Elk Roast

One packet of instant au jus, and enough horseradish to to kill a small cat. Mix together to form a paste and coat the roast, wrap in foil and gril until medium rare, or roast in the oven.

Coat with Montreal Steak Seasoning, and olive oil... sear all sides on the grill, wrap in foil and finsh until medium rare.

The last is my favorite, I cut the roast into 'steaks'. Combine the following, its a variation of Mongolian beef... Some of the ingredients are a little wierd, but you can find them if you look in the asian section. Matter of fact I think I'll cook up a moose roast tonight... :)

1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tbls minced ginger
1/4 cup grape seed oil
1/2 cup rice wine
6-8 juniper berries, crushed
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbls hot mustard
1 tbls black bean paste

combine all ingrediants in a bowl, Seperate 1/4 of the mix and set aside, use the rest as a marinade (soak for 4-8 hours). Grill to medium rare. use the seperated mix to saute mixed vegitables.

We like to cover them with our favorite brisket rub, wrap it in bacon, and slow smoke depending on the size of the roast. Makes me hungry and my freezer is empty!

Throw it in the crock pot overnight with some beef boullion and garlic salt. Cook on slow for at least 12 hours. Goes great with some mashed potatoes and green beens or a green salad.

Thanks guys.

Bambistew-
Be on the lookout for a one-armed bandit roaming your city any day now. If you see him say, "hi", he is my brother from POW.

Not yet! Last couple of years they won't start showing up until the crops come out. It will be interesting what shows up this fall, been seeing a few more every year. Don't know if I like how they are going about elk season this year.

Not yet! Last couple of years they won't start showing up until the crops come out. It will be interesting what shows up this fall, been seeing a few more every year. Don't know if I like how they are going about elk season this year.

I am trying to decide what to do this year. Last year I had a hunt-own-land cow tag and wouldn't you know I haven't seen the elk for over a year. Now muzzleloader season opened up yesterday(Sept 1st) and I can either get an either sex tag for $127.50 or a cow only for $52.50. I certainly donate tag money every year, but I don't have a money tree.

With the high moisture corn being cut, I would think that if there are any elk around they would be moving along with some big bucks. Won't be the same as shooting an elk in camp in the mountains, but would sure be satisfying to shoot an elk in Kansas.

I have seen a couple here in Ks that are alot bigger than the ones I've takin a lot farther away, but I wouldn't give up any of the elk hunts I've got to go on. Watching a couple really nice muleys out in the milo, but no good whitetails yet.

Nothing Fancy...Just cover in Pappys and grill indirect to rare. Let rest and come up to Med Rare.

IMG_Pappys%20Choice.JPG

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back