Equipment Action shots for Oak

I told you I would help pack out your Bull if you got in a pinch. Alas, I broke a bone in my lower leg a full 10 feet into packing out Bess' elk this afternoon, so I am out of comission...:mad: Had e to call in a posse to help her pack out her elk without me, starting tomorrow. Yeah, big weanie, I know.

Now you have heard every lame excuse there is!:rolleyes:

osteoporosis?:D

Dam that is nasty and that really sucks. For sure cheaper to get a side of beef next time.

osteoporosis?:D

That really hurt when Mr. James suggested similarly!

And Nice Bull! Way to stick with it, The opener looked brutal and would have sent lesser Joes back home for the season to watch football and talk about how they woulda tagged out if the weather had not been 'impossible'. Be proud and take your calcium supplements--you will be my age before you know it.

Last edited:
Started back through all the pics.

I spent ALOT of time scouting around here earlier in the year:D

P1020747.jpg

I didn't think I could make it in there, then I asked "WWCHD"

P1020878.jpg

The rest of these suckwads better watch out next year.

P1020779.jpg

More of the same.

P1020873.jpg

P1020875.jpg

Hey, I know where that tree is! ;)

Let me know if you need any help with the rest of those suckwads...

Thanks for cleaning out the gene pool in Colorado. ;)

If I can remove my tail from between my legs after the butt whipping I'm taking this year, I'll be back to Colorado some day. And I'm coming home with an elk. Or terrible chafing if I find that tree you have multiple pictures of.

Try a mix of aloe and cocoa butter.

And congrats on the nice bull. Hard work should always pay dividends like that.

I guess the real question for me today is.............will it get cold enough for snow to stick where Oak is this week?

I hope he has a good tent.

Awesome photos of a great bull Dink. Congratulations.

With your experience with the Nallo (AK, CO, Timbuk 2, BFE), would you buy it again or try something different?

First, I must say that we went from tents you’d buy at a grocery store and PRAYED it didn’t rain and was then miserable anyway, to these tents so I do not know much about mid $ tents. There could be some great ones out there, but we were tired of being miserable. If anyone wants to get even with an enemy, send me their address and I will send them a 2 man Eureka free of charge:D

The Nallo 2 has been a great tent. There is nothing like the feeling of getting pummeled by the weather while you are dry and comfy inside. Well worth the $. Decent size enough for backpack hunting for 2. It is a great tent for that intended use.

Then Nallo 2 GT is also pretty cool. But it has left me a little torn. It takes some serious real estate to set up. The vestibule is nice but it has to be pretty miserable out before you are willing to cram your azz in there and sit. If it is that crappy out I just as soon go to sleep. All the tipi talk has left me thinking that this particular shelter size and need would be better suited with that style of shelter. The problem with the tipi is no floor and summer use with the wife. We had a little mouse problem one time while she was camping with me elk hunting and she is not going to stay in something without a floor. Period.

Clear as mud?:confused:

Good to know. I've been looking for a little while to find the "perfect" 2 man tent that's light enough to comfortably take on solo excursions but roomy enough for two people to not feel like they're making a man sandwich in. I've been on the lookout for a couple of years and have been just getting by in the mean time. Partly because I haven't found the right tent but mostly because I'm a cheap bastage.

Got a nice North Face 6 man family tent about 6 months ago that my wife fell in love with when we went camping with our daughter in this summer. Since I was car camping for my NM mule deer hunt last month I decided to take it along and throw a couple cots in it for a buddy and I. Worked out great 'til White Squall showed up then it trashed the tent. Wife was thrilled!

Long story a bit longer, now I need to buy two tents.

Wish I coule try out one of those tipi style tents. You can add a tub and net the Black Diamond and GoLite ones to keep the mice and snakes out . . . which I'd probly orefer for summertime camping since I'm a puzz as well. :)

after you spend the money on Kifaru you wont have any regretts,especially after sitting out bad weather next to a hot wood stove or putting warm ,dry clothes and boots on in the morning.Cceck outthe classified adds on their message board
Tim

Spitz - I have a Nallo 2 GT and a 4 GT. I love them both. When we were on the helicopter hunt, I know the winds were pushng 60 mph. We had them set up in the open, and the wind hammered them, but they withstood everything, with no problems. My other tents would have been kites in that kind of wind and sleet.

I would recommend a 3 GT if I was going to stuff two guys in one. The 2-man is a tight fit for two guys. But I am too fat and too tall for most 2-man tents. If weight was a primary concern, it would work for two guys, just might be a little cramped.

On the Heli hunt, Bart and I shared the 4-man with plenty of room for all our junk, extra clothes, and all else. Troy used the 2-man and it was ample for him and all his camera gear. The tents are pretty much bomb-proof, so it is mostly a matter of size and weight the suits your need.

Carl is the real expert on these tents. He helped me pick out what was best and let me go over to their store and try them out. Here is a link to where they sell them on their site.

High Caliber Gear - Hilleberg Tents

If you try one, I suspect it will fall into the "How did I live without it" category.

Back