Equipment Action shots for Oak

Dinkshooter

Not what you thought is it:D

P1020792.jpg

The vestibule really condensates when the ground is wet. I think I need to get a ½ ground cloth for this tent.

P1020806.jpg

2 nights like this takes the fun out of elk hunting. I am in the market for a packing size/weight synthetic bag.

Does anyone have experience with the goretex down bags?

The bull that was allowed to live because I was getting my ass kicked by the weather.

P1020798.jpg

....better wrap your gumby in polyethylene. That weather would kill the average Joe.

For everyone's information, before Dink left the other day I commented that it wasn't going to get cold enough to "stick". :D

I commend you on your choice of boots...

DS,

Kifaru makes a great tipi and stove for that and any other kind of weather! Just sayin'

DS,

Kifaru makes a great tipi and stove for that and any other kind of weather! Just sayin'

Does no floor suck? Does the ground dry fast with the stove? I kicked 3 inches of snow off the ground before I set up the tent and the ground was wet.

That tent picture was Saturday morning. It wasn't anybetter by Sunday morning.

As far as Oak's weather forecast....................................dont' take any hot stock tips from him:D

I commend you on your choice of boots...

I bought them in 2007. The rubber rand came unglued in a bunch of spots. It was making little pockets that then held water and snow and then leaked. I just cut them off before this last trip. I think it worked.

I see they have changed the design now. Is it staying on better? For 400 clams it should.

I have never had the floor get wet under any conditions, rain or snow, once it's set up. This includes an absolutely brutal storm in AK caribou hunting five years ago. When I have set up in wet weather, I put a small tarp under my pad and sleeping bag. Everything else seems to dry out quickly when I run the stove. Those tipis are bulletproof in my opinion and the stoves work great. You can warm up the tipi until your sitting in your skivvies, dry clothes and even cook on it. Well worth looking into!

On first review those tipis are not cheap.

It would be too much fun throwing around squaw references with the wife in one of those things though.

I bought them in 2007. The rubber rand came unglued in a bunch of spots. It was making little pockets that then held water and snow and then leaked. I just cut them off before this last trip. I think it worked.

I see they have changed the design now. Is it staying on better? For 400 clams it should.

I always had the same thing happen. I heard that it was likely the waterproofer I was using (Obenauf's), breaking down the rand glue. So I'm switching to Nikwax with my new pair. We'll see how it holds up now.

I get 2 years tops out of a pair, but I wear them for work, too.

DS,

Not cheap, but worth every single penny!!!!! Get Grizzley's opinion. He sufferred through a cold wet elk hunt in CO this Sept. and is now the proud owner of a new Kifaru!

Looks like some solidly rough weather for sure. Good luck with the continued elk search.

Does anyone have experience with the goretex down bags?
Heavy, wet and $$$$. Cheaper and more dry to buy a decent Syn bag and nice full goretex bivy sack.
Does no floor suck?
Floorless rocks.
On first review those tipis are not cheap.
Get a golite teepee, stove jack and stove from TI Goat, and go to a sewing/alterations shop and have them sew it in. MUCH cheaper.
I always had the same thing happen. I heard that it was likely the waterproofer I was using (Obenauf's), breaking down the rand glue. So I'm switching to Nikwax with my new pair. We'll see how it holds up now.

I get 2 years tops out of a pair, but I wear them for work, too.
Mine haven't started to peel yet; use Obenaufs regularly. Full year of hard miles on mine.. Knock on wood I guess. Is nikwax goretex approved??

No problems with Obenhauf's on mine as well. Several people I work with are using the same boots and the only one I know that has had problems takes terrible care of any gear and has been known to all but wade in herbicide, which can't be good for them.

I'm guessing the weather was getting really bad for you to let that guy go.

Heavy, wet and $$$$. Cheaper and more dry to buy a decent Syn bag and nice full goretex bivy sack.

Floorless rocks.

Get a golite teepee, stove jack and stove from TI Goat, and go to a sewing/alterations shop and have them sew it in. MUCH cheaper.

Mine haven't started to peel yet; use Obenaufs regularly. Full year of hard miles on mine.. Knock on wood I guess. Is nikwax goretex approved??

Nikwax makes one version for goretex, and another for the leather.

Who knows...perhaps I'm letting my boots get too dried out in the hot summer. The rands did not start coming off my last pair too badly...I just started blowing seams out.

Gore-Tex does not recommend waterproofing treatments. They only say to use what the shoe manufacturer recommends:

We do not recommend the use of waterproofing waxes or greases as they can affect the footwear's breathability. Apply only treatments, polishes, conditioners, and dressings recommended by the manufacturer.

Lowa does not make a specific recommendation on care products for their boots, but they have pretty detailed instructions for care: http://www.lowa.de/english/worth_knowing/service/care.php

Nikwax does make products that they say are ok for Gore-Tex, such as this:

http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=259&activity=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back