Caribou Gear

Elk Tip Steak Recipes?

ShootsManyBullets

Anyone have a good recipe for elk tip steaks?

They're really big cuts like as large as a big pancake and pretty thick. I'm considering soaking them in something with a vinegar and balsamic type marinade to break them down just a little.
After that possibly some cold smoke then sear them up.

If anyone has a good suggestion I'm all ears.

Equal parts oil and apple cider vinegar then put in seasoning to taste just some salt and pepper good if you like and let it marinade a night or two. If your steaks are more than an inch thick I would butterfly them. Set your grill medium high let it warm up then throw them on season with salt and pepper and cook no more than medium rare the more you cook your meat the suffer it will be. Then let her sit a few min before eating. Sorry that was so long for a steak but I love cooking and i feel the hardest thing to cook with wild game is steak

Cube up the steaks into bite size pieces and season to taste. (For me Pepper, Salt, Garlic, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage,) Place in the fridge overnight.

Get out a big frying pan or skillet

Slice onions and mushrooms toss with a little EVOO and season to taste
Have your tips out and get around room temp
Make some Au jus I just use the packet form ( 2 packets)

Put a little oil in the pan and crank the heat
Add the meat and your mushrooms and onions
Keep tossing them so they do not burn
Once almost cooked (3-6 mins) hit it with a little red wine while still on high heat
Let the wine reduce to almost nothing
While still on high hit it with the au jus let that reduce down to make a gravy slowly reducing heat
Lastly throw a tab or two of butter in it

Works really well with grouse as well.

Brush the outside with peanut oil, then cover liberally with course salt and pepper, maybe add some garlic powder or something if you like. Sear on all sides in a hot skillet with a touch more peanut oil. Then put it on a roasting rack in the oven on 300-350 and let it go until your internal temp hits 125-135 depending on how rare you would like it. Then pull it out, let it rest for 5-10 minutes, slice and serve!

Consider a dairy marinade if you want to tendering the meat. An acid marinade ultimately makes the meat tougher and strip it of moisture if it sits for too long or the concentration is too high.

Consider a dairy marinade if you want to tendering the meat.
Yes, if it is tough and a little gamey, soak it in buttermilk overnight. Remove from dairy bath, coat with salt, pepper, other favorite spices and grill, fry, or roast for a tender steak.

Consider a dairy marinade if you want to tendering the meat. An acid marinade ultimately makes the meat tougher and strip it of moisture if it sits for too long or the concentration is too high.

I did not know this. Learn something new every day :)

I did not know this. Learn something new every day :)

Science!

Seriously though one of the things I've been looking into a lot lately is the chemistry of cooking. I've always known about acid as I make a lot of ceviche, and it can be a great marinade, it just needs to be used correctly.

Dairy, is well known, we just don't associate it with tenderizing.....buttermilk fried chicken for example. In India, yogurt is widely used to tenderize meat (much of it mutton) and has been a staple in their diets for centuries.

I agree cooking is much of a science as it is an art. Being a chef for 5 years gave me the ability to try new things. Some times they do not work and others do. For me trying to pair two polar opposites is fun. I have slowly began using a vacuum sealer to infuse flavors.

Modern cooking today is completely different than it was just even a decade ago. But one thing is for sure grandma's recipes will always stand the test of time.

Great thread. Sounds like ya have some thick cut beauties?, might cut em up or butterfly, and do something different with each from recommendations above?
-
I am doing some elk burger tonight - if you have some try this:
1 lb ground elk
3 dashes of Apothic Red wine
couple tablespoons of bread crumbs
15-20 twists of ground black peppa
a bit of garlic salt
some red pepper flakes
and wa la
i will let ya know what I think.

Re the chemistry of cooking......I love Alton Brown and his "Good Eats" show that (used to be?) on The Food Network network. He invariably snuck some chemistry into the topic at hand.

Nothing special, but what I do with 90% of my elk for the last 10 years:

Pull from the freezer, place in fridge to thaw
Pat down and dry off
Montreal seasoning rub, maybe a few other spices you like (garlic, pepper)
Place in ziplock bag
a little bit of olive oil and some worcestershire sauce
Leave in fridge for a day
Place on grill and don't overcook OR cook in cast iron skillet

YUM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back