Elk loads 6.5 creedmoor

I'll add some details on just elk kills for the 6.5's (6.5x47, .260AI, and 6.5 Creed) I've been shooting for the last several years. Muzzle velocities were between 2600 and 2820 on all.
--5x6 bull, 75 yds, 139 scenar, dropped instantly
--6x6 bull, 100 yds, 139 scenar, stumbled 20 yds, hit it again while moving, died instantly
--6x6 bull, 150 yds, 139 scenar, took 5 steps and died
--cow, 75 yds, 139 scenar (partner w/ my gun), dropped instantly
--cow, 200 yds, 147 ELDM, turned around and died
--spike, 175 yds, 147 ELDM (partner w/ my gun), dropped instantly
--cow, 125 yds, 147 ELDM, mediocre hit, ran 100 yds and hit it well, dropped instantly

That and punching through a pile of other deer/bears/antelope has led me to trust the 139 scenar (and the 147 to a lesser extent) as an excellent hunting bullet. If that's not enough data points it's the best I can do, I'm not that old, and I haven't killed everything with 6.5/.264's :)

There are lots of great chamberings and bullets for big game. I've learned not to blame poor bullet performance on a chambering. The OP asked what 6.5 bullets worked well for people on elk, hence my answer. If I went all-copper it would be for conservation reasons, not a lack of trust in my current bullet of choice.
The info here is a great example of hunting and getting into a good effective range that helps eliminate the various conditions you find. Thanks!!!

I use the 140 AB and it works great for deer and pronghorn. Anything bigger than mule deer, I switch to my .300 win mag 180 gr e-tips. I don't plan on doing much tracking on my first bull!

I use my 6.5 up to deer, and then switch to the 300 also. Both would work for elk, but I like a little more medicine for elk and up obviously.

Back