Elknut's Playbook?

I'm not an elk expert, but I like their stuff. There's old posts about their products.

It is a good read depending on your skill level. Gets you thinking about strategy anyway. Reeds are great if you can use them.

Also thinking about going to a mouth reed vs a handheld one.
As far as calling goes, the mouth reed, IMO is the only way to go. Remember to use voice also with the reed. Growling at the start of the bugle and during the grunt can make a huge difference in the realistic sound of your calls. The worst thing though, is calling in other hunters. You have to really watch for that! You can usually tell by how they react whether it's really a bull or a hunter.

I did some searching on here, didn't realize he was a pretty big deal. ;) I ordered the Playbook and the elk sounds cd. Thanks guys

I found the CD to be a great way to get used to various elk sounds I may not have heard for a few years depending on the timing of my recent hunts. The elk sounds are second nature as I begin the hunt rather than "hey, I heard an elk" over the ridge. Good strategy suggestions in the playbook.

Some similarities between elk and turkey hunting. I use a CD of turkey sounds to practice calls as I am getting ready for spring and fall turkey seasons.

Playbook is a good book and I read it from time to time.He likes to use bull sounds mostly and I've found that only works on some bulls.But, when it works and their aggressive, its the best hunt/action.I'd recommend the book.

I would recommend as well. Gives you some great ideas on strategies and he is very clear that you should use that as a guide but be flexible and try other things. It can be taken right out into the field with you. The CDs are also very good and I practice them on long solo drives.

You gotta call Paul up - Great guy to talk to. Lives for elk. The playbook is fantastic. I have that, the CD, several reeds and the tube from him. I do like his reeds better than several others I have used. Paul is a stand up guy.

Thanks for the comments guys, it's much appreciated!

The PlayBook is written with methods & techniques for nearly any encounter hunters may come across. Hence the name Playbook. (grin) Sorta like a Playbook in the NFL. Reading a situation is still needed by the hunter so he can evaluate what elk are doing that day not just because of a date & elk should be rutting but may not be. The book is designed to successfully hunt & call elk in whether they are rutting or not.

True, bull sounds are our dominant sounds, the reason for this is they work. When hunters realize there are different bugles that bulls use in sending out their message from -come over this way- stay back- calling cows to him- etc. Then you can start to understand what you're hearing & what to do next. It's the intensity & cadence of the bugle that depicts the message they are giving or that you are sending out to them. A bugle is just a bugle to elk, they have meaning! Cow sounds are important too but not like the bugle! The two together at the right times can be unbeatable!

We use these methods ourselves all on OTC Public Land hunts & do quite well & have for many years & many states. Nothing takes the place of Perseverance, Burning Boot Leather & Hunting Smart but the book will help you to unravel many of the encounters you will face & how to handle them from cows to herd bulls! Hope this helps!

ElkNut1

Thanks Elknut, do you have a recommendation on a mouth reed for a beginner? I currently have the buglin bull matriarch as well as the "pack-a-bull" bugle. Amazed at the responses I got last fall with the pack a bull. It was awesome! I had just bought it a week before season and practiced every chance I could get. Wife wasn't thrilled though. Lol

Ha Ha, geez, all wives are alike when it comes to serenading them with elk sounds! (grin) Give the Mellow Yellow a try, it's a very user friendly reed, we send out over a thousand a year & hunters of all experience levels love that reed for it's ease of use. It should do well for you.

ElkNut1

It is nice to see Paul chiming in.

I have several of his CD's as well (which I will be listening to on the road today!) as two copies of his Playbook. (One copy for home and second copy for my pack). I like it because sometimes you can get into a funk and things seem hopeless. I will pull out the book and it reminds me of some other things which I should be trying.

As far as reeds, I will second he Mello Yellow. Very easy to use. I can slide from cow to small bull with same reed.

And Paul is a genuinely nice guy! If you want to talk elk, he is your man. And great customer service. Quick. (I have also purchased some optics from him also)

Is this CD something I can put in the car and practice imitating the sounds with my diaphragm calls?

Is this CD something I can put in the car and practice imitating the sounds with my diaphragm calls?

Absolutely. For that, I would purchase "Sounds by the ELK". (I have this one and just listened to it yesterday.

It is actual recordings of elk and he tells you what type of sound it is. It also has a second series of the same sounds, with a 10 second pause before the next sequence. (Which gives you time to emulate)

Z, thanks! Yes these are actual Sounds made by both Cows & Bulls. Here's an example of what's on it. This CD clip is showing the various sounds bulls will make, this one highlights a Bull's Pants! Listen carefully & you will hear where he gives a heavy breath before or after a bugle or groan, this denotes excitement when a bull injects this tone or sound, it shows you have him where you want him. Using these sounds as a hunter in return can be dynamite when used at the right time! Listen to this clip very closely & pick out those pants & groans, these are very deadly sounds to incorporate into specific hunting encounters. The ElkNut's Playbook goes into detail when elk use these sounds & when we would use these sounds & many others that are on the CD & Book. This Playbook is also on CD with the sounds in Chapter 3, it's 4 hr 20 minutes long so good for times behind the wheel.The Sounds are all on separate tracks so you can go to any individual sound while listening to the book or the CD.

This means if you are reading about why & when bulls glunk you can immediately go to the glunking track & listen to it then go right back to where you were listening to the reading of the book.Lots of Cow & Bull sounds defined between the two. It took us a year & a half to round all these various sounds up as there are 4-6 bulls or cows in each sound track making their sounds, this helps hunters a lot as not all elk sound alike but may be saying the same thing, age & excitement of animal will depict their quality of sound.

https://soundcloud.com/elknut1/chapter-11-pants-huffs-or-groans

ElkNut1

Last edited:
I gotta get a new one for the truck as I broke mine....real sounds are what you need to practice with and it's not convieniant to carry a herd with you...............lol, besides it has even more of a head turning ability than just a bugle or cow in heat from me when passing. I'm low key these days.

Back