EXOTIC hunting in the SPRING....

Moosie

Grand poopa
I might make a quick trip to TEXAS in the spring..... Might make a week out of it.. I am Planning to Visit DaleT, JIMMY, Tom and a few More if I get the Chance.....

ANYWAYS.... My question is... If I plan a BIG EXOTIC hunt, a Real INEXPENSIVE hunt.....

WHO WOULD be interested and How Soon would you COMMIT to the HUNT..... I am just throwing out Ideas...... ?~?~?~

Hey, could you give me some details? Like what is usually available to hunt, when you would most likely be going, and what the costs are? I really doubt that I will be able to swing it being in school, but if it fell at the right time....

Oak

There's a good chance that I would be interested. However, for me to get away for a week the whole thing would have to fall on Spring Break.

By the way, what is meant by inexpensive??

An inexpensive hunt is the $180 hunt with $35 over the counter liscense at Thompson's place. Its described at a web page now too.
http://www.thompsontemple.texaswildlife.net/

When is spring break? I vote for March. That's in between quail and turkey season, although if you make it during turkey season in April basically (see TPW web page), Thompson lets people shoot a turkey for free if we get a group together to hunt, if you can call it in and they are there too. I heard one outside the ranch last spring. Let Moosie set it up. The more people Moosie coordinates, the more options we will get.

have bow will travel !!!:D with a chance at a rio turkey to boot, you bet ill make that one!!!:D lemme know!
blackbuck,corsican, and a rio in that order!

I would Rent like a MINI VAN or BUS OR something (Cost on ME) if We all fly into SANANTONIO the same day.......

So BAsically if we went to Temples Place,.... It would be $180 Bucks for the STAY and 1 CRITTER. they have other critters for $360 and others for $180....

I was thinking about Ariving EARLY EARLY FRIDAY... ANd Hunting Friday Afternoon.. Sat and Sun MORNING........... Flying out Sun EVE.

Actually I would want to Do some Mid week stuff so I would already be there...... But would start the Airport Shuttles Friday Morn.

ANY THOUGHTS ?!?!?!

I can't get to Idaho this fall, but I WILL get to Texas next spring. I'll even dust off the bow it that's what it takes. :cool:

No, Danr, you don't have to use a bow. I didn't, and Moosie didn't on his last two rams. It certainly makes it more challenging, but if you hunt the back hills and ridges, the bow may not work... heck, even a middle-aged overweight guy like me was able to handle the worst the ranch had to offer. (And that is still half the fun, even if I do b!t@h about it.)

Calif.- That's good to hear, because even though I like to shoot things with a bow I can't wait to see what my .338 will do to something!! School may keep me from hunting something with it this fall, but I am sure I could shoot a ram with it!!! :D

hmmmmm sounds interesting and a whole lotta fun, I might be persuaded to go if the dates are right for me. I have a shed antler hunt in ND and turkey/shed anler hunt in MT scheduled this spring but not sure the exact dates will have to find out. Also will need to leave a couple days early if it is in TX cuz I don't fly in airplanes. Keep me posted and will work on my end as far as the dates sounds super inexpensive for a get together shoot 'em up.
Chris

Any weapon you want is legal on exotics in Texas all year long. Turkey season is April 6 to May 12 and it gets harder to call them in each week.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/news/news/hunting_calendar.htm

There's a link there for the Texas hunting regulations, an out of state turkey liscense is over the counter, like the exotics one but costs more.

I know a economical hog hunt (high fence) for $120 right south of San Antonio. The $35 exotic liscense lasts 5 days and could cover the hog hunt and exotic hunt, if some wanted to do that.

That would be $35 out of state 5 day liscense. $120 for hog hunt. $180 for economy ram hunt. Lodging is included at the ram hunt. Lodging for the hog hunt could be to split a Motel 6 room of $40, the lodge at the hog hunt place charges per person each night and is not such a good deal, compared to Motel 6. I know a meat processor on the way to Thompson's from San Antonio where the hog meat could be processed before you go back. They also have a deal where they give you sausage for your ram meat and the money to make sausage out of that. Its like $60 for making the sausage if its the same as last year. I could check.

I could find out about a group rate for a meal at the Buckhorn Saloon which is full of mounts from the owners of Lonestar Brewery, who hunted all over the world. Its in downtown San Antonio.

