Ever Cook Brown Trout

Mainer207

I normally don’t keep brown trout, but given my desire to stay out of the grocery, I stuck an 18” brown today with my fly rod. I was casting an olive bugger to the edges of the ice line as it’s receding here in the Catskills.

Going to serve it up tonight but wondering if any of you have good recipes?

Attachments

• 0DAD907B-9BAA-481A-9125-C7B835875F59.jpeg
    0DAD907B-9BAA-481A-9125-C7B835875F59.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 34
  • B92120F5-7A75-499E-ACFE-5ACA0D12E0A1.jpeg
    B92120F5-7A75-499E-ACFE-5ACA0D12E0A1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 34
When i'm camping I like to eat a fresh fish for dinner when it's an option. I gut it, rub it in olive oil, season with salt pepper and garlic. Then if it's available, I like to find the wild mint that grows in some of the riparian areas in Wyoming and pick quite a bit of it. I'll rip it up as small as I can get it and pack it into the cavity then throw it in foil and cook it. I've done a number of browns that way and they always turn out good.

My palate can’t tell the difference from a rainbow, cutty, brown or brookie if they come from the same waters. As a general rule, I find running water trout better eating than still water fish. (I’m looking at you, amazingly productive lakes with runoff from the feedlots....fast growing, horrible tasting rainbows).

I like to do them simple...cut the head off and gut it. Stuff the cavity with butter, lemons, and old bay to taste. Wrap in foil and cook on the grill with a nice steak.
What he said, but I like to add onion in there as well.

However, the best I ever had was a couple that my Dad and I caught after a hard morning of turkey hunting. Started a fire on the bank and cooked them on a rock next to the coals. Found a small packet of salt in the truck and that was it. Best ever.

When you say you normally don’t keep brown trout, does that mean you do keep the rainbows?? Rainbows are by far the least tasty of all the trout I’ve eaten. Browns are significantly better. Rub fillets with olive oil and seasoning and soy sauce, then smoke them at 250 skin side down till you get your desired texture. If it’s not for dinner then you can always smoke at 160-180 for longer to get a better Smokey flavor.
or place in a foil pouch with potatoes butter lemon and seasoning and cook on the grill or in the oven.

Trout - I keep if camping, at least an amount legal and for the camp dinner. I'm a Keep It Simple Stupid type person... Always pack tinfoil. I have my packed - spice mix of lemon pepper, onion powder and dried chives... I don't chop the head or anything however, I do slice the tail connection with the body w/o severing the spine bone. I douse the cavity with the spice and wrap in foil. Have a bed of coals aside from the fire and set on coals/embers. flip, cook a bit longer (occasionally moving more coals/embers onto the foil wrapped trout). Once done, open and gently pull the tail inward and watch the vast majority of bones easily pulled away from the incredible meat. Then, enjoy.

I do hope you aren't talking about the Urban Dictionary version of "Brown Trout" :ROFLMAO:

I'd not noticed any difference in flavor or texture of the trout based on species.

I do hope you aren't talking about the Urban Dictionary version of "Brown Trout" :ROFLMAO:

I'd not noticed any difference in flavor or texture of the trout based on species.
Several times I’ve caught 3 species or more in a day. You may not realize the difference until you have them side by side one time. You’ll see what I’m talking about. I always keep the rainbows so they can’t reproduce, release some Brookies and cuts. Browns too. In rank from best to worst: lake trout, brook trout, cutthroat, brown, rainbow. Have yet try a golden or a tiger.

Thanks for the tips. Pretty much went with the keep it simple.

Stuffed it with green onion, red onion, garlic, and butter. Rubbed it in salt, pepper and oil and then wrapped it and grilled it.

Attachments

• 52B8C824-3BE6-4A8C-8EC6-31EEBDC8C526.jpeg
    52B8C824-3BE6-4A8C-8EC6-31EEBDC8C526.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 8FB9623E-C705-40EF-B03C-9FF1248C7EAE.jpeg
    8FB9623E-C705-40EF-B03C-9FF1248C7EAE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Need a salivating type nod versus a blue thumbs up!

Makes me want to go catch trout now!

Need a salivating type nod versus a blue thumbs up!

Makes me want to go catch trout now!

I officially got laid off of work, so I’ll be trying to put a few more on our plates. Nothing beats the unemployed blues like getting out in a canoe and remembering that we’re all lucky to be breathing and paddling!

Browns taste like mud to me. Fun to catch but nope.

If the water is below 50, they taste just fine fresh. That last one was better than the rainbow that I let sit around an extra day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back