Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Elkgunner’s African Safari at last!

Lochi

Hey
elkgrin.gif
, this thread is now well over a year old, and called "Talking about African hunt ...."
http://www.huntandlodge.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000057
It is all about the boss of this forum talking about hunting in Afrika. He is actually quite good at that – talking I mean, not hunting.

I have been promoting myself unsuccessfully with you on this here same said bulletin board for about 3 years now. :mad: Yet you still refuse to believe how wonderful I am (insert Instant Graemlin "humble")
Elkgunner is now taking the leap into the uncertainty on behalf of all your members, who will watch him every step of the way. He had stopped the talking, will now be hunting. He is going on safari to the Dark Continent with an unknown, new-on-the-block, part-time little outfitter. Now if that’s not braving it, what is?
We shall be hunting for 3 days, then game viewing and sightseeing and varminting for another 6 days.
This will be the acid test for Lochi’s little outfit – big mouth (Lochi, not Elkgunner) – we’ll see what comes from this lot.

(BTW I guaranteed him a record book bear on day one.)

Watch this space.
Lochi.
footinmouth.gif

Lochi.... Gunner is my Hunting Buddy, Friend, and Neighbor, Who do you think twisted his Arm to go with you ?!??!

It's not that I don't want too.. I jsut don't have his kind of money :D

Lochi,

The only way I can afford to go hunt with you is to use all the money I get from charging Moosie to hunt with me ;) , so in a way, Moosie is paying for an African hunt... :D

Yeppers, just about a week until we (GirlGunner and I) head to the Airport to go visit the Dark Continent and Lochi. About 15 months ago, I went to the Sportsman's show in Boise and looked at all the African brochures with my daughters, and my oldest noticed that "non-hunters" can go to Africa. Well, since she owns the most beautiful Brown Eyes in all the world, I could not tell her no. So we made a deal, all A's on her report card thru 5th grade, and we would go.

And is she ever psyched to go now. She got her first goose last Thanksgiving, and now she is ready for African game.

Lochi has been incredibly honest and upfront on everything to date. He has laid out what his expectations are and challenged me to explain my expectations. He has asked tons of questions of me, and I have full confidence that I am going to hunt with my next best friend. :cool:

I talked to a few other PH's, and a booking agent, and I think Lochi has the right approach. He asks you what you want to do, and offers suggestions. The rest of them TELL you what you will do, and provide you with the limitations.

It will be an adventure of a lifetime, and a great opportunity to celebrate the end of grade school for GirlGunner.

I just went and dumped a ton of money on a new Digital Camera, so there will likely be plenty of pictures on the hunt. I'll see what Lochi and I can arrange for posting the pictures and some updates.

Come along for the ride, if you want!!! :cool:

since she owns the most beautiful Brown Eyes in all the world

Funny, I remember not two weeks ago we were bored out of our minds and sitting in the cabin and you told me this very same thing. You LIAR!

I just went and dumped a ton of money on a new Digital Camera, so there will likely be plenty of pictures on the hunt. I'll see what Lochi and I can arrange for posting the pictures and some updates.

So should we all be excited about finally seeing what the Gunner looks like on the net, or should we be on the edge of our seats waiting to see what face shielding poses or Jack in the Box heads you'll be sporting in Africa? Regardless, you and GirlGunner have fun. I'm so excited for you two (as long as you tell her I have the most beautiful brown eyes you have ever seen...she can be second beautiful though).

Good luck and have fun!!!

Is the new digi a SLR?? If so, I'm ALL EARS on how you like it.

Gunner, where are you going? What animals? How long? Touring any parks? Guns? Ammo? Why did you keep us in the dark on this one???

I'm going to RSA next summer, unless I want to forfit the deposite
Gona chase after the big antelope kudu, waterbuck, gemsbuck, bushbuck, elend etc... in the northern province along the limpopo river... 10 days of hunting then 3 days of touring Kruger and back home... It's going to be one of many trips of a lifetime I hope ;)

You're going to have a great time, nothing like spending time with your family and huting at the same time... Good luck and post some pics when you get back. I get sick of looking at scragly little whitetails, muleys, tiny ass bears, and all those dink elk Greenhorn shoots...

Gee Elkgunner, thanx for those kind words, hope I can perform up to that spec!
I can’t afford a digital camera, but my kids seem to! I’ll borrow my daughter’s, so between the 2 digitals we can post pictures every time we get close to a phone line. That way Elkgunner’s hunting buddies, friends, neighbors, arm-twisters :D and the Hunt Talk members can follow the proceedings blow by blow.
Moosie, I’ll forgive you this one more time, based on your argument of financial undersupply. I don’t quite believe you (cause all Americans are rich Dollar-bearing tycoons that should be milked by African outfitters), but I know the feeling of a Rand drought so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Lochi.

