Elk tenderloin!!

Chucknduck

In the past I've just cut tenderloin and back straps into medallions and grilled them. This year I left them in longer sections so I can grill them whole and slice before serving. Had some tenderloin tonight and it was Awsome. Not dry like they get if you cut them first. I seasoned with salt pepper and olive oil. Put it on the pellet grill till it hit 130 internal temp and let rest for 5 min. Wish I would have taken a pic. I'll never do them the old way again.

I Smoked some whole, after seasoning and putting in the fridge for a day or 2. They pretty much melt in your mouth. I Agree on never cutting them up again!

I've done them both ways. If you slice them into medallions either 1) Leave them really thick or 2) Don't cook them more than about two minutes per side.

I more often than not leave them whole and do a brown sugar/cracked pepper rub on them with some olive oil and garlic.

Yep, I stopped cutting them a few years ago. What I will do sometimes is butterfly the tenderloin along the full length of it and stuff the cut with seasoning. Then, I sear the cut shut and then do a low and slow cook.

When I butcher the animal I cut each backstrap in 4 whole sections. I season both sides with garlic salt, black pepper, and a cajun seasoning and let come to room temperature. I rarely grill them anymore because I prefer to sear them in a cast iron skillet with butter for about 3 minutes a side. I finish the loin in a 350 degree oven to rare/medium rare. Melts in your mouth is a understatement!

Great thread - I also don't butterfly the backstrap anymore - unless I'm cutting for family / friends that want it done.

I've been doing the "reverse sear" for a while now. Basically, roast / smoke before doing the sear. I really like doing it this way. Here is one article on it Reverse Sear.

How high was the heat on the pellet grille? I've got a few big pieces sitting in the freezer that are just waiting for a warmer day so I don't go through a ton of pellets.

I have a big section of Antelope back strap in the fridge the past 3 days, getting ready for tonight!

I am going to put it in the smoker when I get home.

Some great ideas here

How high was the heat on the pellet grille? I've got a few big pieces sitting in the freezer that are just waiting for a warmer day so I don't go through a ton of pellets.

I did em at about 400. Took about 20 min to get to temp.
If I would have had more time I would have tried the reverse sear. To do reverse sear I smoke at 225 till I'm about 10 degrees below my temp. Then I crank it up and wear them over open flame.

I seared some venison backstraps last night on the pellet grill. I fire mine hot AF for a couple minutes a side and let them cool off. My pellet grill has the direct heat option so I get a seared smokey mouthful of awesomeness. Most of it never actually makes it to my plate or the dinner table b/c I eat it before it gets there.

I'm thinking that I'll keep larger cuts next season and use some of the ideas here. Only way to mess it up is overcooking.

One of our friends gave us some elk meat, and when I unwrapped it it had been sliced into thin strips - but not run through the cuber. I never could understand why they always had it fully cut up by their processor, my buddy says his uncle always had it done that way because "there aren't many ways to cook it". That, too me sounds like a guy without any imagination, but I digress. My philosophy is if I want to cut it later, that's fine, but I can't uncut it if I decide I want the whole cut of meat to grill, smoke or roast. With a piece cut up like that there are only so many things one can do with it, whereas a whole piece you have a lot of options.

On the backstrap note: I had a few deer this year that I had the back straps made into bone-in chops. LOVE them. Now I pretty much alternate between a full strap and having chops made. I bet an elk back strap would make nice big chops too...might have to try that!

To the OP: I love your screen name...you must have read "The Reasonable Art of Fly Fishing" by Terry Mort, am I right?

Last edited:
Yum!
Yeah. Leave them long .......like my Johnson (Top Gun one liner)
Always pack straps separate bag, and cut them up yourself.
I believe antelope loins and straps are best, but all are very delicious.

Never heard of reverse sear. Cool.

All about the dry rubs. Just tried this one :
4 -6 teaspoons salt (depending on taste)
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
The coriander and turmeric were a new addition to the normal repetoire, but a great addition. More often than not i go with the cast iron and real butter for my wild game needs. Always a crowd pleaser. Like was already mentioned, quick sear on the medalions.

Best of luck!

I like to use a dry rub and then vacuum seal the piece of meat for a couple of days. I find that it help the flavor penetrate the meat better. Then I take it out of the package a couple of hours before I want to grill it to let it get to room temperature before cooking.

Last edited:
I like to wrap in bacon and bake in oven. About a hour at 350 for half a strap. Once its about done turn on broil for 5 mins to crisp bacon up.

I like to wrap in bacon and bake in oven. About a hour at 350 for half a strap. Once its about done turn on broil for 5 mins to crisp bacon up.

I cooked some Elk tenderloin on the grill last night, and it was the best I have had. I cut it into three inch pieces, and seasoned with "Tony Chacherie's Cajun Seasoning". Then wrapped each piece in a slice of bacon held in place with a toothpick. Grilled each piece on the grill for about 3 minutes each side. Moist, tender, and tasted great.

take a hole backstrap open it up the long way fork tenderize then pound it even more flat fill it with some cooked spinach pine nuts and Provolone season it up your way good eatin

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back