It's officially off-season--- Let's talk ideal load densities

Nosler load data provides load density info. It's all over the map in terms of the density of their most accurate powder tested.

I like my density to be right in that 90-105% range. I had some loads worked up in my 7mm08 that would crunch so bad I wondered if they'd work their way back out. It never happened but I hated having to mess with drop tubs and big kernels that bridged.

I might have to get over my distaste with Hornady. It all started when they sent me a bullet chart and a sticker that said "Get Loaded" on it.
I wrote an old fashioned snail mail letter to their VP of Marketing asking WTF came up with a slogan that equates excessive alcohol consumption with handloading.
He sent a snail mail reply claiming that I am the only negative response he ever received from the campaign. From his tone, he should just as well have addressed the letter to, "Dear Karen".

For now, I'm still, "F Hornady. "
I remember when they did that. never occured to me someone could relate that do drinking. They don't sell booze! They sell handloading supplies! Your not an alcholic are you?

I like my density to be right in that 90-105% range. I had some loads worked up in my 7mm08 that would crunch so bad I wondered if they'd work their way back out. It never happened but I hated having to mess with drop tubs and big kernels that bridged.
Load density, now I get it. I like to load to between 80%+ but never over 100%. Then too I think thet was intended to consider 100% to the base of the neck. I'm pretty sure you already know this but if your using sticck powder and density goes over 100%, hold the case rpright and tap the side with a pencil. You can watch the powder settle. Onr problem with over 100% is as you said, possibly pushing the bullet back out. I thinf that may be a quality with mostly ball powder. With the 105% density before settleing the powder I'm thinking the bullet seating probably breaks some kernals when the bullet seats and elminate the problem. Ball powder on the other hand has no where to settle to and I'd think it might push the bullet back out.

Got to admit here. I said I like 80%+ density but thats simply a guess. I have no idea how to tell where 80% is! My 80% is simply a guess that works maybe for no other reason than I seat bullet's to the base of the neck and no powder above that point. That I can see.

Used to be said, maybe still is, if your pushing powder down with the bullet, the powder is to slow!

While not reloading as long as @44hunter45, i've run accross some things.

The whole 85% fill ratio/density, came about for larger volume cases.
Cases like 7mm Rem Mag & 300 Win Mag.
Too low of a density and you get wierd pressure spikes, that can be dangerous.
And recoil can/will kick like a max charge, but with a sharper impulse.

Even cases such as the 7mm-08 are not immune.

Typically with QL & manuals if they list it, i try for 100% burn and density between 80-104%.

More than 104% and you need to crimp as the powder will push the bullet out of the neck.
happened to me many years ago with a 7mm mag. Wife sized some case's for me while at work and over lubed them, chrushed the shoulder's. I loaded up some bullet's a bit under min load to shoot out the shoulder's. Worked too but recoil was way up! Found out later that had I pointed the barrel up tha would not have happened so having a few left I tried it, works. Seem's I was told the reason for that was the powder was not up against the flash hole and it was believed the spark jumped the powder and burned front to back. I can't see how that could happen but have never left a powder charge not against the flash hole again and it has never happened again. Loading case bullets in handgun's and rifles if there is not enough powder to cover the flash hole with powder, I insert a quarter sheet of toilet paper in the case to hold the paper back. Don't know that it's neeses with fast powders but doesn't hurt anything either.

I remember when they did that. never occured to me someone could relate that do drinking. They don't sell booze! They sell handloading supplies! Your not an alcholic are you?
I can say with Mr Churchill, " In the morning I will be completely sober."
Used to be said, maybe still is, if your pushing powder down with the bullet, the powder is to slow!
I've used drop tubes with good success. If I have my Turbo Tumbler running, I just touch them to the side of it.

I had not heard this quote before, I like it.
happened to me many years ago with a 7mm mag. Wife sized some case's for me while at work and over lubed them, chrushed the shoulder's. I loaded up some bullet's a bit under min load to shoot out the shoulder's. Worked too but recoil was way up! Found out later that had I pointed the barrel up tha would not have happened so having a few left I tried it, works. Seem's I was told the reason for that was the powder was not up against the flash hole and it was believed the spark jumped the powder and burned front to back. I can't see how that could happen but have never left a powder charge not against the flash hole again and it has never happened again. Loading case bullets in handgun's and rifles if there is not enough powder to cover the flash hole with powder, I insert a quarter sheet of toilet paper in the case to hold the paper back. Don't know that it's neeses with fast powders but doesn't hurt anything either.
I've never had a flashover. I tried to blow up guns the old fashioned way a time or two when I was young and dumb.

I always use pillow kapok filler when I fireform and it works great.

Last edited:
I cannot remember offhand whom invented it.
But i do remember reading in my Cartridges of the World that someone developed a cartridge with a flash tube installed in the casing.
Intent was to burn the powder from the top, downwards. Thus keeping the expanding gasses from pushing unburnt powder down the barrel.

I cannot remember offhand whom invented it.
But i do remember reading in my Cartridges of the World that someone developed a cartridge with a flash tube installed in the casing.
Intent was to burn the powder from the top, downwards. Thus keeping the expanding gasses from pushing unburnt powder down the barrel.
It was Gibbs.

Are you rebarreling due to accuracy/velocity loss or just on what you’re seeing with your borescope?
Actually not rebarreling that rifle yet. It's a stainless .264 WM. Still shoots ok, just scary looking in the throat. After the debts are paid, it will be next in line. I may take it to 1 in 8. Not sure yet. Definitely want a longer barrel. Maybe even 27"

Rebarrels in the pipeline:
#1 Mauser M96 gets the military barrel changed out for a #2 contour with 1 in 7 1/2. Stays a 6.5x55mm. It will get fed Hammers, Hornady 160 RN, Norma 156 Vulkans and Oryx.
I'm having a bunch of action work done on this one and wanted a 26" Kreiger CM on it. Trued up, new bottom metal, dead soft anneal and heat-treatment, 3 Pos Safety, trigger, etc.
Deep blue and a AAAA Maple stock. Granddaughter wants a mannlicher stock, but I'm not sure about that with a 26" tube on it. I will probably give her what she wants, then bed it in a glass stock for field use.

#2 Mauser M98 getting same treatment as above. Coming back to me with a 1 in 11 a 26" Kreiger CM chambered in 35 Whelen. It will get Cerakoted and put in a Hogue overmold stock.

#3 M70 Classic Stainless in 7MM RM will be reborn as a 358 Norma Magnum. I haven't ordered this barrel yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back