Elk Stank Question

pablodiablo

Hello, I am 0-4 on self guided elk hunts but still trying to connect the dots. My last hunt was a rifle cow tag in WY 24. Talking to other hunters, they said they were seeing elk in the timber and that a still hunt may be a good strategy. I'm not super skilled at this but gave it a go.

As I was working my way through, I suddenly hit a super sour elk smell that was as strong as any kitchen or bathroom smell at home. I froze. I couldnt see it but the smell was strong. Two minutes later,still frozen, I heard what was something large running away and I never got a look at it.

To help me learn more about what happened, I had a couple questions: how close do you think you can normally smell an elk? Does the strong smell indicate bull vs cow or do they both have a strong aroma? To the skilled/experienced people can you smell a cow from a bull? Is this rare or common in still hunting (ie to smell em before you ever see em)?

Thanks and have a nice weekend, Paul

All elk smell. And smell good, haha. I can't tell the difference between a bull and cow, but I can tell you cows definitely smell too. In addition to how close the elk are, the strength of the smell will depend on how many elk there are in the group, and how strong the wind is. A few years ago, hunting late season cows, in a strong wind, I caught the smell of elk. I looked upwind and spotted a small herd probably 500+ yards away. This past year, also in a strong wind, I kept catching the faint smell of elk coming from an area I had just been. Seemed weird, but after further investigation I found a dead cow elk someone had shot earlier that season.

Hello, I am 0-4 on self guided elk hunts but still trying to connect the dots. My last hunt was a rifle cow tag in WY 24. Talking to other hunters, they said they were seeing elk in the timber and that a still hunt may be a good strategy. I'm not super skilled at this but gave it a go.

As I was working my way through, I suddenly hit a super sour elk smell that was as strong as any kitchen or bathroom smell at home. I froze. I couldnt see it but the smell was strong. Two minutes later,still frozen, I heard what was something large running away and I never got a look at it.

To help me learn more about what happened, I had a couple questions: how close do you think you can normally smell an elk? Does the strong smell indicate bull vs cow or do they both have a strong aroma? To the skilled/experienced people can you smell a cow from a bull? Is this rare or common in still hunting (ie to smell em before you ever see em)?

Thanks and have a nice weekend, Paul
The smell was probably a bull. When you urinate all over yourself for 6 weeks you tend to get a pretty strong order. Smelling them is pretty common when you "get in the elk". Cow elk don't smell as much. Better hygiene probably. My guess on "smelling distance" is about 50yds, but depends on a lot of things. There have been a couple of times when hunting when I run into cattle and elk on the same hunt. There is a difference in smell, but it is subtle.

The smell was probably a bull. When you urinate all over yourself for 6 weeks you tend to get a pretty strong order. Smelling them is pretty common when you "get in the elk". Cow elk don't smell as much. Better hygiene probably. My guess on "smelling distance" is about 50yds, but depends on a lot of things. There have been a couple of times when hunting when I run into cattle and elk on the same hunt. There is a difference in smell, but it is subtle.
Pretty much my thoughts.

Smelling elk isn't really a tactic I use to find them. And I grew up with cattle. The odor difference is in no way subtle. mtmuley

In my experience when I smell elk the source is definitely close enough that something is about to happen, or I am very close to a bedding area. Sometimes it is right after I hear a stick snap.

Thanks ! Lots of good replies here. SInce I smelled him/her and heard him/her I know I was close to it but my hearing isnt great and I couldnt gauge how close or far I was.

I grew up in WI around cattle and it didnt smell like that, it was more sour and musky i would say. On the other hand, this unit did have cattle and wild horses, and since i never actually saw the thing, I suppose it could've been one of those too.

The bottom line is you spooked it. You shouldn't if you're moving slow enough and quiet enough. That should be your take from what happened.

I didn't grow up on a ranch. They smell like cattle to me. There's no cattle where I hunt, so I always figure it's elk i'm smelling.

Well, he never saw the elk so I assume the elk didn't see him. Although that's not a given. If the elk didn't hear you, see you, or smell you. Why would it spook?
I’m sure he did spook it. My point was that sneaking up on elk is not always easy.

Lie at least one mentioned above, you will get into bedding areas or an area a herd moved through and you will smell them as well. Mainly from the puddles of piss in the ground, depending on moisture and dirt. I grew up stalking the thick woods for blacktail. The biggest thing that will help you is using glass. not like scanning hillsides but to look through the woods and pick out a leg, ear, horn, etc. I have stalked to within throwing distance to a lot of animals over the years, many i didn't know where even there. slow and steady, use the wind and your senses. An elk will be way more patient than you think as long as it cant smell you. I have picked them out just standing watching me inside 100yds. or you might see one then as you scan see the rest of the herd bedded. Its not my prefered way to hunt elk but it can work.

The bottom line is you spooked it. You shouldn't if you're moving slow enough and quiet enough. That should be your take from what happened.

I didn't grow up on a ranch. They smell like cattle to me. There's no cattle where I hunt, so I always figure it's elk i'm smelling.
You are right. I am still working on my still hunt skills. Lessons learned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back