Elk hunting with atv’s

My favorite is when they’re driving perfectly smooth county roads, where you could easily and comfortably drive your large trucks.

My favorite is when they’re driving perfectly smooth county roads, where you could easily and comfortably drive your large trucks.
I have zero issues with that, so long as it is legal.
I hunt areas where the logging roads have been closed to all motorized vehicles , yet there is seldom a day during hunting season that you won't find an atv , traveling them. can't tell you how often I have seen the road closed signs torn down and tossed in the brush.
I won't go so far as to say ALL atv ers break such laws(even though I believe it to be so) but MOST do.

it could be bread and butter for law enforcement agencies , in fines collected . yet there is very little , to zero enforcement ???????????
why??????????
I can only conclude that those who could enforce , also own ATVs , and also break same laws.
if a law can't or won't, be enforced, there is no reason to have such laws and we may as well just open them back up to all.

Last edited:
When I started the thread my intentions were not to just run the trails in out everyday on my atv. I also prefer to hunt on foot. I was thinking more along the lines of loading all camping and hunting gear on it and get further than I would on just foot alone. From there I could set up camp, and leave it and the atv there for days at a time possibly while getting deeper into areas on foot than I could have walking in and out from the trailhead every day. It was never about being lazy or doing anything illegal for me. I just thought it would be an option for getting in deeper from the truck.

When I started the thread my intentions were not to just run the trails in out everyday on my atv. I also prefer to hunt on foot. I was thinking more along the lines of loading all camping and hunting gear on it and get further than I would on just foot alone. From there I could set up camp, and leave it and the atv there for days at a time possibly while getting deeper into areas on foot than I could have walking in and out from the trailhead every day. It was never about being lazy or doing anything illegal for me. I just thought it would be an option for getting in deeper from the truck.
and I have zero issues with you doing that, so long as the roads you travel are legal for your atv. my issue comes from those who use their ATVs to pack in further when the roads are closed and I stand by my statement that I do not believe I have ever met an ATVer that didn't break the law doing just that. not on every hunt , but at one time or another .
ATVs can be a great tool for hunting, if used correctly. problem is , it seems the temptation is just to great for folks to bear .

as I stated above ,if this is not so , my oppologies , but I still believe this to be true.

So, what do you think about atv users?
it's not just ATV users . it is human nature to choose wrong over right when it is believed one can get away with it without others knowing. sure not in all things ,in every instance but without a doubt ,more often then ALL would care to admit.

the hearts of ALL men is inherently evil. it's just the way it is.

the number 1 reason it is so, is the fact that it is taboo to speak of such flaws.

You guys have no idea how many atv tracks there were going around this sign in AZ unit 1 during archery season.

Make sure and look at my day by day this year for archery season and possibly rifle season, will be my main mode of transportation unfortunately, it is totally doable.
Matt

Strap a long range rifle on one, and you're golden. No excuses. mtmuley

Right. No need to even leave the road unless you see the animal drop. That long range crap disgusts me. And I don't care what anyone says otherwise.

To me, I think the problem isn't with trucks or ATVs alone. It is combined with the view you have to "get deeper". The ATV allows you to do something that is easier than packing in - the reason you asked the ?. I don't have any problem with calling that laziness. We are all "lazy". I want to do what is easiest for me, too. The problem is hunters become there own worst enemy when "lazy" becomes just making it harder and destroying things for everyone else in the process. Here is an example. A section in central Montana I liked to hunt is checkerboard BLM, state blocks, and Private. Last year hunters discovered they could cut a state block corner (not allowed, but ranchers did it so there was a pair of truck-trail tracks that made them think it was ok) to get on to BLM to drive for 2 miles to get a spot that allowed them a shortcut to intercept elk as they went from one private section to another because the elk had to cut across BLM. The problem is when they drove that route, and wanted to cut a mile off of their walk, they decided to park in a narrow strip of trees less than 1/4 mile long. That stand was a north facing slope and was heavily used by elk. Needless to say, I went through the stand a couple of times and glassed it heavily and never saw an elk there last year. Maybe something to note, when you park your truck next to pine tree an elk destroyed in the pre-rut, you picked a bad parking spot. I'm not mad at anyone for doing it, but c'mon people look around and think. I have no problem using an ATV to go from base camp to a hunting spot, but don't drive through prime elk habitat to get there or save yourself a 20 min hike.
State agencies put up those signs because ATVs are destructive. In dry states I'm sure it takes years from grass to grow back in tracks. And often it is invasive species that grow back first. See the post on sweet clover. Nothing grows on BLM road tracks in central Montana better than that clover.

SJ

I'm a disabled vet with multiple back surgeries, using my side x side is really the only option for me to get into the back country. I can hike and pack game out, but not very far. Maybe a mile... 2 if I bone them out and make multiple trips. Taking atvs/utvs away would take away my only passion outside of my family. I am a public land, fair chase hunter. I feel they are extremely useful. I do however, dislike dirtbikes on hiking trails in Idaho. It's always a bummer to get back in there only to be passed by a bike.

I'm a disabled vet with multiple back surgeries, using my side x side is really the only option for me to get into the back country. I can hike and pack game out, but not very far. Maybe a mile... 2 if I bone them out and make multiple trips. Taking atvs/utvs away would take away my only passion outside of my family. I am a public land, fair chase hunter. I feel they are extremely useful. I do however, dislike dirtbikes on hiking trails in Idaho. It's always a bummer to get back in there only to be passed by a bike.

Are you being passed by dirt bikes on trails that are designated for dirt bikes, or are these encounters coming on foot/horse-traffic-only trails? The MVUM's show dotted-line trails as being motorcycle trails and I for one am a user of them from time to time. If you are seeing motorcycles on foot/horse trails then shame on the dirt bike rider for going there.....gives us dirt bikers that follow the rules a bad name and eventually affects access.

Are you being passed by dirt bikes on trails that are designated for dirt bikes, or are these encounters coming on foot/horse-traffic-only trails? The MVUM's show dotted-line trails as being motorcycle trails and I for one am a user of them from time to time. If you are seeing motorcycles on foot/horse trails then shame on the dirt bike rider for going there.....gives us dirt bikers that follow the rules a bad name and eventually affects access.
I've been passed on both. I understand the legal roads... but foot paths tend to upset me. I got passed by 3 dirtbikes out in the owyhee wilderness last year.

As several others have mentioned they do save wear and tear on the truck... Personally, in the hunting areas I've been - I tend to see more damage done by hunters/people in full size trucks.... There are plenty of trucks that shouldn't be going in far as they do - when stuff is a bit soft, the trucks just rut everything up.... Not to mention some of the steeper\narrower trails are often dicey in a full size rig... Not fun having to back down 400 yards down a steep mountain trail because only one vehicle can pass...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back