Rotisserie Venison Hind Quarter

Steiny77

So I've got a nice hind quarter (minus lower leg / shank) in the freezer from a nice whitetail doe to do on the rotisserie in a couple days.
Here's my plan:
  • After thawed, poke holes in the thick areas and insert cloves of garlic.
  • Rub the thing down with olive oil, rosemary, garlic and a few other spices.
  • Wrap the entire thing with bacon, held in place with butchers string & toothpicks.
  • Another dusting of spices on outside of the bacon wrap.
  • On the rotisserie spit in my Weber kettle low and slow until 120F internal temp.
  • Take off & rest 30 minutes or so before slicing.
  • Slice thin taking care to cross cut the muscles.
  • Serve with a little beef broth & onion au juice.
Would welcome feedback from others that have done one.

Sounds delicious! I haven’t done this before but I am looking forward to the “after” photos!

I’m not a fan of wrapping in bacon, but I like the bark that forms without it. Sounds like a great plan though. I’ve done big roasts on the Traeger and they are fantastic.
I like to wrap mine in foil towards finish(after i get crust i want) and sometime i will add a few gobbs of bacon grease to the wrap along with couple ice cubes (juice works good to). Wrapping in bacon to me doesnt transfer as well as i want to. The foil finish and ultimately cooling seems to retain moisture better in lean meats.

I’ve never done it but I wonder if basting with bacon grease would yield a better result.

Spritzing with apple juice, coke, Dr Pepper during cooking will also make a nice outer crust. The sugar carmelizes nicely.

If you’re open to another cooking option I HIGHLY recommend the ‘flip flop’ for a hind quarter. It’s sincerely one of if not THE best way I’ve ever eaten wild game.

I’ve never done it but I wonder if basting with bacon grease would yield a better result.

Spritzing with apple juice, coke, Dr Pepper during cooking will also make a nice outer crust. The sugar carmelizes nicely.
Alot of people will coat a piece of meat with tallow, or add tallow on top of the meat before wrapping, don't see why bacon grease wouldn't be a good thing. It works wonders on eggs.

I am not an expert. What made you choose 120F? Sounds slightly low (to me) I thought you would want to end up at 125/130. I may be wrong. Perhaps it will continue to heat into the interior for 1st few minutes of resting? Looking to learn here, never used this method. Let us know how it turns out!

If you’re open to another cooking option I HIGHLY recommend the ‘flip flop’ for a hind quarter. It’s sincerely one of if not THE best way I’ve ever eaten wild game.

Man that looks good!

A buddy and I did something similar over an open fire. We used lump charcoal to be able to manage the heat a little easier. I tied up the ham portion of the quarter with butcher string just to give it a more uniform shape to cook evenly. We didn't wrap in bacon but did baste with melted butter and inserted garlic slivers.. We used a rosemary sprig as a brush to make ourselves feel sophisticated. He forged the spit and we manually rotated it every 15 minutes or so. Just a bunch of guys standing around the fire drinking and watching one guy do all the work. As the meat on the outside was done we shaved it off and ate it as is. It turned out well, I'd definitely do it again.

20210109_124029.jpg

Last edited:
I am not an expert. What made you choose 120F? Sounds slightly low (to me) I thought you would want to end up at 125/130. I may be wrong. Perhaps it will continue to heat into the interior for 1st few minutes of resting? Looking to learn here, never used this method. Let us know how it turns out!
Typically, if you take a chunk of meat off the heat and let it rest it will climb another 10 degrees or so.

I use Hank Shaws corned venison brine recipe minus the curing/pink salt. I find myself going between that and marinating in Claude's BBQ brisket marinade.
So just soak, or inject as well?

So just soak, or inject as well?
Just soak 12-24 hours in the brine 4-8 for the marinade. I've injected quite a bit of game from bison brisket, hinds, shoulders, loins and more. IMO something about the leaness of the meat dosen't allow it to blend in with the meat and instead of complementing the meat the injection over powers it unlike a pork shoulder or fatty beef brisket.

I like to wrap mine in foil towards finish(after i get crust i want) and sometime i will add a few gobbs of bacon grease to the wrap along with couple ice cubes (juice works good to). Wrapping in bacon to me doesnt transfer as well as i want to. The foil finish and ultimately cooling seems to retain moisture better in lean meats.
After reading all of this and discussions with my whiskey consultants, we have elected to forego the bacon wrap in fear it will flame up.
I like the idea of basting, letting it get a nice "bark", then wrap in foil.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back