Elk Hunting Partner needed

buckykm1

My regular hunting partner is retiring, and it sounds like he won't be making anymore trips out west with me after 2015.

I really don't have any friends interested or can afford to make yearly trips out west, So I thought that I would give this a try.

I am 61 years old, and my Wife says that I am to old to make anymore trips alone.
I have been going out west on and off sense 1986 and figure that I have 10 years left yet that I can still Elk hunt.

I live in the Kalamazoo, MI area, and would like to find someone interested in yearly DIY Elk hunts with me. It would be a Rifle hunt, I usually go the last 2 weeks of October.

The last 5 years I have hunted SW MT. and will probably continue to hunt there.

I have all the camping gear, and it is all first class.
The 2 week trip usually cost about $1800.00 each, that includes pretty much everything, license, gas, food in camp and a motel each way on the trip.

Ideally someone from Michigan or a near by State would be ideal.

If you are interested, lets talk.

I do have 2 rules in my camp that are Zero tolerance.
1 - no drugs.
2 - no alcohol of any kind during hunting hours.

Kevin

Funny how hard it is to find folks in the midwest to head west with you. I've talked to lots of folks that are 'interested', but when it comes down to paying for tags or actually leaving on trips they don't follow through.

I might be interested in hooking up with you some year, but I can commit to an annual thing as I put in for lots of things in lots of states. The draws can drastically change my plans for a year. That said, good luck and I hope you find the person your looking for!

It seems half the nonresident hunters in colorado are from Michigan. Great guys too at least the ones I run across. You should be able to connect with some easily enough.

Most importantly, in what sad alternate universe does your wife get to dictate if you can on a solo hunt. Among other things there are options to stay connected if desired and that is the issue. Sounds like you have a ton of experience.

When i fail to turn up after a hunt I will then be "too old to hunt alone". But until that happens I am good to go.

I have never much been concerned about my wife stopping me from going alone. She knows better than to try and if I die, she will live well!:) I just turned 60 and there are very few mountains that I cannot climb. I did one of the most treacherous hunts that I have ever done last January in Wyoming. I had a young friend with me, though. I will do it on my terms and not what someone else says.

Years back, I was in Colorado hunting cow elk. There was a guy named Jim Turner camped across from us that was 67 years old. He was a tough old truck driver from Indiana. He drove out by himself every year. He did not care to walk too far, but was in good shape. He knew his stuff and had a good camp. He had some friends around for a day or two, but was fine by himself.

The following year, he was camped in another location and we went to visit him the day before the season. He looked bad and felt worse. We went on, as he had friends coming. We found out later that he got so bad that a woman who ran an outfit near there took him to town. Turned out, he had a brain tumor and ended up in Denver. He had an operation and his relatives took him home. I had wondered about him and low and behold he called me one day. He did not sound good. He said that he had to have another surgery to get the rest of the tumor. I never heard from him again.

I guess the point that I am trying to make is that just like Jim, I will take my chances in the high country. If I die there, at least I am not rotting away in a stinking bed somewhere. Nobody makes it out of here alive and I would rather die on a mountain any day. I will go as long as I have the physical ability and desire to do so.

Who Knows

Maybe your Wife doesn't care if you come back.
Mine does, and hunting alone in the mountains 1650 miles from home isn't a good idea for any one.
and life is much simpler when the Wife is happy.

But, I must say you guys talk pretty big, when your writing something you know your Wife won't see it.:hump::rolleyes:

Kevin

Mine does, and hunting alone in the mountains 1650 miles from home isn't a good idea for any one.

But, I must say you guys talk pretty big, when your writing something you know your Wife won't see it.:hump::rolleyes:

Kevin

I don't appreciate your tones and my wife DOES see it. If you doubt what I say, then ask her yourself. If you do not have the desire or ability to go alone, then you definitely SHOULD find someone to bail you out. Don't start talking crap about something that you do not know. I have spent a good part of my life hunting with partners or alone-no difference. If I want to, I will go. Yes, my wife is concerned, but that is not going to be the deciding factor. Don't look for a partner and then talk crap about people that are willing to go it alone.

Kevin

Does your wife tell you what you can and can't do in all aspects of your life? You like to talk shit, but yet you cow down to your wife's wishes about hunting. Grow a set and go hunting, partner or not.

Dang, all the guy asked for was if someone wanted to go west and hunt with him. Who cares why he is looking for a hunting partner?

I'm getting tired of people getting their balls busted, no matter what they say or do around here. If you are tempted to be a wise crack to someone, I ask that you do it somewhere else.

Hunting season cannot get here soon enough.