There are special group rates to tour the www.777ranch.com where they charge $250/day guide fee, and $100/night lodging. We could do a group tour and see lots of exotics for like $10/person if we wanted to. Its a few miles west of San Antonio on the way to Thompson's ram hunt.

Thompson's ram hunt choices are Corsican, Haw.Black, Texas Dall, Mouflon, New Zealand mountain goat, and Rambo ram, those are the choices at $180 and some of each are also at $360. Sometimes there's 4 horns and painted desert rams depending on availability which is hard to predict. You get an aoudad if you can find one (free), after you get one of the other rams. They are there, they are just good at hiding. Varmints are free too, a guy called in a fox last weekend there.

I'm going by the past, Moosie has to get this stuff officially from Thompson for this group. That's my disclaimer since I don't book these hunts.

I am in if I can afford it then, Sounds like a blast...I'll take my bow...

what are we going to hunt? I know you guys are younger and like to sit around watching exotic dancers for a week. But is there something to hunt?LOL

Delw

Hey guys that sounds like fun to me.I will have to ask the boss (wifey) if I can go and maybe work some extra days to pay for it but ut sounds like fun to me. :D :D

I like the white one with the blue tag in it's ear

I realize I have not been at "Moosie's" site for very long. Not sure if this is exclusive to all of you or if an outsider like me is welcome on this hunt. In any case, if it is available to me I would like to go. Sounds like fun.

I will require a small bench of some sort to shoot off of due to my handicap. If they can't accomodate that then I can't go.

I didn't see how many acres they have fenced but I assume (and we all know what that means) they know where the animals are based on the fact it is only 1 1/2 days of hunting.

Is this one guide per hunter? It wasn't real clear on their site.

I wonder what they charge for culling out does (whitetail), something I really enjoy.

I wouldn't want any of the meat - I hope they donate it to a local homeless shelter.

In any case, if this isn't a hunt for a select group I am interested in going. As to dates, makes no difference to me, all I have to do is ask my Boss if I can have time off.

I just asked (ME) and he said it was ok

I am sure more info will be posted.

Don

SHAKEY.... There is LL kinds of Accomidations for ya.. Or I would make sure that there is.... I was in a blind with Cali hunter and We QUICKLY left.... But, later that day we walked by it and there was Critters EATING right where we were..... Just No Pacience on our part.. and YES.. You could SCORE... Hunts can Be as easy or as Hard as ya like.....

AS FAR as WHO is invited.. If someone WALKED in here today and JOINED they wpouldbe welcome to G O!!!!! Every member is a Family Member in My eyes.. And I AN ZAR !!!!!! God of the HutnTalk.com site :D :D

I wasn't sure if there would be any intrest.. But looks like it.. What I would do Is By Nov or So GET a $50 Deposite from People interested.... I hate to say it but there are MANY MANY SAYERS.. and Not Alway Doers..... So i need a Comitment.... FAIR I THINK !!!!

Anyways, Tom is Helping me plan soemthing and We will figure it out..... STILL Tentative So y'all know, but I'd like to see it a Reality !!!!

I'm making a copy of the $50 check I write. Are you bonded or what?

The only limit is about 20 ram hunters at the ranch for whatever date Moosie gets. Get a date right after he restocks the place, if its even possible to do that, I don't know.

Sometimes he has whitetail does, but gun season for that is Nov. and Dec., they are not yearround because they are native animals in Texas and the liscense to shoot them is like $250 out of state instead of $35 for exotics. If you wanted a sika doe, those are yearround and exotics covered by the $35 liscense and we would have to get them on a nearby ranch. They would probably be around the $180/animal but we have to know you want one and find them and make arrangements as they are not on the ram hunt ranch. They are an asian elk.

So where do we send the $50 deposit, made out to Thompson Temple or to Moosie? I say made out to Thompson but mail to Moosie.

When is this hunt, that is the question?
What do you mean tentative hunt?

Zar Moosie is in charge.

tom.. i GOT A cALL INTO tEMPLE.. bUT NO RESPONDY.....

Dang caps locks :D :D

Call him since you're closer and Talk over some details... I will go with some dates you decide..... Get ahold of him and I'll call ya Next week.... Interested parties are already E-mailing me....

Checks will be made out to Temple... Mailed to MOOSIE.. Then as a Package Mailed to THomson..... Or I will cover the cost initially then Get reimbursed......

It sounds good to me just need some more details like the dates then I will ask my wifey.UM what about airfare.And where we meeting that sorta thing. :D

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back