Elk Rib BBQ

Sapper.dawg

I saved as much of the rib cages off my elk as possible, as they had a fair bit of meat left on them, and I was trucking out - not packing out. I read an article about a family that had an elk rib BBQ every year, so I tried their method: simmer the ribs in water for a couple hours to break down the connective tissue, then smoke on the grill and glaze w BBQ sause.

I simmered the ribs for about two hours, and did not add any flavoring to the water.

I pulled them out, then seasoned them with Lotta Bull Red Dirt Rub and put them on the Weber kettle with Stubbs briquettes and hickory chunks to cook for about another hour.

I glazed them with Stubbs original BBQ sauce, and let them cook for another 15 minutes or so.

These were awesome. They were just as good as any beef rib I have done, and were not dry in the least. Any fat on them was gelatinized, and was not gamey at all. Here is a pic of my brother tearing into one:

Now I wish I had been able to save more of the ribs.

I've done elk ribs before and they were awesome. They do take a little more time and effort and work, but they are definitely worth it for something different when it comes to game meat.

Looks and sounds good. Thanks for sharing the cooking secret. Hope to use it later this year.

Those look great. I was just telling my wife yesterday while shopping for some ribs I should have saved the ribs from the cow elk I got last year.
Both of the cows I have gotten were a couple of miles from the nearest road so I just stripped the meat from between the ribs.

I've also read that simmering them in apple cider vinegar produces very good results. I usually end up making burger out of the rib meat.

They look good, I've done them before, but I wrap them in foil and put them in the oven for 4 hours at 250, then pull them out and grill them.

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully I will have some more to work with in about 5 months!

Rib meat turned to ground... my arse! Next elk down, I'm going to put some rib joints to shame!

they look awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Appreciate the comments, these ribs really exceeded all our expectations. One additional by-product is the water-turned-reduced elk broth. It is silky, and very good. I put three pints up in the freezer for making wild mushroom risotto with later this summer.

Those ribs look real meaty. Is that how much meat is left after you remove the backstrap and tenderloin?
If so I'm definatley going to try them.

Those ribs look real meaty. Is that how much meat is left after you remove the backstrap and tenderloin?
If so I'm definatley going to try them.

That's right. These would be equivalent to a beef short rib. I did trim off one layer of skirt meat to make stir fry strips with, but what you see is the pic is what was on the ribcage after complete butchering. These were the last portions I cut up prior to carcass disposal.

I had been thinking of saving some ribs this year from the grind....
That broth is gold Sapper! The ex got me into habit of saving it.

Elk Oso Bucco and short ribs along with those grilled babys this year!!

Elk Oso Bucco and short ribs along with those grilled babys this year!!

Osso Bucco was one of our favorite things to make with the shanks over the winter. I was thinking the other day, minus the steaks we have eaten from the bottom round I carved, we have only eaten the tradtionally "less desierable" parts: shanks, ribs, grind scraps etc. No roasts or tenderloins yet. I was determined to not let any portion of this elk go to waste, so I saved as much as possible.

Here is my osso bucco looked like getting browned in my dutch oven - note this a 6-qt for a size perspective.

The preparation is pretty simple:
1. Coat top and bottom of shank with seasoned flower and brown in olive oil.
2. Sauté a med white onion, 3-4 celery sticks, one bell pepper and some garlic until translucent.
3. Add browned shanks on this bed.
4. Add one can of stewed tomatoes.
5. Toss in your root veggies. I used carrots and turnips from my garden.
6. Fill with stock until level is about 1/4" from top of the shanks.
7. Put in 300 degree oven for about five hours.
8. I took the top off at hour four to let the liquid reduce a bit and thicken up.

We served this over cheese grits, but would equally good over rice.

That's right. These would be equivalent to a beef short rib. I did trim off one layer of skirt meat to make stir fry strips with, but what you see is the pic is what was on the ribcage after complete butchering. These were the last portions I cut up prior to carcass disposal.

Thanks for the info.

Now That is what I'm talkin bout'!!!! Yumm. Just needs some crusty bread....
It's amazing how much the cartilage and tendons cook down into flavor.
Good Stuff Sapper Dawg!!

Osso Bucco was one of our favorite things to make with the shanks over the winter. .

Here is my osso bucco looked like getting browned in my dutch oven - note this a 6-qt for a size perspective.

After seeing this I decided to cook the shanks from my cow elk. I basically used the same recipe and they were delicious. Athough they ended up needing to simmer for a total of about 9 hours. We ate some after about 6 hours and thet were quite tasty but a little chewy. Simmered them for 3 more hours the next day and they unbelievably tender and delicious.
Next time I will do the same only use a crock pot for simmering all day.

Back