Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk hunting with atv’s

Four-wheelers are great to get in farther before you start your hiking/hunting. If you don't use four-wheelers and others do, you're limiting yourself. Of course you can still be successful, but why not give yourself more options. Rather have 'em and not need 'em than the other way around. I wouldn't hesitate to take camp in on a four-wheeler and head out from there.
That’s kinda my way of thinking. On my first Colorado hunt we would hike in on a 50” and under trail a few miles from the trail head, only to have atv’s pass us up. I was just thinking if I was already that deep in and hiking back in deeper we could have been more productive. It seemed like we wasted a lot of time walking the trail in and out.

I personally use them to avoid tearing up my truck, and I obey the rules. They do save a lot of time on rough 4WD roads. We utilize a utv and truck to hunt through remote canyons by shuttling via access points.
I have never met an atv er that didn't claim they obeyed the rules . to the best of my knowledge ,I have also never met one that obeyed them.

if this doesn't ring true to you , my oppologies , but it is the experience I'VE had with them.

I have never met an atv er that didn't claim they obeyed the rules . to the best of my knowledge ,I have also never met one that obeyed them.

if this doesn't ring true to you , my oppologies , but it is the experience I'VE had with them.

Ok then. Randy was driving one in Season 5, Episode 6. Colorado Rifle Elk Hunt- Suppose he didn't obey the rules either?

View attachment 111610

I've seen more full size trucks off road than atv's, by a large margin.
So that's worse, or better?

Trucks off road make an obvious mess. They can't even begin to get to the places atvs can legally go, Offtrail damage and hunter disruption way back in are only the start of the problem. The next idiot comes along, sees tracks leaving the trail, can't resist...

Last edited:
Before ATV's guys in jeeps and 4x4's went off road where they shouldn't have. Same BS just different vehicle type and many more doing it.
There should be stiff penalty's for these people, not just a fine but some time to sit and think of what they did wrong......say 30 days in the county jail first offense and go up from there. Money doesn't mean much to some of these jerks but their freedom does.

Never been a fan of ATVs for hunting. I’m sure they have their advantages I just like to have peace and quiet and would rather walk.

Also I’ve killed more deer walking back to the truck after a morning hunt.

I’ve ran into way too many atv where they shouldn’t be after I had walked several miles to get there so I’m not a huge fan. On the other hand though, when they truly follow the rules, In my experience it seems when your in a unit with a ton of atv’s there is always a hunter within a few hundred yards of it as opposed to several miles in. I find it easier to get away from the crowds in those areas due to the fact they don’t seem to venture far from the quad.

I’ve ran into way too many atv where they shouldn’t be after I had walked several miles to get there so I’m not a huge fan. On the other hand though, when they truly follow the rules, In my experience it seems when your in a unit with a ton of atv’s there is always a hunter within a few hundred yards of it as opposed to several miles in. I find it easier to get away from the crowds in those areas due to the fact they don’t seem to venture far from the quad.
maybe since the law can clearly not enforce ATV restriction laws , we need a law saying hunters have the right to push ATVs ,found in unrestricted areas off the mtn.(y)😁 sure it will lead to much conflict but life is conflict and evil reigns when good men do nothing!

it has become accepted practice for ATVers to break laws , BECAUSE WE have allowed it to become acceptable.
might be a good thing for people to ,once again solve their own problems instead of looking to others to solve them.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back