PEAX Equipment

Ever kill a lion off it’s kill?

Congrats on the great hunt. Maybe I missed it, but are you planning to euro, full mount, rug?
The skull will be beetle cleaned. The hide is in my freezer now. Not mounting it. It’s expensive and if I’m gonna do it it will be a bigger Tom. (Maybe someday I will get one). Thinking of getting it tanned. It’s in great shape. Just one tiny bullet hole

Wow, thats a damn old cat! Got a female that creeps around my place regularly that was collared last march and aged 9-10 yrs old at the time according to the biologist, so shes 10-11 now. I doubt very many get that old. Very cool.

Wow. Just seeing this thread for the first time. Amazing. I saw a lion while deer hunting a few weeks ago but just for a split second in thick timber. I would love to get one someday. Hard to imagine that cat probably killed 500 deer in its 10 year lifetime, and that one you found by that road was its last. Congratulations

I've only killed one mountain lion but it was in a tree that my guide's dogs chased him up.

And I did kill a leopard in Mozambique that was eating a warthog bait that I had shot.

And then when I worked for the US Forest Service, one of my jobs was to dispose of (with dynamite) horses that had been killed in the backcountry to prevent human - bear conflicts. One of the horses that I had to blow up had broken his leg and had to be put down near a trail in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness north of Yellowstone NP. A grizzly bear had found the dead horse and had charged horseback riders on the nearby trail. So the FS District Ranger called me to get rid of the dead horse.

The grizzly was eating the horse when I got there and he ran off when he saw us. When I left there was just little pieces of the horse that coyotes and birds quickly made disappear.

I found a freshly killed deer. The cat had killed it in the road and drug it off into the brush filled ditch. I came back two days later and saw that the cat had been eating on it but this time there was snow on the ground so I could see that the cat was living in a culvert under the road. The other end of the culvert was smashed so it couldn't get out that way. My plan was to come back the next day with a friend. I was going to set up where I could get a shot and have him beat on the smashed end of the culvert to scare the cat out. But it snowed a couple of feet that night and it just didn't seem like it was worth the effort.

Another time I found an elk calf that a cougar had killed. I sat on that all afternoon, untill it got dark. I went back early the next morning and there was a lot of bear sign around and the body was gone. I never did find it again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back