Experience with Hogue stocks...

Pinecricker

..I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye (with the new style safety) that I'd like to swap out the plastic factory stock on.

I am looking at getting a Hogue, but have a few questions. Ideally, I'd like a stock that is already inletted, that I can have bedded. However, its seems like many aftermarket synthetic stocks aren't really designed to be bedded, and they don't often fit perfect. If any one has any first hand experience they can share in these areas it would be very much appreciated.

Lastly, any easy way to determine which barrel style my Ruger has, standard or "B" barrel?

I have one on my rifle,full aluminum bed ,over-molded.
I just ordered one specific to my old 700 and it was drop in and tighten.
I had to upgrade mine from ADL to BDL is all.
Call Hogue and give them your model numbers. Then get it where ever you want or can order them.
I went to the factory since I was in Paso then.

Oh, I love the stock.
Some folks don't like the soft feel of them,but mine has gone through what broke a walnut stock and has never been off.

I wouldn't buy a Hogue. If you are looking for an aftermarket stock, there's better options for both weight and stiffness.

Stay away from Houge, theyre crap. Spend a little extra and get a Bell & Carlson. If you're gonna do it, do it right

Stay away from Houge, theyre crap. Spend a little extra and get a Bell & Carlson. If you're gonna do it, do it right
Seriously? Crap?:confused:
The stock that came on my TC Omega is crap.
My friends new Ruger is sporting a crap synthetic stock.
Most new rifles I have held with synthetic stocks were crap.

BC stocks are nice & very pricey.
I might pay that much for a fine burl stock,but not for some poured plastic.
I love my Hogue stock and have no issues or regrets with buying one. MHO

..I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye (with the new style safety) that I'd like to swap out the plastic factory stock on.

I am looking at getting a Hogue, but have a few questions. Ideally, I'd like a stock that is already inletted, that I can have bedded. However, its seems like many aftermarket synthetic stocks aren't really designed to be bedded, and they don't often fit perfect. If any one has any first hand experience they can share in these areas it would be very much appreciated.

Lastly, any easy way to determine which barrel style my Ruger has, standard or "B" barrel?

I like to have a few extra Hogues lying around the shop so I can give them out as gifts to people I don't really like.

Travis

I'm not sure how poured rubber could be stiffer than poured plastic...and by the way fiberglass and plastic ain't the same thing.

Anyway, on bedding the Hogue I'd be concerned about your bedding material literally being stiffer than the stock. Hope it works out for you though, let us know how it goes.

Mine is a aluminum stock frame with the rubber over,and yeah it's softer than plastic.But totally stiff.

Its not a rifle I want to spend much money on. Its one I plan to use as a beater for carrying on an ATV, or for keeping in the truck. I may just sell the thing. By the time I put a new stock and a decent trigger on it, I'd have spent more on it that what I paid for it.

Mine is a aluminum stock frame with the rubber over,and yeah it's softer than plastic.But totally stiff.
Maybe they changed them, but previous users had issues with forend/barrel contact when on a bipod. Bipod and user interface is a factor is stiffness and repeatability as well, not just the action and block. Anyway, not saying it doesn't work, it's just seems like a loose end to me. I could certainly be wrong.

This might be a bit of a departure, but have you considered a Boyd's laminate stock? If I was in your shoes, I think this is the direction I might head. I don't have alot of experience with Hogue stocks, but I don't care for the feel.

Plus, I don't see that Bell and Carlson lists Ruger.
http://www.bellandcarlson.com/

B&C makes a Carbelite for a Ruger 77 MKII, which should fit your Hawkeye as well. Personally, I don't like the ergos of the 77 Carbelite, thus it sits in my closet and the factory stocks remain on my 77's. The Remington 700 Carbelite is another story. I love the shape of that stock, even more than their more expensive models. YMMV.

Never weighed it.
It weighs way less than the walnut burl stock I had originally. I cracked that one on a bad fall in the Sierras.
I shoot it off just about anything including sticks or against trees too.
Full free floating barrel. Not slick when it gets real cold either. Simms pad built in.
Had a mule roll on it in granite 6 years ago,just a scuff that dissappeared. Scratched the barrel and dented a Leupold scope. New scope and I was good to go.
It's never been off.
I was going to make a new wood sock from my collection of nice furniture wood or a laminate,but this thing is weather proof and fall proof.

Last edited:
Being it's a beater gun, why not just leave the factory stock on it? mtmuley

Yeah seriously. The Hawkeye synthetic stocks are actually pretty stiff for tupperware. Probably as good or better than a Hogue for accuracy. Lighter too.

I haven't read any of the other replies so I apologize if this has already been posted. They're what the budding custom shop known as Deflave Precision uses. At least that's what came on the one build of his that I could afford...

I haven't read any of the other replies so I apologize if this has already been posted. They're what the budding custom shop known as Deflave Precision uses. At least that's what came on the one build of his that I could afford...

I guess we all know how he feels about you:

I like to have a few extra Hogues lying around the shop so I can give them out as gifts to people I don't really like.

Travis

Back