Caribou Gear

WY Resident Elk tag questions - need help!

Bob-WY

I've read as much as I can find on the WY game and fish site, still confused, possibly by word of mouth vs what I've read or not been able to verify!

Wife and I are now residents for tags! That's the good news. I've figured out what we want to do for pronghorn and deer, elk is boggling my mind!

Setup: Where we are, "close" units there are 3-4 General units (including where I live!) and several units in the Bighorns that are not general, but I'd a range of chance from decent to poor on drawing a type 1 tag (any elk, shorter season), but 100% on type 4 (long season cow) or 100% on type 6 (shorter season, cow). So other than a few dollars, I think type-6 is not a good option.

Then toss in General tag and open questions about that, and my head is spinning. I was supposed to pick a local friends brain on tag strategy, but COVID killed that, though I still may have that chance.

What I need some help with is answers and strategy options! Wife and I are new to elk hunting (had type-6 NR cow tags in a general unit last year and saw noting but people and tents).

My initial thought is to go type-1 for me and type-4 for her in a the nearest not general unit. 25% draw for me, 100% for her. I was thinking of type 1 as first choice, 4 as second, but second choice type 4 has a 1% draw! type 6 has 100% but short season.

Honestly we will both shoot any legal elk and would be happy with a cow, but the back of my mind is thinking I will end up calling in bulls if we both have cow tags :). We both will start in archery and swap to rifle as needed in October.

General questions I can't find answers to:
- I've heard as a resident I can get General tag OTC at any time, is that true?
- I've heard I can "trade" a full priced tag in for another, is that true? Friend told me last year he had a General tag, then traded it for a type-4 in the general unit so he could hunt through December?
- I think I understand that I can have 3 elk tags (can't imagine filling them!), but only 1 full priced?
- Do residents get to declare a "party" in the draw (we did that last year to make sure we got the same tag or no tag)

So confused and getting analysis paralysis Help me please!

Your bulleted questions:

1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes and they can all be full priced tags
4. Yes

1) Yes, you can buy a general tag over the counter.
2) No, you cannot.
3) Yes, but only one valid for a bull (type 1, 2, 9 or general tag).
4) Yes.

Edit, I was posting at the same time as Buzz. See above.

Last edited:
I've read as much as I can find on the WY game and fish site, still confused, possibly by word of mouth vs what I've read or not been able to verify!

Wife and I are now residents for tags! That's the good news. I've figured out what we want to do for pronghorn and deer, elk is boggling my mind!

Setup: Where we are, "close" units there are 3-4 General units (including where I live!) and several units in the Bighorns that are not general, but I'd a range of chance from decent to poor on drawing a type 1 tag (any elk, shorter season), but 100% on type 4 (long season cow) or 100% on type 6 (shorter season, cow). So other than a few dollars, I think type-6 is not a good option.

Then toss in General tag and open questions about that, and my head is spinning. I was supposed to pick a local friends brain on tag strategy, but COVID killed that, though I still may have that chance.

What I need some help with is answers and strategy options! Wife and I are new to elk hunting (had type-6 NR cow tags in a general unit last year and saw noting but people and tents).

My initial thought is to go type-1 for me and type-4 for her in a the nearest not general unit. 25% draw for me, 100% for her. I was thinking of type 1 as first choice, 4 as second, but second choice type 4 has a 1% draw! type 6 has 100% but short season.

Honestly we will both shoot any legal elk and would be happy with a cow, but the back of my mind is thinking I will end up calling in bulls if we both have cow tags :). We both will start in archery and swap to rifle as needed in October.

General questions I can't find answers to:
- I've heard as a resident I can get General tag OTC at any time, is that true?
- I've heard I can "trade" a full priced tag in for another, is that true? Friend told me last year he had a General tag, then traded it for a type-4 in the general unit so he could hunt through December?
- I think I understand that I can have 3 elk tags (can't imagine filling them!), but only 1 full priced?
- Do residents get to declare a "party" in the draw (we did that last year to make sure we got the same tag or no tag)

So confused and getting analysis paralysis Help me please!
1) as a resident you can buy otc general anytime once the draw is over
2)not sure about the trade in for another tag, if there are leftover type 4s this may work
3)1 full price, 1 reduced cow calf in the draw , 1 from leftovers only
4) yes you can party as a resident

If I were you I would apply as a party for the type 1 license as your first choice and type 4 as your second choice. If you don't draw the type 1, then buy a general license (regardless whether you draw the type 4 as your second choice). Also apply for the type 6 as a party, which is a separate application than the full price.

As for the other questions, looks like they have already been answered sufficiently.

I'm a bit confused as to why a Type 6 isn't a good option? That is a complete separate draw and has zero effect on whether you draw a Type 1 or Type 4 tag. For $43.00 it seems like a no-brainer.

WY G&F General Hunting Regulations (Chapter 2), section 4 (e) describes how many and what kinds and elk licenses you can get. Easy to find if you google it.

I'm a bit confused as to why a Type 6 isn't a good option? That is a complete separate draw and has zero effect on whether you draw a Type 1 or Type 4 tag. For $43.00 it seems like a no-brainer.
My thought was the price is close, and type 4 gives me until Dec 31, where type 4 closed Nov 5, at least in the areas I am looking at. I guess I could go after type 6 if I don't get type 1 or 4.

Bob most Type 6 will sell out in the draw if there is access for them. Type 4 usually are much easier to draw and some years have leftovers.
You need to decide apply for a type 1 or 4 first choice and maybe the Type 6 as a reduced price cow tag draw. You can apply for the reduced price tag and the full price tag in first draw.
As a resident now you can hunt any general area you wish after you buy a general tag.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back