My wife asks me to make sure I have a partner when I hunt in grizz country. Out of courtesy to her, that is what I do. If that makes me some sort of candyass, so be it. I am glad to be a candyass who gets to hunt a lot and comes home to a happy wife. :D

Good luck on your hunts, Kevin. Hope you find someone to tag along. For me, it's always more fun to hunt with another person. I enjoy the camaraderie and we can usually eliminate more country with two of us, than with one.

Asking for a partner was all well and good until he started in with his taunting about whether or not our wives read this and how big and bad we can be. I'm not going to argue with you, Randy, or try to get myself kicked off of the forum...but manners go a long way...and I know I have been close to getting the boot on more than one occasion, but I learned the hard way to be able to stay here. But, just like in school....dude popped off at the mouth and got it right back. I agree that hunting season can't get here quick enough as well.

Last edited:
It's the yearly thing that holds me up. While it would be great to do now and then, I have other things planned with my wife that would be taking up my vacation time. Trying to find a retirement home in Alaska and taking some trips there scouting out property as well as just spending time in the state. I just can't commit to every year but it sure sounds nice! Good luck finding a new partner.

Kevin , I can't hunt early season rifle in Montana due construction. I'm planning to hunt late season last week or two. Im a resident and will probably plan hunts over 4-5 day periods. Don't know if that doable for you, but you can give me a call. Plan to hunt around Wise River/Dillon areas. Hope you find a group to tag along with. Preston 4062101697

My regular hunting partner is retiring, and it sounds like he won't be making anymore trips out west with me after 2015.

I really don't have any friends interested or can afford to make yearly trips out west, So I thought that I would give this a try.

I am 61 years old, and my Wife says that I am to old to make anymore trips alone.
I have been going out west on and off sense 1986 and figure that I have 10 years left yet that I can still Elk hunt.

I live in the Kalamazoo, MI area, and would like to find someone interested in yearly DIY Elk hunts with me. It would be a Rifle hunt, I usually go the last 2 weeks of October.

The last 5 years I have hunted SW MT. and will probably continue to hunt there.

I have all the camping gear, and it is all first class.
The 2 week trip usually cost about $1800.00 each, that includes pretty much everything, license, gas, food in camp and a motel each way on the trip.

Ideally someone from Michigan or a near by State would be ideal.

If you are interested, lets talk.

I do have 2 rules in my camp that are Zero tolerance.
1 - no drugs.
2 - no alcohol of any kind during hunting hours.

Kevin

Well I think the guy was just doing a little poking no harm intended probaly that is the problem with seeing something on a PC screen I guess you really don't know. Heck if I were you guys I'd be out finding my next trophy elk they should be getting some pretty good rack by now..... Kevin I hope you find someone that will fit the bill I am sure you will on here lots of good fellas. And once again hurry up opening day so we can take the edge off.

Hunting partner

I asked about a hunting partner, not on anyone's opinion on whether I need one or not.
I don't know why I even bothered posting it, when everyone just wants to be a jerk about it.
telling me what Macho men they are, and how I should hunt.

Kevin

Last edited:
I live in the U.P. and have been heading out west every since 2011, with a group of friends. One of my friends lives in Grand Rapids. We've been to Wyoming twice for Antelope and to Colorado once for Elk....heading to Colorado for Elk again this year. We've talked about hunting Montana a few times but haven't started planning yet. If I didn't have a group of friends to go with every year, I'd be real interested.

Dang, all the guy asked for was if someone wanted to go west and hunt with him. Who cares why he is looking for a hunting partner?

I'm getting tired of people getting their balls busted, no matter what they say or do around here. If you are tempted to be a wise crack to someone, I ask that you do it somewhere else.

My wife asks me to make sure I have a partner when I hunt in grizz country. Out of courtesy to her, that is what I do. If that makes me some sort of candyass, so be it. I am glad to be a candyass who gets to hunt a lot and comes home to a happy wife. :D

Good luck on your hunts, Kevin. Hope you find someone to tag along. For me, it's always more fun to hunt with another person. I enjoy the camaraderie and we can usually eliminate more country with two of us, than with one.
I Agree with Finn,
Also buckykm unfortunately I would not be able to accompany on such an adventure but I do live in the vicinity you are talking about so if you get a trip planned you can surely PM me for weather updates or ideas for areas to look at while your here if you need a little help. Also I don't know if you would rather have meat or horns but some of the areas here in SW MT have changed a little allowing cow harvest on a general tag all season long so that may open up a few opportunities.
Best of luck with the hunting party and the hunt!:D

THIS!!! :hump:

Interested in Indiana

Kevin,
I am located in South Bend, IN and am interested in your offer. I PM'd you earlier this morning-I think we may be able to work something out. Thanks-Brian

These things read like a creepy singles section. Good luck on picking the right man :D

Just kidding. I've hunted with a few people I met on this site and plan to hunt with another this September.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back