elk only or combo

chadv

Just wondering if most of you are going with the elk tag or adding the big game combo for a couple more dollars? I'm getting ready to apply and wondering if being a tight @#! is the way to go. Id hate to be elk hunting and have that proverbially 170" muley walk 150yds in front of me. Also I seen GoHunt recommend getting a bear tag in certain units. Is this just a easy extra or do you need to draw this?

I think I would spend the extra money and get a big game combo. I always had chances to shoot nice white tails while elk hunt, even if it was seeing deer along the river bottoms while traveling to and from elk hunting spots. When I used hunt as a nonresident in Montana I had five times more chances of filing a deer tag, as an elk tag. I don't know much about bears.

It's only like 150$ more or so for a big game combo vs elk only combo as a NR so it's a no brainer, to me atleast . Apply for the big game combo . I look at it like this , for me I like to bring home some meat for the freezer, elk hunting can be rough , hit or miss , but deer is pretty much slam dunk if you put in some time

Planning on a NR 2018 elk combo. Only costs a little more to fly first class.

With the amount of deer and public land in Montana I would never even think about going to there without a deer tag , especially for $150 roughly more . It would be foolish in my opinion. Having said that there are times when I have the combo where I thought just one tag would be easier instead of trying to figure out which one to spend the most time on . I've shot t average deer just so I can concentrate on elk then have a big deer step in front . So to each their own I guess . Good luck to all

I'd say it depends on how, when, and where your hunting. I assume you look at deer as opportunity, but elk is the main goal. If your going early season archery, crap shoot - tough to get lucky and catch a buck in range without dedicating some time, which will ultimately screw up your elk time - I'd say no on the deer tag. Early Rifle - 50/50 easy to stumble on a shooter in range without killing your elk time - if your in for ~ $800 I'd say yes, $150 is peanuts for opportunity. If your going end of season betting on the snowfall moving the elk, deer are also in rut - so that's a definite yes. If you don't, you will see a "wish I'd had a tag deer" 100% for sure.

Granted this is New Mexico. But for 260 bucks I'm getting the bear tag. I hunt in the bear zone with the largest quota. I focus on elk. But crossed paths with some beautifully colored bears every time. One time while scouting 2 tanks on top of a mesa a bear came to drink. My buddy had a tag and if the bear got in the water he was to bolt down there figuring he'd have about 10 minutes before the bear got out. Bear gets in and I swear to God the thing is doing back strokes. Bear gets out and my buddy can't see that. Bear and him crossed paths. Apparently there was a wash out with thick scrub oak up top where my buddy was. Bear was in the wash. We were trying to get his attention but by the time he figured it out the bear went running by. I laughed my ass off because of it...and now he had to make the near vertical 350 foot climb back up.

Never know what you're gonna bump into. So if you have the means, absolutely go for it.

I'm going the last two weeks of the season. Not sure where yet but between White Sulpher and Missoula somewhere. I think LVelk said it best, deer should be in the rut while I'm there so deer tag forsure. Thanks for all the feedback.

It's only like 150$ more or so for a big game combo vs elk only combo as a NR so it's a no brainer, to me atleast . Apply for the big game combo . I look at it like this , for me I like to bring home some meat for the freezer, elk hunting can be rough , hit or miss , but deer is pretty much slam dunk if you put in some time
This ^^^^^ i couldn't agree more.
Cheers
Richard

I'm going the last two weeks of the season. Not sure where yet but between White Sulpher and Missoula somewhere. I think LVelk said it best, deer should be in the rut while I'm there so deer tag forsure. Thanks for all the feedback.

If I opted out of anything it would be the elk tag part of the combo...

Since I'm a Colorado resident, I always get the max tags I need. I get the cow and doe tags in the spring draw, the OTC general bull later on, then usually a buck tag as leftover. The one time I chose not to get a doe tag...that is all I saw that season, so I try to cover all the bases. I might not fill all of those tags, but I at least have that possibility just in case.

I"m wondering what part of the season you would be hunting. If you were thinking of getting a deer tag for some extra meat and it's during the rut there is nothing nastier than a rutty mule deer buck. You would be wasting your money on some inedible meat. Though you would have a chance at a really nice wallhanger.

I"m wondering what part of the season you would be hunting. If you were thinking of getting a deer tag for some extra meat and it's during the rut there is nothing nastier than a rutty mule deer buck. You would be wasting your money on some inedible meat. Though you would have a chance at a really nice wallhanger.

I disagree strongly.... ive shot lots of muley bucks and pretty much all from nov 15-25 right in the rut, I take care of the meat, keep it cold/clean and have never had any trouble. Now I probably wouldn't cut it up for steaks, but for sausage, roasts, etc, they have all be fabulous. I should add that I hunt the breaks, where they have a good mixture of things to eat like big grain fields, so im not hunting mountain bucks .

I disagree strongly.... ive shot lots of muley bucks and pretty much all from nov 15-25 right in the rut, I take care of the meat, keep it cold/clean and have never had any trouble. Now I probably wouldn't cut it up for steaks, but for sausage, roasts, etc, they have all be fabulous. I should add that I hunt the breaks, where they have a good mixture of things to eat like big grain fields, so im not hunting mountain bucks .

To each their own. But I cant say ive ever shot a mule deer buck I considered good eating. Edible sure, but nothing close to good elk or whitetail doe. Im picky though.

Ive found mule deer bucks to be fit for jerky and/or sausage. Other than those two uses, they are way down on my preference list.

I guess we all have our opinion own of edible.
Rutty mule deer bucks smell skunky as soon as you walk up to them. After you're done cleaning them out your hands will have that smell on them even after you wash them.

Lot of factors to consider. Are you with a group? Is money an issue? I'd say no on the deer tag as I like to focus on one animal and not get distracted by chasing both especially if we have multiple people with tags. Early season I'd say definitely no but later you might have a better chance of seeing quality animals of both. If someone has a better idea of the deer population in your elk area they can probably advise best.

Every fall when I'm archery elk hunting I grab a bear and turkey tag, just in case. It's better to have the tags and not need them, than to be covered up in animals and not be able to shoot them.

I am working on upgrading my original application of general elk to general big game combo with the plan to focus on elk during archery season and then come back for rifle mule deer! Sure beats spending 500 on a separate deer tag!

Back