Good luck Gunner and Lochi. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime.What an experience for girlgunner too and congrats on the straight A's.
:cool:

Elkgunner,

I can tell you this, based on my Safari, you WILL be going back. There is no doubt about it. Start saving, you're going back.

BTW, good luck, be well and return safe.

Don

EG, I hope all goes to your expectations and more. It is fantastic that GirlGunner is going with you. (I couldnt imagine going to Africa without one of my boys going along also ;) )

Have fun and be safe

Hey Nut,

I love doing this kind of stuff with my kids. I just have to figure it makes life easier for them, if they have already seen part of life. Hopefully it helps them with the confidence in all parts of life.

Right now GirlGunner is driving me crazy, bouncing off the walls, trying to get me to get my stuff packed, as she is about done on hers. I am a procrastinator by nature, and she is an organizer by nature. She is WOUND up for this trip.

Shaky,
Thanks for the comments, and I was trying to view some pics from Big Bullet, but I didn't sign in on your forum. Can you link them to a topic over here???

Bambi,
I kind of thought of this as my Intro to Africa trip, and we are doing about 1/2 hunting and 1/2 touring. I wanted to expose my daughter to some of the history/culture/people of S. Africa, as the history is pretty rich. The game on the list is fairly modest, with Gemsbok being the "big antelope", and Zebra being the "interior decorating" item. Beyond that it is Springbok for GirlGunner, and then we will see what Lochi is good at convincing me to Hunt.

I have 2 256meg Flash Cards for the Digital Camera, and am taking the Laptop, so I can upload every day or so to the hard disk. If I come back with 500 pictures, I will be happy. Anything for the wall will be a bonus.

RSA is kind of funny. I had a guy call me today and wanted to know if I was interested in a Sheep Hunt in Alaska for $10K and Moose for $2k extra. And I thought no way, I would prefer taking both of my daughters to RSA, and have money left over.

Guys, RSA is affordable, and it sure seems like one of the reasonable "dreams" to chase.

More posts to follow.....

then we will see what Lochi is good at convincing me to Hunt

Black Death! Black Death! Black Death!

I have 2 256meg Flash Cards for the Digital Camera, and am taking the Laptop, so I can upload every day or so to the hard disk. If I come back with 500 pictures, I will be happy. Anything for the wall will be a bonus.

How many will you upload to the site on a daily basis? Hope you're getting lots of practice with the camera now so you'll get some awesome pics.

I had a guy call me today and wanted to know if I was interested in a Sheep Hunt in Alaska for $10K and Moose for $2k extra.

I could do you one better than that ;)

Ann took two 256meg cards to Italy and had plenty of room for any pics she wanted to take, but our camera is only a 4mp model.

I realize that RSA is affordable, but I'm thinking maybe I should be trying to do the physical hunts while I'm young and save the 'posh' safari trips for when I'm old like you!! ;)

Elkgunner

I caught a 10" Grayling. Trying to get back out tonight and fish for Kings up on the Parks Hwy.

I'm thinking maybe I should be trying to do the physical hunts while I'm young and save the 'posh' safari trips for when I'm old like you!!

Lots of "old" man remarks lately. Do you feel old EG?

1-pTR,

The new camera is the KonicaMinolta Dimage A2, 8Megapixel. At the "Extra Fine" setting, I get 31 pictures per 256 card. I am also taking my laptop, so I can upload the cards, and not worry. If I can bring back 500+ pictures, I will. Let my "grandchildren" sort them out....

Ovis,
You had better luck catching Crabs in Alaska...

Heading to the Airport in 1 hour!!!

JoBurg weather

Today
Jun 10 Sunny 59°/39° 0 %

Fri
Jun 11 Sunny 59°/38° 0 %

Sat
Jun 12 Sunny 59°/38° 0 %

Sun
Jun 13 Sunny 62°/39° 0 %

Mon
Jun 14 Sunny 63°/40° 0 %

Tue
Jun 15 Sunny 64°/40° 10 %

Wed
Jun 16 Sunny 64°/41° 0 %

Thu
Jun 17 Sunny 66°/40° 0 %

Fri
Jun 18 Sunny 65°/39° 0 %

Sat
Jun 19 Sunny 63°/37° 0

Have a good one! I'll try to make it up to the 'trailer' for a first hand account later this summer!

It is now Friday afternoon 2 pm RSA time. Gunner is in Frankfurt right now. I am picking him up in Joburg tomorrow morning.
If he behaves well, I shall not confiscate his passport and feed him to the car jackers.
I'll make certain he posts frequently.
Watch this space.
Lochi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back