger bullets.

Bob Beck did make a brief appearance on HuntTalk 11 hears ago to defend himself in this thread:

There are several other threads regarding his dealings with Idaho F&G on HuntTalk found by doing a search.

I pondered, even debated with myself about starting this thread. I could have added this comment to the current thread about having enough hunting influencers.

I know that the unlawful take occurred more than a decade ago. And he has continued to use his show to promote long range shooting, acquiring affiliated businesses and even outfitting business over this time. His leaving the TV world, and going to YouTube is something FreshTracks has done. Business is business, even in the hunting universe.

Last edited:
Long range shooting at animals (note, I did not say hunting) belongs in the social media dumpster. Too bad it won't be on some format where comments can be inputted.

A few years back I got to know a local "celebrity" host of an outdoors TV show. He told me the crazy crap that goes on trying to get one of those shows up and running and keep it on the air. He had to round up the sponsors and they paid the network. Most hosts of new shows were using their own money to bribe sponsors into getting on board. A rich parent or in-law funding them was invariably what was flooding the market with TV show wannabes. The networks put air time up for bid. Very cutthroat.

I feel like a lot of western media hunting has gone the route of long range stuff. The last two I can think of that I watched, a guy shot an elk at 700 yards and Brady Miller shot a deer at like 780 or something. I think there is such an emphasis on filling a tag that having the ability to shoot that far makes filling a tag more likely.

What about Lorenzo Sartini on Randy’s Wyoming mule deer hunt? Almost forgot about that fine display of shooting skill. Was the first locating shot through the bucks sack?

I was universally against any shooting over 300, maybe 400 yds, until I met a guy who was probably more reliable at 600 than I was at 200 at the time. I had to eat a little crow........

However, it seems obvious that way more people think they are competent at 400+ than actually are. It's pretty seductive to get an accurate rifle and load, and spend some time in a sunny summertime pasture swinging steel with it. Seems like to me though that there is only one way to actually be a competent long range shooter, and that is to shoot in very similar country under very similar conditions a lot, before you have an animal in the crosshairs.

I'm convinced that there are a lot of untold stories by hunting influencers when it comes to long range shooting. I'm also convinced that the number of people who can actually hit what they are aiming at in field conditions at 400+ on demand, is tiny. They do exist, though.

I've seen exactly one episode of that show and like most hunting media I was very turned off by it. As I recall in the episode, there was a point where the crew hadn't seen any animals and apparently boredom set in so the host started shooting at the side of a huge cliff about 1200 yards away (on public land) trying to hit a specific spot on the rock face for target practice. Who TF does that!?

I've seen exactly one episode of that show and like most hunting media I was very turned off by it. As I recall in the episode, there was a point where the crew hadn't seen any animals and apparently boredom set in so the host started shooting at the side of a huge cliff about 1200 yards away (on public land) trying to hit a specific spot on the rock face for target practice. Who TF does that!?
I've been known to shoot at a rock or two. mtmuley

I was universally against any shooting over 300, maybe 400 yds, until I met a guy who was probably more reliable at 600 than I was at 200 at the time. I had to eat a little crow........

However, it seems obvious that way more people think they are competent at 400+ than actually are. It's pretty seductive to get an accurate rifle and load, and spend some time in a sunny summertime pasture swinging steel with it. Seems like to me though that there is only one way to actually be a competent long range shooter, and that is to shoot in very similar country under very similar conditions a lot, before you have an animal in the crosshairs.

I'm convinced that there are a lot of untold stories by hunting influencers when it comes to long range shooting. I'm also convinced that the number of people who can actually hit what they are aiming at in field conditions at 400+ on demand, is tiny. They do exist, though.
true but equipment and practice has a ton to do with it, in my opion, and l own 2 long range rifles, is don't even think about it taking 500 to 600 yard shot unless you have shot at least 200 or 300 rounds in a summer. the way my dad and l practice is you get 2 shots at whatever range we are shooting, which to us is a realistic hunting situation.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back